The Cart VAB construction exploit

Awaras

So, if you put a Cart (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=8431.0;topicseen) vertically onto your rocket in the VAB, you can then put certain parts on the cart horizontally (discovered here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9098.0), which allows you to make things not possible otherwise:

2ylUt.png

vab123.png

I am pretty sure that the devs never intended for this to work, but you can get some pretty interesting results:

screenrmr.png

anglethrus.png

I am interested to see what the community can make with this. :)

I can\'t figure it out. :\'(

Step by step:

1. Put two fuel tanks on the command pod, just to have somewhere to put the cart on.

tutor1.png

2. Place the cart on the top side of the rocket, the side with the windows. (If you put it the other way, the parts you make will be upside down...)

tutor2.png

3. Place a small fuel tank on the connection point in the middle of the cart (you might need to move it around a little bit for it to flip and lock in place)

tutor3.png

4. Now you can use symmetry to place decouplers at a 90 degree angle from normal

tutor4.png

5. Next you place small fuel tanks and small engines on the decouplers

tutor5.png

6. After you are done placing engines, landing legs, rcs tanks or whatever, you pick up the first fuel tank you placed.

tutor6.png

7. Then you place it at the bottom of your rocket (again, you might need to fiddle it around a little bit for it to flip to normal position)

tutor7.png

8. Now you remove the cart, make copies of the entire assembly and place it on your ship as you see fit.

tutor10.png

9. The completed ship. You might need to place rcs tanks and other components in the back of the rocket to balance it, since it will tip over pretty easily if not balanced properly. ASAS is highly recommended. Note that the vehicle is now totally stock, since you removed the cart...

tutor11.png

Of course, as it is now, it can\'t even take off... You need to place it on a conventional rocket, get it in the air and then flip it over to horizontal and experiment with the balance...

The one I made had a slight tendency to tilt upwards when I engage the engines, but the ASAS was able to hold it in place if I didn\'t use full thrust. I was able to launch it and land it on the mun.

screenyjy.png

screenrmr.png

If you use two carts in symmetry, you can swap a part from one to the other, turning other attached parts upside down.

Letting you do things like this.....

cPDvJ.jpg

What can you do with this ? Go in the center of Kerbin ;P

This lets you fit stock solids as retro rockets on your spent stages, lets you mount landing legs upside down so you can make a bucket for pushing orbiting debris, and lets you do your missions properly if you\'re Australian.

Would it be possible to make a non-plugin part that has the same effect as this? I wouldn\'t want the demo users to miss out on the opportunity to do this kind of thing.

I don\'t think this exploit relies on the plugin part of the cart at all, instead it seems to work because the cart is surface attachable and also has attachment nodes top and bottom.

It\'s the only part I have seen with these two properties combined, so a non-plugin part with the same surface mountable and attachment node features should allow the same crazyness.