The 0.25 Waiting Room, now boarding passengers heading to Hypetown

Rowsdower

What Hype Vehicle Would You Rather Ride In?  

735 members have voted

1. 1. What Hype Vehicle Would You Rather Ride In?

• Shuttle
    • Plane
    • Train
    • Other

In short, if the poster-child media streamers (Manley, etc) wont be streaming until this weekend, we wont be seeing the 0.25 patch until next week.

Link to dev blog here: http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/98847223109/devnote-tuesdays-the-calm-before-the-storm-edition

Definitely sounds like they PLAN on releasing it next Tuesday, barring any last second major bugs, as usual.

For me there is no Hype left, as the announcement said x64 will be more unstable than before.

B9 alone needs enough memory to require x64.

The more the game is going into completion the bigger the need for x64, Squad please recognize this.

For me there is no Hype left, as the announcement said x64 will be more unstable than before.

B9 alone needs enough memory to require x64.

The more the game is going into completion the bigger the need for x64, Squad please recognize this.

There are multiple ways to fix the issue with large amounts of memory usage, but that's an entirely different discussion. Remember my post earlier in the thread where I said that there's time between that post Ted made on Reddit and the release of 0.25. With time a lot can happen so don't despair until release :)

What is SQUAD supposed to do? Take over Unity and press them to release Version 5?

A wait. Just port KSP to another engine.

No wait more. Just design and implement a own engine. PhySQUAD.

I some finds sarcasm - keep it. *sic*

I admit this is a kind of troll post, but folks, this whining about an issue, that is not under SQUADs controll is really annoying.

I admit this is a kind of troll post, but folks, this whining about an issue, that is not under SQUADs controll is really annoying.

Well, lets not forget that a different asset loader could help with the situation. The problem isn't entirely out of Squad's control. That said, such a project is a pretty massive and specialized undertaking and currently the goal is to get all the major features into the game so I don't see them taking such a project on. Of course, it would be great if the situation were improved but I don't see it being a priority at this point in development.

The same conclusion can be drawn for many features and requests of course.

My opinion on this: The more workarounds and addions SQUAD has to do to make a Unity 4 x64 playable, the more workarounds and additions are potential error sources as soon as Unity 5 arrives and a port has to be done. I understand that memory is an issue for players with mods here and there. But that doesn't change the overall situation that Unity 4, KSP and 64 bits are not the best software mixup in the world.

The more workarounds and addions SQUAD has to do to make a Unity 4 x64 playable, the more workarounds and additions are potential error sources as soon as Unity 5 arrives and a port has to be done.

This is my opinion as well. Squad should just concentrate on 32bit until Unity 5 is released.

Uh oh. There's a chance that this hypetrain will collide with the other one I'm riding for Alien:Isolation. If that happens they will be a xenomorph loose at KSC. Good thing it'll be destructible then, as I'll have to nuke it from orbit.

What is SQUAD supposed to do? Take over Unity and press them to release Version 5?

A wait. Just port KSP to another engine.

No wait more. Just design and implement a own engine. PhySQUAD.

I some finds sarcasm - keep it. *sic*

Yeah totally troll....

The more the game is coming into a state of completion the more parts with their assets are in it, more Features that are tracked in the Memory, more calculation to be done, and more stages to revert in the VAB are even more worse in case of Memory usage.

If it is for you whining for you, to remember that every new version is more hungy for resources, so that in the end will be close to the limit of x86, then yeah i'm ok with that.

And in my opinion it is a bit naive to think that just because unity gets ugraded to version 5 everything is better. In real it will be worse, because the wohle project will have to be ported, libaries have to be changed, and new unity version means also new bugs that are completly unknown.

We do not even clearly know it to the point if it is pure unity of ksp problem.

Every word more is just offtopic!

It will be really nice that sp+ is integrated but without mk3 parts is also just a draw backwards.

so for me 0.24 was far more hype. But I will be happy to see some nice videos tomorrow about the new version.

Uh oh. There's a chance that this hypetrain will collide with the other one I'm riding for Alien:Isolation. If that happens they will be a xenomorph loose at KSC. Good thing it'll be destructible then, as I'll have to nuke it from orbit.

Till the Space Kraken shows which is the more dominant species.

Yeah totally troll....

The more the game is coming into a state of completion the more parts with their assets are in it, more Features that are tracked in the Memory, more calculation to be done, and more stages to revert in the VAB are even more worse in case of Memory usage.

If it is for you whining for you, to remember that every new version is more hungy for resources, so that in the end will be close to the limit of x86, then yeah i'm ok with that.

And in my opinion it is a bit naive to think that just because unity gets ugraded to version 5 everything is better. In real it will be worse, because the wohle project will have to be ported, libaries have to be changed, and new unity version means also new bugs that are completly unknown.

We do not even clearly know it to the point if it is pure unity of ksp problem.

Every word more is just offtopic!

It will be really nice that sp+ is integrated but without mk3 parts is also just a draw backwards.

so for me 0.24 was far more hype. But I will be happy to see some nice videos tomorrow about the new version.

In general they try to make it simple to upgrade when it is the same exact engine. Squad has already upgraded from unity 3 to 4 in the past and that went fine without too many serious issues. Unity 5 might be a bit more complicated since it brings so much new features but still probably very doable and nowhere near as hard as porting it to a different engine. And what you say about more memory use is kinda wrong as well, since the game as it is now is not optimized yet and still has alot of extra code needed. Squad has already stated that there is work going on behind the scenes that will greatly reduce the amount of memory it uses which will more than make up for whatever new features that are added. This is the case with most games that are under development.

And the main problem today is the lack of multithreaded physics anyways which is something that unity5 is going to fix.

This is my opinion as well. Squad should just concentrate on 32bit until Unity 5 is released.

According to posts at the Unity forums, the first public Unity 5 beta should be coming out in the next few weeks. If that's the case, there's no reason why Squad couldn't at least start on it, even if they still do a few more Unity 4 releases in the mean time.

I don't think any of us would be that upset if we had to play 0.25.X (for bug fixes) for 3 or 4 months while Squad shifts focus to the updated engine. Since it'll be a public beta, that means features shouldn't change that much to release and most of those changes should be bug fixes...at least that's how it should work...should, will, and does aren't always the same.

Or just use Linux because you'll have full 64bit support and a better KSP experience.

Personally, I'd rather Squad focused on OpenGL more than anything else because us Linux users don't have the best of graphics when compared to Windows and DirectX. Seeing as we (Linux users) can easily run 4GB and more in mods without Active Texture Management, we can live with the lesser graphics if Squad doesn't bother with OGL. And Windows KSP uses less RAM with OpenGL, which is another reason for Squad to focus on it. Oh, and anti-aliasing not working with AMD GPU's. Not really sure if either one, OGL or AMD AA, is a KSP or a Unity4 issue. I should check AA with the latest AMD 14.9 drivers now that I'm thinking about it.

And I feel like a crackhead needing my fix whenever new KSP versions are soon to be released.

I know it's a bit more complex than that, but again I kinda have to laugh. Eternally cursed regardless of what they end up choosing to do.

That's the nature of the beast. A lot of non-programmers aren't going to understand that work in Unity 4 to work around issues is likely to be wasted effort (or even have a negative impact) once Unity 5 porting happens, and it sounds like it won't be long at this rate before Unity 5 is a real thing.

Old kludgey bugfixes of yesterday become the new kludgey bugs of today...

Anyhow I'm getting a bit hyped about Unity 5 beta approaching...and the possibility of bugfixes in 0.25. Maybe they'll squish that "can't make a maneuver node at all in pure stock" bug that started happening in 0.24~