need help with lander/delivery design for my rover

MeCripp, looks like you copied the link text instead of the link itself.

Endl,

Can you be a bit more clear about what you mean with "i cant get this to fly right with mechjeb"? If you are trying to get it to fly like a plane, there isn't nearly enough wing area and I would guess your CoT/CoM/CoL relationships are all out of alignment. Or is this some kind of sub component that you're attaching to a larger lifter? I think we need a few more details about the intended use.

Cheers,

~Claw

I thought the subject was enough info, my apologies. its a rover that breaks down into 3 separate vehicles. my problem is i cant get it into orbit, i also need to design a lander for these. any rocket i attach these to is highly unstable with mechjeb. regardless of the components involved. the wings are not there for launch. its a recon drone thats meant to fly on its own.

To put it lightly, you're putting the horse before the carriage. Then putting another carriage on the horse and then attaching mini carriages to the horses legs. This craft of yours is unreasonably complex. Break it down into individual missions.

Actually the center of mass is centered. I was quite surprised when I loaded it.

But as the other said you should keep your payload simpler. There are a few problems :

- The wings on one side of the pay load. As soon as the rocket starts turning you'll get large forces making the rocket turn even more => looping. You can avoid this by turning slower.

- you need to use struts to avoid oscillation. Put struts between the 3 parts of the ship. They ll cut themselves when you undock / separate them.

- your engines thrust into other part => this negate their thrust. Don't have your engines pointed at other part (like your recon plane tail)

As for MJ flying it : first make sure you have a probe part pointing up before staring the ascend AP (the navball must be fully blue).

Make sure the payload don't swing or you'll get in an growing oscillation and MJ won't control much at that point

You could try making the turn later and slower by toying with the ascent path editor, but you d start getting bad habit by doing it ...

There : https://www.sarbian.com/sarbian/ESSM-VS-Multi_Rover_Ship.craft

Ascent Guidance :

- Obit Alt 100km

Ascent path :

- Turn Start 6.9 Km

- Turn shape 65%

Attitude Adujstement

- Tf Range Max 0.2

Use "control from here" on the probe at the top of the rocket part

It's not exactly my style of rocket, but goes to orbit with 460 m/s left.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.