What is Kerbal Space Program ?

EnderSpace

Hi I have been thinking about topic but then I remember "what is KSP ?"

When I ever started KSP I didn't know anything about it , I just see Scott Manley tutorials and learn how to go up then little right and then orbit and I see all tutorials , but Scott was missing something.

( Science , Math , Angles , Mass , Delta V and many thing that kerbal space program is about was missing , and then I realized what I'm doing is not kerbal space program.

what I'm doing is just copying tutorials and that sadly what 60% of players do , they only think they should not learn science and math and other things they only think that they should only blast off with rocket to other planets and do what tutorials do , yes tutorials is the best way to learn a game but sadly the most dump players don't learn they only copy and copy that is not Kerbal Space Program that's , that is Copying Space Program , I'm not kidding.

then I think many of you want to know what is kerbal space program is , What is it , it's a game make you know space very well and make you smarter ,also How Hard is Rocket Science anyway ? I see many people stop playing it after 2 or 3 months , because they are not that smart to understand what is Kerbal Space Program and they are not interested in space and math they want only to play games don't need your mind like call of duty and minecraft.

now I can tell thanks to SQUAD

- thanks for making the only Science Space Game in the world

- thanks for making something realistic that can make someone smart

- thanks for keeping updating the game huge updates

- thanks for making a community for ideas and question and everything else

- thanks , thanks for Creating Kerbal Space Program

if you still don't know what is kerbal space program , it's Space Exploration Program for smarts

SQUAD if you ever stop updating KSP , I'm going to come to your home and kill you D-:<<

I don't think KSP is intended to be about math, angles, mass, and delta-v. Actually, KSP devs did a lot in order to allow you flying into space without you actually knowing them. They are an option, and they give you an edge. The more you understand the math under the hood, the more effective you can be in the game. But it is not a requirement.

In my opinion, the intent is for the game is to give you "feel" for orbital mechanics. You don't need to understand all the math and you still can understand orbital mechanics intuitively and be able to guess what is good and what is bad.

Many players declare MechJeb, KER or VOID are essential for playing the game. In the end, they don't actually need to understand orbital mechanics, they just know which button to push for their ship to do the right thing. I don't think it is any better than following tutorials. They're just following slightly different tutorials.

In my opinion, the intent is for the game is to give you "feel" for orbital mechanics. You don't need to understand all the math and you still can understand orbital mechanics intuitively and be able to guess what is good and what is bad.

That is quite true. I gained a better intuitive grasp of how orbits work in a hour of playing with burns in different directions in orbit around Kerbin than I did in a lifetime of reading about the space program. It is one thing to understand the math behind changing orbits, it is another entirely to gain experience watching those changes take place in front of you.

Many players declare MechJeb, KER or VOID are essential for playing the game. In the end, they don't actually need to understand orbital mechanics, they just know which button to push for their ship to do the right thing. I don't think it is any better than following tutorials. They're just following slightly different tutorials.

Er, I don't think I'd put KER and VOID in that category, there's no button to push with them. They're just convenient calculation and information tools. If a player is the type that likes real numbers instead of seat-of-the-pants feel, they might quickly feel that an in-game calculator is essential to their enjoyment of the game. VOID and KER (and the info displays in MechJeb) tell you nothing about how or when to execute a maneuver, they just give feedback in numerical form rather than graphical.

Definitely agree that it's possible to play and enjoy KSP without them, as you and others demonstrate.

My experience thus far is Imagine - Explode - Think - Explode - Build - Explode - Test - Explode - Launch - Explode

That's close to the way I play KSP, which is like this.

Explode - Explode - Explode - Explode - Fifteen minutes of stupid laughter - Explode - Explode - Something works by accident - Amazement - Think - Rebuild it bigger - Test - Explode - Fifteen minutes of stupid laughter - Rebuild - Re-test - Success (EXPLODE EXPLODE EXPLODE)

also in my profile what is reputation?

Reputation is what you get when you do something that other people want to reward, or give approval to. Essentially, the more reputation you have, the more you have done cool or worthy things on the Forum. You can see roughly how much +Rep a person has by looking just above their profile picture. A single blob of rep means you have 0-99 "points," two blobs is 100-199 points, etc.

Because I have created artwork and music, made a number of neat craft, and occasionally posted a witty comment, I now have five rep blobs. People like Red Iron Crown (who commented above) have much more rep than I do, though.

That's basically it, in a nutshell. :)

We all learn a lot! Well, guess the ones that survive to tell...

But i agree! KSP is the first comercial SCIENCE game out there, at least that was intended to be comercial i guess. A plenty of people distaste it because it is not a first person shooter like all the post modern AAA games in ocident. But for the ones that give a try... the sense of acomplishment after the first succeful orbit/docking/transfer is outstanding! Every man loves to discover that all these moments at the school that you were forced to believe that you were mediocre and puny, was nothing but a round lie! The stars shines for all the exploders.

I don't think you learn any less about space travel if you follow tutorials. Now, granted, you don't exactly learn all that much either way compared to actually going to college and majoring in astrophysics or something, but all I did at the beginning was follow Scott Manley's maneuver node tutorials, and now I have a significantly improved idea of how orbital mechanics work than I did before. These days, I sometimes don't even use maneuver nodes out of laziness / just to see how far I can get before I have to use one (usually all but the inital encounter burn), which ends up creating trainwreck missions like my last one to Eeloo. :sticktongue:

In all seriousness, though, I think just playing with maneuver nodes and understanding what they do goes a very long way towards teaching you orbital mechanics, regardless of whether or not you watch tutorials or use Mechjeb to follow the nodes for you after you create them. Figuring it out on your own might give you a sense of satisfaction, but I think if you manage to land on another body in KSP, you'll arrive with a better understanding of physics no matter how you do it.

Hyperedit and jump drive mods nonwithstanding, of course.

Reputation is what you get when you do something that other people want to reward, or give approval to. Essentially, the more reputation you have, the more you have done cool or worthy things on the Forum. You can see roughly how much +Rep a person has by looking just above their profile picture. A single blob of rep means you have 0-99 "points," two blobs is 100-199 points, etc.

Because I have created artwork and music, made a number of neat craft, and occasionally posted a witty comment, I now have five rep blobs. People like Red Iron Crown (who commented above) have much more rep than I do, though.

That's basically it, in a nutshell. :)

Oh thanks , I thought it was good topic , but I will make better soon ;)

I don't think KSP is intended to be about math, angles, mass, and delta-v. Actually, KSP devs did a lot in order to allow you flying into space without you actually knowing them. They are an option, and they give you an edge. The more you understand the math under the hood, the more effective you can be in the game. But it is not a requirement.

I agree that KSP is a good way to come at orbital mechanics from an intuitive approach, and it does a great job of introducing concepts in a useful order. First you start with getting something off the launch pad. Second, orbits and plane changes. Then you work on intercepts, rendezvous, landings, and dockings. A player practices these concepts and becomes more adept at utilizing the navball, maneuver nodes, and the other optional tools like KER. If a player wants to be hardcore, they can sit down and do all the maths associated with these concepts, but for those like me who don't math so well, KSP allows me to understand the concepts and apply them successfully so I can get a deeper appreciation for the achievements of real-life space programs. It's the feedback between real-life concepts and practices and in-game exerimentation that makes KSP such a wonderful game and learning experience.

Another short definition: KSP is a kind of interactive LEGO* game in which you can make your own parts :cool:.

*or Playmobil or Meccano or any kind of similar building game.

I'd more associate KSP with something a bit different from Lego. Can't remember what it's called, but basically the difference for me is you use Legos to make your parts, but in KSP you have the parts made, you just build different sections using them. It's a kind of sandboxy non-sandboxy thing that I find hard to explain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.