Move the scenarios/tutorials from the main menu to a "University" building

KSP can be very daunting to new players and a way to help with this would be to have a "Kerbal University" building. So rather than having to exit out to the main menu, you can click on the University building to learn more.

I think this would be good as the game could then keep track of what scenarios/tutorials you have completed and help with the immersion factor.

Any thoughts?

If you are new to the game, what is easier?

Seeing a big button that says 'tuturial' right in the menu, or having to search for it in some random building inside a game you already started?

I concur with Sirrobert.

Also, slight digression from the topic, but apart from the existing Astronaut Complex where new Kerbals are hired and trained, why would a space launch facility need a "university"? Educational institutions are supposed to be situated as far away from exploding rockets as possible.

I concur with Sirrobert.

Also, slight digression from the topic, but apart from the existing Astronaut Complex where new Kerbals are hired and trained, why would a space launch facility need a "university"? Educational institutions are supposed to be situated as far away from exploding rockets as possible.

This tells me that you probably haven't spent much time in uni chem labs recently. The sound of exploding grad students could be used as a metronome at times.

Well, it would make sense to have training scenarios in the renamed Kerbonaut Training Complex, no new buildings required. New saves could begin with a pop-up suggestion to visit the KTC for help in learning how to play and master the game. Tutorials should cost nothing to start and have small Fund rewards for successful completion in career mode. Also a good way to earn new Kerbonauts besides rescuing them.

Seeing a big button that says 'tuturial' right in the menu, or having to search for it in some random building inside a game you already started?
New saves could begin with a pop-up suggestion to visit the KTC for help in learning how to play and master the game.

At the end of the day I feel it would tie the game together better than the current method, which is a bit clunky IMHO. I mean, how many games nowadays do this anyway (start new game, get taken straight to the tutorial). A lot of us are forgetting the steep learning curve this game has, so anything that makes it more accessible to new players is always going to be a plus in my books.

Also I like the idea of being able to 'train' my Kerbalnauts so they can earn the right to wear the orange suits :-)

The one issue I thought of was that some of the scenarios/tutorials rely on spawning various ships, which wouldn't be possible with a game in progress.

This tells me that you probably haven't spent much time in uni chem labs recently. The sound of exploding grad students could be used as a metronome at times.

I'm a postgraduate who does laboratory work, and while I've had my fair share of near misses involving chemical explosions and such, that's besides the point.

A university isn't just a single, monolithic cartoon schoolhouse building that can be plonked down anywhere - they are often a large complex of buildings that are often located in a city's Central Business District or in close proximity to other business parks for convenience of collaboration, and usually well away from dangerous areas like heavy industrial zones and rocket launchpads.

At the end of the day I feel it would tie the game together better than the current method, which is a bit clunky IMHO. I mean, how many games nowadays do this anyway (start new game, get taken straight to the tutorial). A lot of us are forgetting the steep learning curve this game has, so anything that makes it more accessible to new players is always going to be a plus in my books.

Also I like the idea of being able to 'train' my Kerbalnauts so they can earn the right to wear the orange suits :-)

The one issue I thought of was that some of the scenarios/tutorials rely on spawning various ships, which wouldn't be possible with a game in progress.

I personally feel that having a tutorial button prominently displayed on the main screen is sufficient, and most certainly not clunky.

Having a dedicated building at the space center that only serves as a gateway to the tutorials is clunky, as it serves no other purpose for those who have already completed the tutorial. Also, kerbalnauts are trained at the Astronaut Center and do not require a dedicated building or players manually training each individual Kerbal all the required skills.

Edited by sumghai

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.