[0.14-0.16] Kessler: asynchronous, shared-world multiplayer (+ save editor)

How do I allow outgoing connections?

That\'s something you need to find out for yourself. Look around the internet.

You allow your antivirus and firewall to leave it alone, in addition to forwarding the port you choose to use.

Could you just create a separate save file, just for Kessler? With enough info to identify each ship?

Or have Kessler process a save file, change it up, and then give it to KSP?

You obviously know more than me, but I\'m trying to get into programming, and I was curious on your thoughts.

I can - that\'s kind of what the server already does - but the fundamental problem is this: I need the player to be able to load a game, play for a while, save their game, and then feed that saved game to Kessler to upload new rockets and update old ones.

At this point the problem becomes looking at the saved game and figuring out how it matches up with the save Kessler maintains; specifically:

- which rockets are new

- which rockets are old ones that haven\'t changed

- which rockets are old ones that have changed

- which rockets look new but are actually fragments of old rockets that have dropped stages since last time

And so forth. It gets especially fun when you start considering situations like, say, player A uploads a rocket, players B and C both download it, play the game for a bit, drop stages, and then upload - the server needs to not only detect that they\'ve changed the same rocket (and give one of them priority), but detect that the dropped stages in player B\'s game are the 'same' as the dropped stages in player C\'s - despite the fact that they have different LCTs and trajectories.

I really, really wish that KSP just attached a UUID to each part that stayed the same across saves. It would make this much easier.

I can - that\'s kind of what the server already does - but the fundamental problem is this: I need the player to be able to load a game, play for a while, save their game, and then feed that saved game to Kessler to upload new rockets and update old ones.

At this point the problem becomes looking at the saved game and figuring out how it matches up with the save Kessler maintains; specifically:

- which rockets are new

- which rockets are old ones that haven\'t changed

- which rockets are old ones that have changed

- which rockets look new but are actually fragments of old rockets that have dropped stages since last time

And so forth. It gets especially fun when you start considering situations like, say, player A uploads a rocket, players B and C both download it, play the game for a bit, drop stages, and then upload - the server needs to not only detect that they\'ve changed the same rocket (and give one of them priority), but detect that the dropped stages in player B\'s game are the 'same' as the dropped stages in player C\'s - despite the fact that they have different LCTs and trajectories.

I really, really wish that KSP just attached a UUID to each part that stayed the same across saves. It would make this much easier.

Ahh. That makes sense. Have you thought about bothering Squad about it?

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn\'t work on .15, does it?

I can\'t really tell. I got a 'time-out' or some other connection problem last time I tried it. Could be shoddy settings or save incompatibility?

I have released a minor update.

- Minmus is now supported in the editor

- Body names are now case insensitive when using the \'orbit\' command in the editor

- Save files containing non-ASCII names (for example cyrillic) should now load properly even on windows, although the names may not display properly in the editor

Is it possible to create a private server just for my friends and I on my computer?

Yes, it\'s included in the download. Edit kessler/server_config.txt and then run kessler_server.bat.

javaerror1.png

I have java installed, but I keep on getting this error when trying to run the launcher. The kessler_client is not working for me either.

The command line flashes for a second but then closes itself again. Anyone having the same issue?

javaerror1.png

I have java installed, but I keep on getting this error when trying to run the launcher. The kessler_client is not working for me either.

The command line flashes for a second but then closes itself again. Anyone having the same issue?

Mine just flashes for a second then disappears. This also means I cant get the editor working, :\'(

Cool program!

I just added it to my Synology NAS server and finally got it working with the client on my laptop. Only issue I have (mine not Kesslers) is that I\'m still having issues running the sh script in the background. Need more research (and boosters).

I\'ll be getting a few friends to connect to our private Kessler server and we\'ll use it as our own record/ bragging rights against each other. 8)

I\'m sure there will be some sort of UUID in the future, but hey, it\'s in alpha and I\'m sure they have other items to work out first.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I\'m really new to Kessler, so a question: Do I have to keep the .sh file running while I play KSP to get it to sync ships, or do I run it once before starting the game and it syncs them all then?

You run it once before starting the game and it syncs them all then. It\'s also safe to run when you\'re at KSC or in the VAB. It is not safe to run while in flight or on the launchpad, nor will it stay running and keep auto-syncing - for starters, it can\'t tell when it\'s safe to sync!

Question, if I were to land a Bigtrak/Cart that has some sort of plow to move debris, and I landed near a Mun Base and started to clean debris, and after I done I synced, would the debris sync as well?

Not yet. Updating and especially deleting objects is kind of a can of worms and something I\'m still working on; if this feature does show up, it probably won\'t be until after .16.

Umm, it timeouts on all the servers.

The servers are all hosted on private computers and can go up and down for various reasons (such as me rebooting to install updates and forgetting to start the server again afterwards). The one on Orias should be running again now, at least.

I seem to be getting a lot of invisible, bugged out ships. Why is that?

Good question! Can you upload your .sfs somewhere for me to look at, and mention which ships are bugged out?

Hello, My first post here.. Long time lurker..

I got it working, it tells me it has downloaded a lot of ships, and when I go to the tracking station I see a lot of ships on the map.

I cant however go to any of the ships, they also do not appear on the left hand bar. (Not even my own ships that where there before I synced)

Did I do something wrong or do I need to specify this as an option?

[Edit:] Oh I am running 0.15.2 with a few addon packs and scripts..

Thnx

P.S.

This mod is awesome by the way!

Hello, My first post here.. Long time lurker..

I got it working, it tells me it has downloaded a lot of ships, and when I go to the tracking station I see a lot of ships on the map.

I cant however go to any of the ships, they also do not appear on the left hand bar. (Not even my own ships that where there before I synced)

Did I do something wrong or do I need to specify this as an option?

[Edit:] Oh I am running 0.15.2 with a few addon packs and scripts..

Thnx

P.S.

This mod is awesome by the way!

Something has gone wrong, yes - please upload your persistence.sfs somewhere so that I can look at it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.