Compiling DLLs without a $300 Program?

_Augustus_

I've been using Monodevelop for a few months now, both on my Macbook (when I lost my PC and main developmental tools) and on my current machine (another PC to replace the last one)

You can edit source files, including opening up Visual Studios solutions files. And of course, compile. Compilation is supposed to be against .NET 3.5 but I've compiled against 4.0 and my mod runs just fine. (for some reason Monodevelop throws errors saying my code uses 4.0 features even though it was compiling on the Mac using 3.5....)

Edit: (the downloads below include MonoDevelop. You will want to update any references and make sure that the references include links to Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll. In rare cases you may also need to reference Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll but it's not usually necessary. You'll be told when it is necessary.)

Download Unity3D

Latest version is 4.5.4

http://unity3d.com/unity/download

I'm using 4.5.2 because I wasn't sure hitherto unknown 'issues' might bite me in the assets

http://unity3d.com/unity/download/archive

Oh, and one final edit (sigh... people...)

You don't have to pay $300 for Visual Studios. You don't even have to pay a dime. Before I started using MonoDevelop I was using Visual Studios Express which is free. Microsoft does require you to register it meaning they want your email address and will then give you a registration key. Remember, they WANT you to use their product to put more programs out there. They're not going to require you to purchase expensive licenses unless you're a big corporation that can afford it. They're totally willing to GIVE their development tools away for free.

Edited by Starwaster

I've been using Monodevelop for a few months now, both on my Macbook (when I lost my PC and main developmental tools) and on my current machine (another PC to replace the last one)

You can edit source files, including opening up Visual Studios solutions files. And of course, compile. Compilation is supposed to be against .NET 3.5 but I've compiled against 4.0 and my mod runs just fine. (for some reason Monodevelop throws errors saying my code uses 4.0 features even though it was compiling on the Mac using 3.5....)

Edit: (the downloads below include MonoDevelop. You will want to update any references and make sure that the references include links to Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll. In rare cases you may also need to reference Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll but it's not usually necessary. You'll be told when it is necessary.)

Download Unity3D

Latest version is 4.5.4

http://unity3d.com/unity/download

I'm using 4.5.2 because I wasn't sure hitherto unknown 'issues' might bite me in the assets

http://unity3d.com/unity/download/archive

Oh, and one final edit (sigh... people...)

You don't have to pay $300 for Visual Studios. You don't even have to pay a dime. Before I started using MonoDevelop I was using Visual Studios Express which is free. Microsoft does require you to register it meaning they want your email address and will then give you a registration key. Remember, they WANT you to use their product to put more programs out there. They're not going to require you to purchase expensive licenses unless you're a big corporation that can afford it. They're totally willing to GIVE their development tools away for free.

Okay... don't know HOW to compile exactly... I'm still working on some tweaks.. If anyone would compile the source for me that would be really great :D Contact me!

Okay... don't know HOW to compile exactly... I'm still working on some tweaks.. If anyone would compile the source for me that would be really great :D Contact me!

Every now and then over the past few hours I've come back to this and read it with a troubled expression on my face. Sarbian's right, and I'm hesitant about saying anything to discourage someone who wants to take up modding from doing so. You've been given two options to choose from that will let you edit and compile source code or even start creating your own mod from scratch if you were of a mind to do that.

But if you don't even know how to compile (that's the easy part btw), why are you making changes to source code? You're not really just asking someone to compile; that person has to troubleshoot your changes when it doesn't compile properly. How do you know how to modify the source in the first place? If you really want this done you should take ownership of the problem, download either MonoDevelop or Visual Studio Express and learn to code. There's a lot of resources on the forum to help you get started.

VS has free version as well, then there is Mono, plus maybe other.

And all you need to compile is the compiler, you don't need the development studio really but you can get the free version and not have to compile the sources via command line instead press a compile button in an IDE and hope it all works it's magic and all references and libraries and what else it needs are all there.

On a small OT: I have that 300$ program, and well... If all you are using is C#, then the express version is really the same. Unless you need to use the other .net languages, the pro version is really not worth the price imho.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.