Can you destroy KSC with modded parts?

KooperIO

Is it using KE or Momentum?

Either way, massive +/ fast. (either mv or (mv^2)/2)

Is it actually using velocity or you just presume that it's using velocity? I seen some speculation that it's using mass and mass alone for calculating damage.

As I said in my earlier post, it uses mass*velocity (momentum) and I believe the threshold for the VAB is several thousand ton-meters-per-second...

As I said in my earlier post, it uses mass*velocity (momentum) and I believe the threshold for the VAB is several thousand ton-meters-per-second...

I think he is refering to the large planes that crash the runway just by spawning.

Yes, the physics lurch on initial load can cause a (or even several) >100m/s impact(s)... Try installing KJR which eases the physics startup and this (mostly) goes away...

This is one of my standard heavy asteroid tug launchers (about 3500 tons) with the launch clamps removed. Installing KJR (even with the first three part joint options disabled in the config) stops this from happening...

Edited by Padishar

Hum, momentum really does not seem to be the better choice in this IMHO. This is not a inelastic collision by any means ( momentum is not conserved ), so probably going by the conservation of Energy would be better ...

If you're going to start arguing realism then it needs to start accounting for many other things too, such as the fuel on board the parts and the flammability (or heat tolerance) of the structure being hit...

I suspect the damage model may be tweaked in later versions (like lots of things) though, since it isn't exactly a core gameplay mechanic it isn't exactly high priority...

Not arguing realism, just arguing the choice of variable ;) As there is no conservation of momentum ( this is a totally dissipative collision ) , using momentum as the deciding variable is not the best choice. Using momentum in this context makes as much sense as using the stupidity of the kerbal inside the impactor :P ( and assuming stupidity=max_value for non tripulated impactors ) . And it is not like coding m*v is SO much easier than (m*v^2)/2 :P

Yeah, momentum is an odd choice, energy makes far more sense (as a rocket explosion should do damage if close enough as well). I'd still lover to see cratering… I seem to recall, that at least for hypervelocity objects, crater diameter is roughly the cube root of the KE.

Alrighty i'll probably make an orbital bombardment satellite like ODIN from cod ghosts and not slow it down lol just thrust continually and hit the vab, of course i'd have to know when is the right time to get the payload out and then hit it lol.

I tried countless times with BDArmory's Weapons to no avail they did not destroy is there not modded compatibility yet?

A single 120mm cannon shell will shred one of the Tracking Station dishes. A burst from either the Goalkeeper or the GAU-8 will suffice, as well.

The VAB and SPH both require a direct hit from at least two Cluster Bombs at once to take them down.

The Administration building is able to be taken out by either an AGM-65 or one of the new HE-KV missiles.

You just need to keep trying different stuff. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.