I wonder if it's possible to...

I really wonder...is it possible to have a ship landed on Kerbin, but it would be so tall (it would consist of multiple small ship docked together) it would travel all the way to the Mün, basically ending with a tower with one side landed on Kerbin and the other side landed on the Mün.

Appart from the huge amount of time it would take, would it be possible to do something like this ?

Well, if you count the fact that the Mun isn't really conveniently placed (it's not keostationary), then no, it's completely impossible.

The Mun would go beyond the horizon, both stretching (distance between surface & Mun varies) the tower and ripping it off the Mun/Kerbin.

So a Space Elevator?

In theory it would be possible with some mods, and tweaking of the game (heck, its possible in real life). But since debris despawns after 2.5km, and i think ships don't load past 5km, you would have to edit that so it would stay loaded the entire length. Plus, there's the whole "Will your computer go into melt down" ( this is why they have the previous limits :P )

So, Yes it's probally possible. Unlikely, but possible.

Some guy has built creations which are larger than the planet Kerbin (a lot of Mass Effect/general sci-fi creations). I assume he uses rescaled and welded parts in order to do so, with the load limit expanded significantly. So what you're talking about wouldn't be impossible, as long as the endpoint was at Kerbin-synchronous orbit.

It may also be possible by way of Kerbal Konstructs; you may be able to create a long, thin building which stretches all the way up into Kerbin orbit. That might be a cool suggestion for a mod, actually.

Nope, not possible. (Maybe if you used modded and rescaled parts) When your craft hits about 2.2km in length, the Kraken gets paged and he addresses every part of your craft all at once.

Ask me how I know. :)

How do you know?

How do you know?

I built a craft in orbit once. The longest lander tower I ever started putting together. I was gonna land the base on the Mun. It would have had a five kilometer long ladder. The idea at the time was I wanted to see if I could have Kerbals climb it, and get them off the Mun by jetpacking away. Once I bolted on a section that took it above 2.2km. it shredded instantly. Many saves reload later I finally figure it just isn't possible, due to a limitation with the physics engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.