Esinohio's Blender farm

esinohio

Greetings XCOM Commanders! Pandoras Kitten made this awesome replica of the XCOM Skyranger. Below we see our brave KerbalCom soldiers fast roping down to root out the Kraken infestation. Danger awaits!!

Find this craft here!!

http://i.imgur.com/TIWZHFO.png

Very nice! One bit of criticism is that the trees look really ugly. How does the image look without the ones at the left?

Very nice! One bit of criticism is that the trees look really ugly. How does the image look without the ones at the left?

I am not happy with the trees either really. I tried to go low poly and it appears those trees would look better further out. Anything close is gonna need some detail. My hat goes off to all the modders out there who made all those awesome parts with so few polys! Truly an art there in making the low poly assets look nice. High poly is easy, low poly is hard!! Oh well, I'll have to rework those into full on textured trees.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck yeah I would Zekes! Although I'm not sure I can make it look better than your awesome touch up work shown on your release thread for that tank.

I am not happy with the trees either really. I tried to go low poly and it appears those trees would look better further out. Anything close is gonna need some detail. My hat goes off to all the modders out there who made all those awesome parts with so few polys! Truly an art there in making the low poly assets look nice. High poly is easy, low poly is hard!! Oh well, I'll have to rework those into full on textured trees.

The "X-KOM" crossover fanart is really taking off! Nearly 10,000 views on your original image on imgur, and pushing 7k on my slightly retouched version after I shared it on Reddit to /r/KerbalSpaceprogram and /r/XCom subreddits. I was guilty at first for throwing a whole wall of concept text at you but the result is stunning and the X-Com redditors loved it so far. We are also going to collaborate to build more X-Com craft, like the Raven and Firestorm interceptors which will definitely push the limits of my small-craft engineering knowhow to the limits - it's not easy building augmented fighters with that much power crammed into a tiny airframe!

So far, no one has commented about the trees, I'm fine with it as they are lol. The windmill, if we insisted on having it there, might look out of place due to the perspective you settled on (that looks splendid).

I was playing Enemy Within today, and was treated to an awesome cutscene with Big Sky setting the Skyranger down in an urban area! Just swooped down the street and disgorged the troops out the ramp. Take as much time as you need if you want to continue with the urban scene - I was thinking you can actually set it up so that you can have multiple takes of the same/similar area, to enable production of a simple webcomic or photo story, first showing the aliens trashing the place, flipping trucks and scaring Kerbals out of snack shops, then an image of the Skyranger swooping down the street, doors open and flaring to land, with the camera in the jet wash behind the craft and lots of snack wrappers flying around in the blast.

Edited by pandoras kitten

The "X-KOM" crossover fanart is really taking off! Nearly 10,000 views on your original image on imgur, and pushing 7k on my slightly retouched version after I shared it on Reddit to /r/KerbalSpaceprogram and /r/XCom subreddits. I was guilty at first for throwing a whole wall of concept text at you but the result is stunning and the X-Com redditors loved it so far. We are also going to collaborate to build more X-Com craft, like the Raven and Firestorm interceptors which will definitely push the limits of my small-craft engineering knowhow to the limits - it's not easy building augmented fighters with that much power crammed into a tiny airframe!

So far, no one has commented about the trees, I'm fine with it as they are lol. The windmill, if we insisted on having it there, might look out of place due to the perspective you settled on (that looks splendid).

I was playing Enemy Within today, and was treated to an awesome cutscene with Big Sky setting the Skyranger down in an urban area! Just swooped down the street and disgorged the troops out the ramp. Take as much time as you need if you want to continue with the urban scene - I was thinking you can actually set it up so that you can have multiple takes of the same/similar area, to enable production of a simple webcomic or photo story, first showing the aliens trashing the place, flipping trucks and scaring Kerbals out of snack shops, then an image of the Skyranger swooping down the street, doors open and flaring to land, with the camera in the jet wash behind the craft and lots of snack wrappers flying around in the blast.

Well, I can only take a tiny bit of credit. It's your craft combined with the original artwork you found from Piero MacGowan that is simply amazing!! Really glad you liked it and wanted it posted. Can't wait to see those other replicas! I'm sure we can get them into all kinds of trouble when your done with them :wink:

Edited by esinohio

Are you having fun messing with my custom textures? :D

Yep, they appear to have worked out fine. A few oddball scaling issues to work though. I'd have to further tinker with those textures in an effort to get the coloring to match up on the rearward facing cone and ram air intakes but I think it is doable. All in all not a bad import. Was this something you wanted in a pretty render?

qj1Rnzz.png

Edited by esinohio

Yep, they appear to have worked out fine. A few oddball scaling issues to work though. I'd have to further tinker with those textures in an effort to get the coloring to match up on the rearward facing cone and ram air intakes but I think it is doable. All in all not a bad import. Was this something you wanted in a pretty render?

http://i.imgur.com/qj1Rnzz.png

It looks as though the darker shaded nosecone and ram intakes are the same color of gray as my highlight color... I wouldn't really mind if you left them that color for the renders xD

Was this something you wanted in a pretty render?

If your up to it, yes please. :) If not that's fine too.

It looks as though the darker shaded nosecone and ram intakes are the same color of gray as my highlight color... I wouldn't really mind if you left them that color for the renders xD

If your up to it, yes please. :) If not that's fine too.

Well then I guess I'll get to work :D

Jeb takes a selfie while piloting the lead Volta fighter. More of this one soon! You can find the Volta Fighter along with links to custom textures here!!

http://i.imgur.com/OZU5EDc.png

That one looks great. :D

However, giving it a second of thought, that cockpit isn't really the cockpit, is it? :P

Did you build it? And did you use a semi-transparent image for that control panel reflection? (Because I think I can see through it.)

That one looks great. :D

However, giving it a second of thought, that cockpit isn't really the cockpit, is it? :P

Did you build it? And did you use a semi-transparent image for that control panel reflection? (Because I think I can see through it.)

Build it? oh heck no! Hehe. While that would really make it pop the reflection is just an image behind the camera set to project itself as an emission, no transparency. The glass on the helmet was modified slightly from the original texture to make it reflective like a real helmet faceplate but kept the same normal map on the surface. Making a complete cockpit would be a fun project but my OCD for building things like that would turn into a complete long and drawn out project itself! Still, a highly detailed cockpit IVA with photoreal textures would be fun to make for future render projects. Who knows :)

**edit: You might be seeing an errant reflection from the HDRI that is helping light the scene. Need to find a better one to use for high altitude shots.

**another edit: Hey! When do we get another image to salivate over from your render farm?!?! I'm working on a small simple rover for a Mun base I was hoping I could con you into rendering.

Edited by esinohio

Esinohio - some hints of my current craft project. If BlueCanary's K-150 Kraptor and my performance oriented variants take off, we might come knocking for some Kerbal Automotive Program renders for the trucks.

I did some prototype scenes in-game just to have a feel of how I would market the vehicle with photos:

K6zEokf.jpg

im1Mit9.jpg

Jeb takes a selfie while piloting the lead Volta fighter. More of this one soon! You can find the Volta Fighter along with links to custom textures here!!

http://i.imgur.com/OZU5EDc.png

OMG! I like that view too... *can't think of more words to say* ... Dude... That's awesome. :D One of the moments I wish I could give more rep.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

**another edit: Hey! When do we get another image to salivate over from your render farm?!?! I'm working on a small simple rover for a Mun base I was hoping I could con you into rendering.

I've got a bunch of stuff to catch up on IRL, so once that's done (a few weeks, max), I'll be back to rendering.

Have you read up on displacement using particle systems or a smoke modifier? It would make those jet takeoff scenes look really cool.

You should also experiment with manual smoke using a texture to displace a very simple mesh; they would make the smoke for the big launches very high fidelity without having to fiddle with generated smoke.

Have you read up on displacement using particle systems or a smoke modifier? It would make those jet takeoff scenes look really cool.

You should also experiment with manual smoke using a texture to displace a very simple mesh; they would make the smoke for the big launches very high fidelity without having to fiddle with generated smoke.

I'm messed around a bit with making clouds and such using simple shapes that are displaced and have a scatter material. A Duna scene I've been working on uses that method to give me a large billowing sandstorm moving in on a sprawling ground base I setup. Actually looks very close to a real storm so far and with luck I'll be able to post it soon. The only annoying part about using that method for launch smoke is getting the shape and displacements correct. At least for me anyway I've had some issues getting it to look right. So I guess I can say I've been experimenting with both methods.

Hey can you do renders with mod parts? The download for this with its mod list is on my thread linked in my sig if its possible.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/v8jester1/KSP%20Spaceship%20One/screenshot7_zpsvdlimkaw.png~original

I believe he has said time and time again that he is reluctant to render crafts with mod parts because of the need to download all the stuff associated with your craft.

Bummer, oh well it was worth a try. These renders look amazing!

I can give them a try if Endersman is busy. That craft of course just looks amazing!

**edit: Checked and the first stumbling block are those procedural parts. Last check they won't import :(

I can give them a try if Endersman is busy. That craft of course just looks amazing!

**edit: Checked and the first stumbling block are those procedural parts. Last check they won't import :(

I'm not busy. :)

Also, p-wings can be fudged. Just make a square mesh and make it into a wing. Takes a while but it works.