Making the orbit smaller

Right so I\'ve tried to land on the moon. And I get to the circular marking that represent the moons orbit and my orbit looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/aieAx.jpg

I try to give thrust on both of the green markers but all it does is that the orbit narrows so it becomes a straight line to earth and then the lines passes eachother as theyre narrowed and it becomes a oblong orbit again. Thrusting on the purple marker either makes the Ap point move farther away from my ship or closer to my ship but I don\'t need to move the damn Ap I need the damn Pe thingy to move closer to me and form a circle around the moons orbital path!

Thanks for any answers...

So Are you trying to get in a orbit around the Moon? If so you need to wait for the Mun\'s gravity to pull you in otherwise you\'ll just keep orbiting Kerbin. Now if you want a wider orbit you\'ll need to burn at your Ap toward the prograde (the circle with plus sign but missing the bottom one) to increase your Pe. Not sure if that\'ll help since I\'m somewhat confused on your issue.

Ok, let me just note that thrusting on the opposite apsis will affect the other - so thrusting at Apoapsis will affect Periapsis. Now, when you reach the Apoapsis, move your rocket so it is facing retrograde, or opposite the way you are moving. The green marker for this has an X through it. Also, don\'t worry about the purple marker, that just points you home. So thrust, and you\'ll notice your Periapsis going down. Happy?

You kinda missed the mun there... The goal is to get an orbit so that the mun is close to you when you approach apoapsis. You have two options: You can completely circularize the orbit when you reach apoapsis, and since your orbit is slightly wider than the mun\'s you will be moving slightly slower than the mun. You just increase time warp to max and wait.

The other option is to restart your launch. This is the best way to get to the mun: You launch from kerbin and get your ship into a circular orbit around it at around 150-170 km altitude. You point your ship towards your heading (the yellow circle with nothing inside it and three lines outside) and timewarp/wait until the mun starts to rise over the horizon. As soon as you see the mun, you burn prograde at full thrust untill the apoapsis of your orbit is at the same altitude or a little lower then the orbit of the mun. Turn off your engine, timewarp and watch the map untill you see that your orbit has changed - That means that you have switched to the Mun\'s sphere of influence. When you reach your Periapsis, burn retrograde (green circle with lines inside it) until you circularize your orbit around the mun. When you are ready, burn retrograde untill your orbit intersects the surface of the mun. Try to land... :D

Ok, let me just note that thrusting on the opposite apsis will affect the other - so thrusting at Apoapsis will affect Periapsis. Now, when you reach the Apoapsis, move your rocket so it is facing retrograde, or opposite the way you are moving. The green marker for this has an X through it. Also, don\'t worry about the purple marker, that just points you home. So thrust, and you\'ll notice your Periapsis going down. Happy?

It didn\'t for me. If I was at the Apoapsis and thrusting at the greens either makes the Ap smaller or bigger. Thrusting at the purple makes the orbit smaller like a corridor.

First of all, your Mun-bound path should look like this.

screenshot31.png

Your ship AND the Mun will get to the same point (the Apoapsis) at the same time.

Once you\'re there, the Mun will capture you and your path will look something like this.

skeletor-mun-approach.png

The next step is to wait until you are at your Periapsis, turn your ship backwards, and burn to SLOW DOWN. Your orbital path will narrow until it closes into a large ellipse.

skeletor-mun-orbit-slowdown-burn.png

Keep burning (slowing down) and lower your thrust as your orbital path looks more and more like a circle. When it is circular (or when the [A] and [P] suddenly switch places) turn off your engine with the [X] key. You should have a nice Mun orbit like this.

skeletor-mun-orbit.png

Don\'t worry about which direction your orbit is in. You\'ll learn how to perform a plane change maneuver once you\'re comfortable with attaining orbit.

It didn\'t for me. If I was at the Apoapsis and thrusting at the greens either makes the Ap smaller or bigger. Thrusting at the purple makes the orbit smaller like a corridor.

That wouldn\'t happen. Thrusting at Apoapsis affects the periapsis, not the apoapsis. Thrust towards the green marker with NO 'X' through it, that\'s prograde. That should speed you up and make the periapsis higher, getting you into a circular orbit close to the mun\'s.

Though, you know you need to be captured by the Mun first, right? You\'re still in an orbit around Kerbin, and that\'s not really helpful for getting to the mun...

That\'s impossible. You\'re obviously not approaching orbital mechanics the right way. When you\'re at your AP, thrust retro to bring your PE in close to the surface. When you\'re at your PE, thrust retro to bring your AP down. I don\'t know why you\'re thrusting at purple. Nobody said to do that.

You need to first be captured by the Mun to do all of this, by the way.

Right so I\'ve tried to land on the moon. And I get to the circular marking that represent the moons orbit and my orbit looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/aieAx.jpg

I try to give thrust on both of the green markers but all it does is that the orbit narrows so it becomes a straight line to earth and then the lines passes eachother as theyre narrowed and it becomes a oblong orbit again. Thrusting on the purple marker either makes the Ap point move farther away from my ship or closer to my ship but I don\'t need to move the damn Ap I need the damn Pe thingy to move closer to me and form a circle around the moons orbital path!

Thanks for any answers...

Ok. You\'re still in orbit around Kerbin... That\'s not going to help for getting to the Mun. You need to be captured by the Mun\'s sphere of influence (gravitational pull).

The best way to get to the Mün is to get into a roughly circualar, reasonably low (70-150Km) orbit around Kerbin, and then fire your engine when you see the Mün come over the horizon; thrust until your AP is at the same level as the Müns orbit, and you and the Mün should arrive there at about the same time.