Space 1999 Eagle **Version 1.2 - .16, hatch & Kerbonaut Ready!**

RedSpar

It looks like the project might have been abandoned. It is very hard to do a well-balanced horizontal VTOL with 2nd engine mode for propulsion without using plugins, so maybe RedSpar just got fed up with it. The design really needs a plugin to balance the 4 vertical jets and to control the main engine separately.

It looks like the project might have been abandoned.

DON\'T SAY THAT! I\'M NOT LISTENING!

Seriously though, RedSpar, if you\'ve given up, those models look really nice. Could we just have them, please? (This is the second Eagle project that has ended by only releasing the command pod)

BTW Plugins now exist for differential rocket controls. ;)

If coding is not your thing, I implore you to just release these fine, fine models for someone else to finish up a plugin for attitude control if it\'s necessary.

For the sake of humanity, man! Think of the children! Don\'t do it for you. Do it for us. ;D

Whoah..whoah.......whoah.....

Fear not, I haven\'t abandoned the project. I had a new job to deal with over the past two weeks which shelved the project temporarily.

I\'m getting back at it today. Sorry to keep you guys hanging!

And yes, VTOL has turned out to be a real PITA to get working right.

I also need to redo the texture on the command pod as well (not happy with it).

It will be released soon.. Really!

Thanks all for your enthusiasm, it keeps me going. ;D

OK got some things done.

Command module - retextured

Modeled and set parameters for RCS thrusters:

RCS.png

Modeled and set parameters for ASAS module (fits between command and cargo)

asas.png

Kreuzung - I wasn\'t aware of any toggleable engine switch/setting in MechJeb. If there is, can someone show me how it works and how to set it up?

Basically all I have left now is to make the VTOL engines and get them working well.

Ooh man,,It\'s comin boys, It\'s comin. There\'s a ton of enthusiasm here for the Eagle, It\'ll be interesting to see how many DL\'s this gets. I\'d say it\'s gonna be HUGE!! (do you think i\'m keen?)

Man don\'t want to reveal my age or anything :-[ but I remember that show when I kid, & I\'ve dreamed my whole life about what it\'d be like to fly the Eagle. I even remember one of the rich kids at school had an eagle toy, I wanted it so bad! Keep going RedSpar, can\'t wait! :)

Documentation for the MuMech variable stuff in here, the rotating stuff is not yet documented, if you can read code you can look in it and the Damned Robotics .cfg, maybe that helps. If you want to have non-rotating VTOL, you can just make a normal engine where you add a VTOL part to and toggle them separately in the engine control.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.0

Simply being able to toggle between vertical and horizontal flight should just be a matter of making the two engine groups use the Variableengine module and name the groups two different things in the .cfg.

If you need more help you can hop on the KSP IRC and me or r4m0n can talk you through it.

99% of the vertical flight/crash testing is done.

Using high powered RCS\'s I made a horizontal landing on Mun:

shes_down.png

Just finishing modeling the VTOL engine pack:

vtol.jpg

Quick unwrap and texture next. Then we move into VTOL engine testing with engine switching.

We are very close to release. 8)

It\'s finally released. Grab your flight gear, Commander Koenig has ordered you to check out an alien anomaly on the far side of Mun....

OK I\'m tired. The Eagle was orders of magnitude more difficult to make than a regular cylindrical rocket.

I can\'t test it now but you say that the VTOL part is difficult to add right, are you using radial attachment? If you do, change to a \'hidden\' node inside the eagle where nothing but the vtol part can be attached to, that whould solve that problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.