Nearly Bricked my Computer

SteevyT

Well, my computer decided it was going to do a bunch if stupid stuff so I decided to reinstall Windows. I formatted the hard drive and went through the installation, and when I went to type in the product key, I couldn\'t read the sticker because it had worn off. Well, I called Microsoft to see what they could do. (I was kind of hopind that they would give me a key when I explained what happened) they didn\'t. So I thought my computer was dead. Out of desperation, I put the recovery disk i had made several weeks ago, and it turns out it worked. I\'m currently reimaging my hard drive. It isn\'t ideal because the problem will come back in a couple days, but at least I have a computer.

Erm. I could send you my number if you\'d like...I believe I have a spare disc lying around that never got used

Edit: Or you could try out Win8. But you\'d have to revert before the final release, otherwise you\'ll be stuck

If you have a working computer, here\'s what you do:

Step 1: Find your current key using a small third-party utility. A quick google search will turn up a few.

Step 2: Write the key on the installation CD using a permanent marker.

Erm. I could send you my number if you\'d like...I believe I have a spare disc lying around that never got used

Edit: Or you could try out Win8. But you\'d have to revert before the final release, otherwise you\'ll be stuck

I think dual booting Win 8 caused the issue. It doesn\'t like my campus wifi anyway so the touchy startup on Win 7 that I\'m having is better than Win8.

If you have a working computer, here\'s what you do:

Step 1: Find your current key using a small third-party utility. A quick google search will turn up a few.

Step 2: Write key on the installation CD using a permanent marker.

The hard drive was formatted. I\'ll be trying to get the key though once I have a working computer again though. (I would guess in about half an hour at the current rate the bar is move.g on reimaging)

There\'s also linux.

Nah, I like my games and compatibility with campus stuff too much. (Even Windows 8 has compatibility issues with campus stuff)

I got it working, found the restore partition. I now have a nice clean install of Windows 7.

Nah, I like my games and compatibility with campus stuff too much. (Even Windows 8 has compatibility issues with campus stuff)

I got it working, found the restore partition. I now have a nice clean install of Windows 7.

I would also get Malawarebytes just in case a virus is doing this.

Well, my computer decided it was going to do a bunch if stupid stuff so I decided to reinstall Windows. I formatted the hard drive and went through the installation, and when I went to type in the product key, I couldn\'t read the sticker because it had worn off. Well, I called Microsoft to see what they could do. (I was kind of hopind that they would give me a key when I explained what happened) they didn\'t. So I thought my computer was dead. Out of desperation, I put the recovery disk i had made several weeks ago, and it turns out it worked. I\'m currently reimaging my hard drive. It isn\'t ideal because the problem will come back in a couple days, but at least I have a computer.

That wouldn\'t brick it. That just means you have to reinstall the OS again. Try doing a bios update and unplug the power in the middle of it. THAT might brick it, if it doesn\'t have a backup bios.

I used Ubuntu a year and a half when I accidentally my hard-drive.

You can use WINE to run Windows programs and games just fine.

but if you want you can get the Windows 8 beta version. It\'s just like Windows 7 when you get to the normal desktop.

That wouldn\'t brick it. That just means you have to reinstall the OS again. Try doing a bios update and unplug the power in the middle of it. THAT might brick it, if it doesn\'t have a backup bios.

Don\'t most new motherboards have a dual bios to revert back to if something like this happens?

Mine does atleast. o:

but if you want you can get the Windows 8 beta version. It\'s just like Windows 7 when you get to the normal desktop.

Don\'t most new motherboards have a dual bios to revert back to if something like this happens?

Mine does atleast. o:

No.

I have a 2yr old PC that only has 1 BiOS (might be because the motherboard is an HP one...)

I would also get Malawarebytes just in case a virus is doing this.

Had Malwarebytes before I did the full reset. Now I only have Avast and MSE. They seem to do well enough.

I don\'t think it was actually a virus, I think I screwed something up myself by forcing my computer to do stuff it probably shouldn\'t.

Mine does atleast. o:

Wrong, windows 8 still has huge compatibility issues with many softwares even on legacy desktop (seriously, changing desktop does not change compatibility)

WINE has a low success rate of obtaining 100% compatibility. Kerbal runs fine under wine (minus the right click to move camera issue, have to use arrows) but many other programs don\'t. I-tunes for example is hopeless.

Wrong, windows 8 still has huge compatibility issues with many softwares even on legacy desktop (seriously, changing desktop does not change compatibility)

WINE has a low success rate of obtaining 100% compatibility. Kerbal runs fine under wine (minus the right click to move camera issue, have to use arrows) but many other programs don\'t. I-tunes for example is hopeless.

I never said it would change compatibility. I didn\'t even know it had compatibility issues.

But when I used WINE just about everything I tried would work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.