Greatest man i human history?

Pawelk198604

Welcome back to another episode of....

Questions and answers with Pawelk!

-

On a more serious note, i think i'd need a fairly large piece of paper to list the greatest people in history. It's impossible to pick a single one as the greatest.

1. Astronaut.

2. Astronaut.

3. Who the hell is that person? Oh, she's a mathemati... she's polish. I see where you're going. :P

But seriously, dude, you should stop making threads like these. It's been 20 minutes since the creation of your last thread.

1. Cosmonaut because he was Russian :D

2. Astronaut.

3. Who the hell is that person? Oh, she's a mathemati... she's polish. I see where you're going. :P (She was actually only Polish who win noble prize, and win two times in two different category physicist and chemistry, no other scientist broke this record :D but after her nobody from Poland win Noble prize for Poland, my countryman won worthless peace prize, and literacy Noble prize. I think my nation deserve science Noble Prize for example prof. Aleksander Wolszczan for discovery of extrasolar planets and pulsar planets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksander_Wolszczan

Or for our Graphen research

http://www.zdnet.com/in-graphene-we-trust-how-poland-is-putting-confidence-and-cash-in-a-material-still-on-the-starting-blocks-7000028144/

Is scheme for Poland that we have only two Noble Prize for actual science, and the winner is a woman, all polish guy-scientist should be ashamed be this :D (a joke of curse :) )

I don't think the greatest person in history would be an astronaut. Even though they were the best of the best highly skilled test pilots, they were part of a team and they were interchangeable and part of the effort of a nation. If it hadn't been Gagarin or Armstrong, it would have been another astronaut. The engineers and scientists behind them, although less famous, played a bigger role in the events than the actual astronauts.

The most important man in history would be someone who changed the destiny of Humanity on his own. I would say it's the Homo Sapiens who one day discovered how to make fire. Unfortunately, his name didn't make it to posterity.

Edited by Nibb31

1. Siddharta Gautama (Buddha)

2. Gandhi

3. Leonardo da Vinci

4. Hypatia

Although I hink that it is useless to make a "Greatest person in history" list.

So many people have contributed in so many different ways to the world we know now and so many people have done so many different great things.

It would be impossible to quantify that and pick one who ist "greater than all the others".

Especially since we know only a fraction of the events and persons in history whcih would have been worth mentioning

(and all too often, what was recorded from history, was influenced by "the winner writes history" and/or by the destruction of books for religious reasons)

Hypatia???

None of her works survive till today ... without a doubt (among other reasons) due to the christians ... but her influence on her students was great, especially with regards to astronom, geometry and philosophy

... she also was known not to care about the religions of her students in a time where there were violent clashes between pagans and christians in Alexandria (which surely was one of the things that lead to her cruel execution by christians [aside from being a teaching woman and being on the wrong side of the political spectrum [i.e. that which was opposed to the Bishop of Alexandrias political ambitions]).

Unfortunately she is one of the persons for which the things I stated in my posting are true (i.e. lost knowledge about persons which surely would have been more than worth mentioning) and so, only a few passages (like those in Socrates scholasticus) give testimony to the (probably great) life of Hypatia

Edited by Godot

1. Astronaut.

2. Astronaut.

3. Who the hell is that person? Oh, she's a mathemati... she's polish. I see where you're going. :P

But seriously, dude, you should stop making threads like these. It's been 20 minutes since the creation of your last thread.

Dude you don't know who marie curie is? She won the Nobel prize... Twice. Her research in radioactivity broke ground on everything we know today.

Seriously, go wash your mouth with soap. Curie is one of the great ones, the fact that she won two Noble prizes in two separate fields of research should be an indication that we are not talking about a mere mortal.

You remark tells us more about you than about Curie :wink:

Or took a stick to get some banana (not for scale).

Considering the fact that already chimpanzees have the mental capabilities to learn this, I would assume that this was a skill that already was mastered by several tribes of australopitheci

Yeah, Newton gave us a bunch of maths and science for moving stuff around, but Louis and Alexander saved lives.

It rather depends on you outlook on things. Saving lives is great, but also causes other problems, like the population problem we see now. I always feel those kinds of inventions are double edged swords, even if they very possibly saved my life too.

There is something to be said for pure, unadulterated knowledge.

It rather depends on you outlook on things. Saving lives is great, but also causes other problems, like the population problem we see now. I always feel those kinds of inventions are double edged swords, even if they very possibly saved my life too.

There is something to be said for pure, unadulterated knowledge.

That is also very true. Then again, with Newton, he paved the way for us to make a lot of things that destroy the environment. So, there is that.

I'd put Pasteur and Fleming way, way, way, way above any rocket rider - and even above Newton.

Yeah, Newton gave us a bunch of maths and science for moving stuff around, but Louis and Alexander saved lives.

Newton was instrumental in the rise of inductivism and the scientific method, the very principles Fleming and Pasteur (and every other scientist) used in making their discoveries. Newton's discoveries were incredibly influential in their own right, but his contributions to popularizing the scientific method have reverberated through the scientific community even more than his theory of gravity and calculus.

1. First homo sapien that either rubbed two sticks together to discover fire or hit a rock really hard and made a spark (Pun intended). Unfortunately, we don't know his name, so I'll call him "Grreukkk Strong Big". So Grreukkk Strong Big is the most important person in human history.

2. Wernher Von Braun. He spearheaded space exploration efforts in the early years of NASA. Many believe without him, the United States would've either never reached the moon or have delayed its first landing by a massive difference in time from the original 1969 landing date.

3. Newton. Defined physics, made a huge impact by using methods that even scientists use today. Even the top minds like Einstein admired him for his genius. He also highly advanced mathematics; in short, his contributions to math and science are almost priceless

4. Everyone. At this time and moment, we are defining our species interplanetary future. We are defining the boundaries of science, working through with robotics, and even playing with physics itself. Everyone on Earth at this era is important - because even though we don't have one defined frontier that everyone can access easily, the frontiers that we do have (Robotics, Space, Physics, Medicine, Technology in general), will define us for millienia to come.

I'll start the list off.

Bob, Tom, Tim.... (7,000,000,000 more)

Edited by NASAFanboy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.