[1.0.1/1.1.3][Semi-Retired, Semi-Revived] Zero-Point Inline Fairings v1.0.2 (2016-04-28)

NecroBones

Awesome.

However, is there a size-three nosecone? I see size-3 bases but no cones that fit.

Also, is there a non-expanded size-1? I'd like to be able to put a fairing around my teeny satellites without needing a big expanded fairing.

The short answer is no, and no. ;) I'll keep them in mind as something to add (though of course TweakScale can make them fit).

To keep the part list from exploding out of control, I limited each "width" to two diameters. I didn't add a size-3 nose-cone, since the other ones were made specifically for the wider fairings, to have a cone that comes down to the outer edge instead of just sticking on top. But since there isn't a stock size-3 cone, that's a really good point.

Now that the part list is a lot smaller through consolidation (and further consolidation might be possible if they ever fix the bug with having 3+ decoupler modules on a part), technically there's room to add a little more without having a huge parts list again.

A size-3 cone for sure would be good. And a size-1 flush fairing would be pretty easy to add too.

I've added Size-1 flush fairings for the next update. In the meantime, you can enable them by downloading the CFG files and sticking them in GameData/0PinlineFairings/Parts

Long faring: http://ksp.necrobones.com/files/0PinlineFairings/part1mW0L.cfg

Short fairing: http://ksp.necrobones.com/files/0PinlineFairings/part1mW0S.cfg

I've added Size-1 flush fairings for the next update. In the meantime, you can enable them by downloading the CFG files and sticking them in GameData/0PinlineFairings/Parts

Long faring: http://ksp.necrobones.com/files/0PinlineFairings/part1mW0L.cfg

Short fairing: http://ksp.necrobones.com/files/0PinlineFairings/part1mW0S.cfg

The above is no longer needed, as I went ahead and pushed out an update today. I had a good reason-- The "Lite" pack was broken. I'm surprised no one mentioned it in the last 24 hours. It suddenly occurred to me that the edits were incomplete in the overhaul for 0.7. And since I'm trying to keep both versions of the mod in sync, it was a good time to push the changes.

The good news, is I also added a config to add the 3.75m flush nose-cone.

0.8 (2014-11-15) - Beta Release
- (Reminder: incompatible with v0.6 and earlier)
- Added Size-1 (1.25m) flush fairings (Full version only).
- Added Size-3 (3.75m) flush nose-cone (Full version only).
- Fixed "model" assignments for the "Lite" pack's fairings, causing them not to load unless the "Full" pack was installed too.

I just put out a minor revision to correct the sorting-order in the VAB/SPH menus (for the "full" version of the mod). The sorting is controlled by the part CFG filenames, alphabetically. This will probably all change in KSP 0.90, but for now I was able to change the sort-order to put the short fairings before the long ones, without changing part IDs or anything, so it's not save-breaking.

0.8.1 (2014-11-17) - Beta Release - "Full version"-only sorting fix.
- (Reminder: incompatible with v0.6 and earlier)
- (Note: Remember to delete the old 0PinlineFairings folder before installing, otherwise you'll get duplicate parts in the menu)
- Re-ordered the sorting of the fairing bases in the SPH/VAB (Full version only). Not game-breaking.

Wow, NecroBones - that's unexpected. We met a few times on UO Atlantic, I think.

Thanks for the fairings.

Holy Crap. I started on Atlantic in 98...switched to GL around 2000 and stayed there until I finally canceled a few years ago. I just did the 'welcome back' thing a month or so ago to say hello to all my characters :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there. Maybe you can reduce part count by using multiple attachment nodes? There's a spacey mod that does that. Thought you might be interested. :wink:

LOL, actually the last update here had that feature added. That's where I learned about the limitations of "two shrouds per part". I was hoping to get 3 or 4 into each base. ;)

Necrobones, can you confirm if TweakableEverything is still causing an incompatibility? I happened across your thread and noticed your notice, so I've tested things just about every way I can think of (without my mod at all, with everything but TweakableEngineFairings, with the whole shebang), including a couple of different implementations of a very pieces of logic, and noticed no change in behavior among any of the alternatives.

If there is still a problem, I'd love to see if I can't fix it. :)

Necrobones, can you confirm if TweakableEverything is still causing an incompatibility? I happened across your thread and noticed your notice, so I've tested things just about every way I can think of (without my mod at all, with everything but TweakableEngineFairings, with the whole shebang), including a couple of different implementations of a very pieces of logic, and noticed no change in behavior among any of the alternatives.

If there is still a problem, I'd love to see if I can't fix it. :)

OK cool, if it's working I'll take that warning down. I'm guessing it was probably just that one version or something. Since multiple people chimed in about it, it seemed like reliable information at the time. Glad that it sounds like it's working with it now (I haven't tested recently, personally).

I recall having issues with tweak everything and your fairings in one of the last updates. I really enjoy the aesthetic of the fairings and the functionality however. Here is to hoping everything is sorted out for 0.90 update because I would like to give them another shot now that I'm back on a clean install.

Also, my nostalgia cup overflows whenever anyone mentions UO so I just have to shout out from UO Catskills 98-04 best game ever. ;.;

I recall having issues with tweak everything and your fairings in one of the last updates. I really enjoy the aesthetic of the fairings and the functionality however. Here is to hoping everything is sorted out for 0.90 update because I would like to give them another shot now that I'm back on a clean install.

Also, my nostalgia cup overflows whenever anyone mentions UO so I just have to shout out from UO Catskills 98-04 best game ever. ;.;

Hey, awesome. :) Yeah, UO always makes me nostalgic. ;)

Updated for 0.90. I was hoping they'd fix the bug with the zooming/exploding icons in the VAB/SPH with 3+ decoupler nodes (among other things), but they did not. So for now, I'm leaving each set of fairing bases in pairs (long/short versions). I can consolidate them further if they either fix the bug, or we put up with the glitch, or suggest people grab a mod to fix it (I think there's one out there that does that).

But for now, I just put in some minor tweaks to help with 0.90.

Changes:

0.9 (2014-12-16) - Minor tweaks
- Added manufacturer tag to item names to make all fairings name-sort together.
- Fixed manufacturer icon in VAB/SPH manufacturer-sort.

Cool mod! I'm liking better than Procedural Fairings, which always breaks with each update...

One question: is it Deadly Reentry compatible? If not, how can I make a .cfg for it?

Basically, need to add the "coating" to the included nose cones like they do for the stock cones on their .cfg, but I have no idea how to find the part names for your mod.

I guess that's the info I needed, thanks.

Don't use that mod but just by looking at some cfg and if you didn't get it you can try something like

@PART[0PfairingNose1mW2]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 0 // full-surface coating
reflective = 0.1
}
}

@PART[0PfairingNose2mW1]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
reflective = 0.1
}
}

@PART[0PfairingNose2mW2]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
reflective = 0.1
}
}

@PART[0PfairingNose3mW0]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
reflective = 0.1
}
}

Cool mod! I'm liking better than Procedural Fairings, which always breaks with each update...

One question: is it Deadly Reentry compatible? If not, how can I make a .cfg for it?

Basically, need to add the "coating" to the included nose cones like they do for the stock cones on their .cfg, but I have no idea how to find the part names for your mod.

If you look at the cfg you see hope it helps.
I guess that's the info I needed, thanks.
Don't use that mod but just by looking at some cfg and if you didn't get it you can try something like
@PART[0PfairingNose1mW2]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
reflective = 0.1
}
}

@PART[0PfairingNose2mW1]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
reflective = 0.1
}
}

@PART[0PfairingNose2mW2]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
reflective = 0.1
}
}

@PART[0PfairingNose3mW0]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
reflective = 0.1
}
}

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I didn't even think to look into DRE's settings. I'll definitely look into adding those.

NecroBones, reading Module Manager's docs I figured out this should work:

@PART[0PfairingNose*]

{

@maxTemp = 1250

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

direction = 0, 0, 0 // full surface coating

reflective = 0.1 // 10% of heat is ignored at correct angle

}

}

Does anyone know how I can use an escape tower with this mod?

With Procedural Fairings I used to have the escape tower attached to a upside-down base and the fairing naturally curved around the payload.

I'm not sure if I understand. I'm assuming you mean the LES tower would be attached to the upside-down fairing base, so that the pod, service-module, etc are all inside the fairing? Interesting.

You could do something similar here. I'd build the payload first, and then use a decoupler to attach the base upside-down at the top. Then you can place the LES tower on top of that, and build the rest of your rocket from the fairing's floating node, which should be down below your payload (assuming you use a fairing long enough to enclose the payload. Just don't forget a decoupler down there too. The payload in this case will be attached to the top-end of the fairing, since that's where the base will be, rather than touching down at the bottom.

Howdy Necrobones:

First off, this is a brilliant idea, using the existing fairings, and they look great, too.

However, I'm having 2 distinct problems with them in the game, which has made me quit using them for the time being.

First off, I'm just using fairings for cosmetics. I don't have FAR or DRE installed at the moment. I've got a bunch of other mods, however, but I've been able to isolate these problems to Zero Point.

1. REALLY Long Ships

What happens is, when you drop the booster that takes the fairing base with it, KSP still thinks the 2 elements (booster and payload) are connected. Thus, as the booster falls behind, the ship's effective length can quickly become many kilometers. Because the camera always locks on the CoM, as the booster falls behind the payload, the payload quickly disappears off the edge of the screen, and there's no way to see it again until the booster dies. If the booster isn't going to reenter, you have to go to the TC and terminate it before you can get the camera back on the payload.

A few updates ago, DRE had this same problem. You migth want to ask NathanKell what he did to fix it.

2. Fairings Destroying Payload

This one here seems related to the ongoing decoupler issues introduced in 0.24 I think. What happens is when I decouple the fairing, the top ends of the side pieces tip inboard and wipe off all small, fragile, protruding parts on the sides of the payload. Solar panels, SCANsat antenna, etc. This happens whether or not the rocket is under thrust at the time. And because the fairing parts are stock engine fairings, they don't all you to radially attack Sepratrons or whatever to them to make them fly away cleanly. This is IMHO the more serious problem of the 2 because.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.