KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

Since the orbital velocities change if you adjust the rotation speeds (such as by slowing down Kerbin's rotation) and also change the planetary gravity to match (lower rotational speed requires lower total gravity for the same surface-gravity) my orbits should be messed up if I update the RSS 64K version without keeping the speed of Kerbin's rotation the same... (if the save still loads at all)

How exactly would the orbits be screwed up by a change of rotational speed of kerbin? Getting into an equatorial orbit will require more dV I guess, but once you are in space, I do not see how rotation would interfere with your orbit at all...

Since a 12h version is in the making, it will not matter that much, but you should be able to use the 24h version without issue, keeping all your orbits unaltered. Only your geostationary satellites will not quite live up to their names anymore ;)

It's a known issue now! ;) Thanks, this is caused by stupidity on my end. I have fixed it, but I also want to double check the rotational periods and add in an optional 12h day file for those who prefer it (thanks Shimmy for bringing this up during last night's space quest). I've run out of time this morning but will get a new version out tonight.

Heh, my pleasure to help!

Version 1.0.90.1 released

Small fix to the RemoteTech file so that the ground stations now work at the two new launch sites.

http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/64k/

Wow, that's fast. Thanks very much works great.

Have you thought about any sort of "Realism Overhaul" rebalancing? I only ask because while in Sandbox things work great, in Career it seems significantly harder to get out of LKO than it is to do the same in RO. In fact I've just had to cheat myself some extra funds to upgrade the launch pad just to put a satellite in GKO (though I delte most fuel tanks and use just procedural, so there may be more too it).

Version 1.0.90.2 released

8th Febuary 2015

• Fixed location of KSC
  • Added optional config for 12 hour days

Be sure to read the installation instructions packaged in the download.

Download from:

[Defunct link removed by a moderator]

http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/64k/

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

Wow, that's fast. Thanks very much works great.

Have you thought about any sort of "Realism Overhaul" rebalancing? I only ask because while in Sandbox things work great, in Career it seems significantly harder to get out of LKO than it is to do the same in RO. In fact I've just had to cheat myself some extra funds to upgrade the launch pad just to put a satellite in GKO (though I delte most fuel tanks and use just procedural, so there may be more too it).

I was also having thoughts along these lines, whilst far from impossible, career mode does impose a lot more restrictions.

Nothing drastic perhaps just an increase in the mass allowance of the 2nd level launchpad (is that even possible?) 140tonnes is still only really useful for manned Kerbin orbit (or lightweight interplanetry probes) 250 or even 200tonnes should do it.

Having to fully upgrade practically everything just to get a mission out of the Kerbin SOI is a bit harsh.

Also, thanks for the 12Hr config!! :)

On my install, the scaledspace version of Bop does not match the actual planetary body, which seems to be spherical. Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but if its reproducible, regenerating the .obj file should fix it. Unless of course, we want something more interesting than a sphere :3

Awesome! I've linked in the first post.

A dll refresh broke them for unknown reasons, unfortunately. I will try to sort this out today; in the meanwhile, using the KopernicusTech dll should make it work, however that means unfixed biomes for now.

Edit: Issue is resolved, configs should now work with OPM 1.5.2, edited downloadlink in the original post in the opm thread.

Edited by Tellion

Paul, I love this mod--it puts the early career (as far as I've gotten) right on the edge of possible with stock parts. To that end, I've just posted an album of my successful first orbit in 64k, done without upgrading the VAB (limit 30 parts) and with only the small parts availble in the first couple tiers of the tech tree. As you'll see... I just barely made it, but I *did* make it. I certainly won't be getting out of Very-LKO until I get a couple more upgrades, but I love the challenge of it. Thanks for your hard work.

Tellion, I've seen your posts re: the OPM integration into 64k, and I'm not clear whether you've worked out the kinks or not. I was worried when I saw they moved the mod off of RSS that there wouldn't be a way to merge the two mods, so I'm glad to see someone more clever than I giving it a go. I hope you've been successful.

Paul, I love this mod--it puts the early career (as far as I've gotten) right on the edge of possible with stock parts. To that end, I've just posted an album of my successful first orbit in 64k, done without upgrading the VAB (limit 30 parts) and with only the small parts availble in the first couple tiers of the tech tree. As you'll see... I just barely made it, but I *did* make it. I certainly won't be getting out of Very-LKO until I get a couple more upgrades, but I love the challenge of it. Thanks for your hard work.

Tellion, I've seen your posts re: the OPM integration into 64k, and I'm not clear whether you've worked out the kinks or not. I was worried when I saw they moved the mod off of RSS that there wouldn't be a way to merge the two mods, so I'm glad to see someone more clever than I giving it a go. I hope you've been successful.

Those pictures look amazing, thanks for sharing :)

I updated my calculator spreadsheet for the new rotations. Available on onedrive here.

I also ran the MapSatAltitude calculator for the ScanSAT. I modified the max altitude to also be multiplied by 1.64 (as sometimes the ideal altitude went *above* the max)!

Here are the results of running it at Very High resolution, with a smin of 1 and a smax of 3.

The text files don't have labels for each scanner. They go in order:

RADAR, MultiSpectral, SAR, ORS(and Regolith), EPL, Dmagic Magnometer, DMagic Imaging Platform

These use the 24 hour day configuration for planet rotation.

Edited by westamastaflash

How exactly would the orbits be screwed up by a change of rotational speed of kerbin? Getting into an equatorial orbit will require more dV I guess, but once you are in space, I do not see how rotation would interfere with your orbit at all...

If the planet's rotation speed is slower, the planet's gravity has to be weaker in order to create the same surface gravity value (1.00 g). Otherwise, you will have a higher surface-gravity value than before...

IF the planet's gravity well suddenly becomes weaker, than any satellite in a circular orbit will suddenly be flying too fast for a circular orbit at that altitude/speed, and will fly off further from the planet! And any craft on an escape-trajectory will suddenly veer off-course from wherever it was headed!

Not that it really matters- I just got a save-breaking bug that deleted all my existing craft anyways...

I HOPE you've actually re-balanced 6.4x Kerbin's gravity so as to maintain the same surface-gravity as stock Kerbin or Earth (at least at the 12 hour rotation speed), Paul?

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

IF the planet's gravity well suddenly becomes weaker, than any satellite in a circular orbit will suddenly be flying too fast for a circular orbit at that altitude/speed, and will fly off further from the planet! And any craft on an escape-trajectory will suddenly veer off-course from wherever it was headed!

I fail to follow you. Where does Newton's law of gravitation have rotational speed in its formula? You might make a case for effective surface gravity at the equator being slightly lower than at the poles due to the earth's rotation and associated centrifugal "force", and that speed actually concerns us a lot when we try to launch into retrograde or polar orbits, but why would an orbiting body care about that at all?

In a more empirical sense, why did not a single on of my vessels change their orbits when I switched from the 12h config to the 24h config on the same savegame? Have we discovered yet another flaw in KSP's physics simulation?

With a 12hr rotation period, the centrifugal acceleration at the equator is 3840000*4*pi^2/(86400/2)^2 = 0.081 m/s^2.

With a 24hr rotation period, this is 3840000*4*pi^2/(86400)^2 = 0.020 m/s^2.

(The acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s^2)

This is a 0.012 m/s^2 (= 0.1%) difference. I would consider this negligible, and I do not think that the mass of the planet would need to be increased to compensate for this effect.

With a 12hr rotation period, the centrifugal acceleration at the equator is 3840000*4*pi^2/(86400/2)^2 = 0.081 m/s^2.

With a 24hr rotation period, this is 3840000*4*pi^2/(86400)^2 = 0.020 m/s^2.

(The acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s^2)

This is a 0.012 m/s^2 (= 0.1%) difference. I would consider this negligible, and I do not think that the mass of the planet would need to be increased to compensate for this effect.

Welcome to the forums! :)

That is actually much more than I expected, but you are right, it is still not all that relevant, and not relevant at all as soon as you leave the atmosphere (arguably the ground).

Quick update on what I'm working on.

I noticed Mitiya's textures weren't being used. I've got those working again and in the process I've learned how to create the textures myself so I'll be adding larger textures for everything in the future (in medium and large sizes). I'm also working with using DDS format textures as they speed up loading and RSS has the DDS loader anyway so why not take advantage of it.

For the next update I'll have Mitiya's textures for Kerbin working and the fix for scansat included, that should be out later today or early tomorrow.

Paul, I ran into a somewhat annoying issue: There appears to be 2 versions of the Kerbal space center launch sites. One of them loads at the game start up, and the other one is accessed through simply changing your launch site to KSC. Basically the 'default' KSC cant be accessed after you change launch sites.. until you restart the game. This normally isn't a problem, but I'm using KCT for my playthough, which keeps a different ship build list for every site. Sometimes I forget to change the site at the beginning of the game, which results in my hard earned cash disappearing on me when I do change a launch site (and change back to KSC).

Am I doing something wrong / is there a work around?

Paul, I ran into a somewhat annoying issue: There appears to be 2 versions of the Kerbal space center launch sites. One of them loads at the game start up, and the other one is accessed through simply changing your launch site to KSC. Basically the 'default' KSC cant be accessed after you change launch sites.. until you restart the game. This normally isn't a problem, but I'm using KCT for my playthough, which keeps a different ship build list for every site. Sometimes I forget to change the site at the beginning of the game, which results in my hard earned cash disappearing on me when I do change a launch site (and change back to KSC).

Am I doing something wrong / is there a work around?

Forget what I just said, it seems to be a small bug on the KCT side. Sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.