How did you get into KSP?

Australian Sloth

Well, as the title says, how did you get into/find KSP?

My story: I was looking around at some indie games and happened to stumble across a post about ksp, went to the site and downloaded the 0.8.4 version.

I then really became addicted when I watched this:

From then on I was hooked, I loved the attitude that the forum has (Oh it exploded, get another one onto the pad and someone scrape Bill of the launch tower!), the way that it is so easy yet complex!

Want to make a simple little rocket? Go ahead!

Want to make a multistage autolaunchable monster? Go ahead!

Your turn!

Someone made a post on the forums I used (back in august \'11) a few people tried it, and eventually I did. Loved it, and then I loved the community around it which really helped me learn what I was doing and have a lot more fun with the game.

Honestly I think about 60% of the game is in the community.

I\'ve always crazy trains of thought:

For example, I\'ll read a sign for Victoria\'s Secret, I have a cousin named Victoria, she lives in California, in 'End of ze World' Cali breaks off from US 'To go hang with Hawaii', then I remember Lilo and Stitch, and I\'ll ask if that show still airs.

So, I was looking up Minecraft shit, I found a Minecraft Space Shuttle, then related to that was a Lego one. Related to that was 'Fun with KSP'. Curious, I clicked it, and was enthralled with the hilarity of the crashes. Now, this was pre-1.1, so there was no Mac version. I booted up my old HP touchscreen computer and downloaded. I would play for hours, and filled a clipboard with orbital tables, notes, and rocket sketches. I\'ve been playing since - oh, August \'11.

It popped up on reddit and I bookmarked it, then forgot it existed, as it didn\'t support linux I didn\'t bother trying it at the time.

Then much later I was sorting my bookmarks, found KSP, saw it still didn\'t support linux so I gave it a shot in Wine.

Zooming didn\'t work, joystick didn\'t work, several other keyboard controls were also dead, but I could build a rocket, land on the Mun and return.

That was enough.

I donated that day and have been playing it ever since, keyboard zoom was eventually fixed and now even the mouse is working properly, there\'s just the joystick left to get working.

I am a little worried that the new terrain engine will break the game for me though.

Lets see around late August/early September, to be exact September 12(check out the video), I was watching a Kurtjmac video showing off Space Engine and I saw this comment(along with others)

Huh, well, maybe you should try Kerbal space program, there you can build your own rocket and try to orbit? Kerbin/Kearth with it or do much more (it\'s still under quite a heavy development).

So I checked it out got hooked for a while never orbited then abandoned it then while on the MC forums SteevyT who told me that they adding the Mun so I checked it again in November but soon abandoned it again until Kurtjmac started to play it so I updated my copy and been playing ever since with a few weeks of down time once in a while.

My buddy sent me an email:

SUBJECT:

I\'m terribly sorry

BODY:

what i\'m about to show you is something that will literally eat hours upon hours from your day. all i can say is that i\'m sorry.

what the hell i\'m talking about:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

youtube tutorial:

tell me what you think.

I downloaded the demo that night and jumped on the forums. I\'m all about forums. I was immediately obsessed with the idea of landing on the Mun, I don\'t know why, but I pretty much paid $15 just for landing legs, haha. I finally landed safely last night (took almost a week). I actually commented to my buddy about how this community is so much different than most others.

I was watching a stream on Joowz.com (a streaming site that streams anything from video games to Dexter; WARNING: potentially NSFW) and saw someone streaming KSP. ???

I believe it was on Ver. .10 when I got it.

I saw an article on Rock Paper Shotgun, a very very good PC gaming news site. Just happened to check it one day when I was out of state and see an article over KSP, and it looked amazing. Installed it to my laptop right then and there and spent four hours in the hotel room coaxing rockets into orbit. This was back in July. I still have the zip file for KSP V.8.0 on this machine, too. I think I might keep that, as a reminder of what things were like before such luxuries as the plugin system, map screen, and joystick support. I can still remember desperately watching my tables to determine if I\'d made orbit or not, and the sheer thrill of my first 24-hour orbit, back when people still bragged about that sort of thing. Good times.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

My story: I was looking though one of KurtJMac\'s Videos (had been a long time subscriber at that point, the only lp that I have always watched) comments (I think it eather was Celestria or Orbiter, can\'t remember), and someone had posted about Kurt doing a KSP lets play. At the time, I didn\'t know what KSP was, so I decided to search it (as I do). After seeing what it was, I quickly downloaded it, and after playing it for a while, (about 1 hour or 25 jebs at that point), I got into space, and the next day, gave it to my friends to try out. That was 0.9.0 or 0.8.X, I can\'t renember which. The next day, I figured out how to orbit (more like re learnt after playing orbiter for 2 years), and completed one orbit in lunchtime at school, using NovaSilisko\'s N1. To this day, I still use that rocket.

There was a post on the Egosoft game forums back in July \'11 when they were still working on versions in the 0.8 range. A couple of the videos were funny and interesting, I tried it and got hooked.

Someone made a post on the forums I used (back in august \'11) a few people tried it, and eventually I did. Loved it, and then I loved the community around it which really helped me learn what I was doing and have a lot more fun with the game.

Honestly I think about 60% of the game is in the community.

This is almost exact as to how I got into KSP, except it was more around July \'11.

Here in Aus we have a TV program called GOOD GAME, all about PS3 and console games etc. They were discussing Flight sims and KSP came up. One Google search later and here i am. I must admit after 1 spinal fusion and looking down the barrel of another, This game has been a godsend to me in my 'downtime'.

My story: I was looking though one of KurtJMac\'s Videos (had been a long time subscriber at that point, the only lp that I have always watched) comments (I think it eather was Celestria or Orbiter, can\'t remember), and someone had posted about Kurt doing a KSP lets play. At the time, I didn\'t know what KSP was, so I decided to search it (as I do). After seeing what it was, I quickly downloaded it, and after playing it for a while, (about 1 hour or 25 jebs at that point), I got into space, and the next day, gave it to my friends to try out. That was 0.9.0 or 0.8.X, I can\'t renember which. The next day, I figured out how to orbit (more like re learnt after playing orbiter for 2 years), and completed one orbit in lunchtime at school, using NovaSilisko\'s N1. To this day, I still use that rocket.

Sounds like my story except with Space Engine.