[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

I've fixed some of the issues from the previous build for the upcoming version. Waypoint data shouldn't get lost when changing scenes while the map is still open, I've included an Active Texture Management config to prevent it from altering SCANsat's icon textures, and I've fixed a few other minor things.

I've also added a color selector for the useless slope maps. :confused: These maps use two sets of colors, one for "low" slope values and another for "high" values; I'll probably label the color selection window a bit better.

speKizj.png

A much more exciting addition is the ability to display and control MechJeb landing guidance targets. Any targets selected using the MechJeb interface will show up on the map of that planet. MechJeb targets are handled together with FinePrint waypoints, so they are both toggled on/off the same way.

You can also select a landing target through SCANsat by clicking on a location in the new zoom window. Target selection is activated by clicking the MechJeb target icon in the top bar of the zoom window. If you are in map mode you'll see the new target displayed on the planet surface, the same way you do while selecting targets through MechJeb.

Dt39D51.png

There are still a few kinks to work out, but mostly this works very simply. Everything is handled through a separate, small plugin, since MechJeb is too complicated to handle through reflection.

The MechJeb target icon will only show up on the zoom map when you have MechJeb installed, your current vessel has a MechJeb module (it doesn't have to be the actual MechJeb part, any part with the MechJeb part module added will count), and if the current map target planet matches your vessel's current planet.

What about my idea on the zoom window a bit earlier?

Keeping the window on top? As far as I know that's a Unity GUI problem, that kind of thing happens all of the time when you have different windows on top of each other. I've never really looked into it though.

Really looking great.... Excellent additions and work...

Any 'chance' of being able to use the capabilities of the mod 'trajectories' to show it's projection as to where orbits and eventual crash/ landing will be???

just a thought.

I like their algorithms, but your display / zoom / package.....

again, you have come a long way with this and have made scansat a required mod.....

cheers.

Really looking great.... Excellent additions and work...

Any 'chance' of being able to use the capabilities of the mod 'trajectories' to show it's projection as to where orbits and eventual crash/ landing will be???

Trajectories seems to have a nice, friendly API for this sort of thing, so I can probably add this without much trouble.

What I want to do first is add landing selection independent of MechJeb. So you could select a landing site on the zoom map and have it show on the map and on the actual planet in map view (and maybe in the flight scene too); I'll probably just borrow MechJeb's method for doing that and add some options to the settings menu to toggle MechJeb/Trajectories integration if they are available. Different colors could probably be used to differentiate between landing targets associated with different addons.

Small bug here, actually two, one, you can actually set the colors to be transparent, and two, the second color set (which I'm not really getting is supposed to indicate, a legend would be useful here) doesn't appear in the zoom-in box.

Also, maybe a slope percentage indicator?

Oh wait, that second one is supposed to indicate very steep slopes, and perhaps peaks.

Edit4: Now the second color is showing in the zoom. I was looking at Duna earlier.

Edit5: Well, the second color was showing up for Kerbin in the zoom, but not for Duna, though Dunas are tiny anyway.

screenshot114_zpshjm5l7tg.png

Edited by smjjames

Trajectories seems to have a nice, friendly API for this sort of thing, so I can probably add this without much trouble.

What I want to do first is add landing selection independent of MechJeb. So you could select a landing site on the zoom map and have it show on the map and on the actual planet in map view (and maybe in the flight scene too); I'll probably just borrow MechJeb's method for doing that and add some options to the settings menu to toggle MechJeb/Trajectories integration if they are available. Different colors could probably be used to differentiate between landing targets associated with different addons.

Sounds great...

All of your additions and new stuff ROCKS............................

This needs to be part of KSP....

Really good stuff...

Cheers.

Oof, major bug here, the zoom is somehow stuck on Karbonite and is showing the colors and data for karbonite, while the big map is set to minerals.

Edit: Going to spacecenter fixed it, went back to the craft and it's fine now, no idea how it happened. Also, the slope colors that I set aren't persistent between crafts as it reset to the old color scheme.

Edit: Wait, I think I've reproduced that bug, give me a sec.

Edit3: It has something to do with it not realizing that the big map changed the resource display. Like I went back to KSC, changed it to water (which Duna, unfortunately, has none, it's drier than the Atacama desert, I thought it would have some at the poles) and both the main map and zoom showed that fine, changed main map to substrate, zoom still stuck on water.

Also, it's somehow remembering the resource selection from the previous scene because when I went back to the lander probe, the big map resource is showing uranite, which is what I left it on, but the zoom map is showing substrate, which is what I left the KSC map on.

screenshot115_zpslel22jcn.png

Edited by smjjames

Oof, major bug here, the zoom is somehow stuck on Karbonite and is showing the colors and data for karbonite, while the big map is set to minerals.

Edit: Going to spacecenter fixed it, went back to the craft and it's fine now, no idea how it happened. Also, the slope colors that I set aren't persistent between crafts as it reset to the old color scheme.

The zoom map does not automatically sync with the big map. You can zoom in/out, or re-center it without it updating to the big map's current settings. I figured there were a lot of situations where you might want to have a different map type, resource overlay, etc... in the zoom map.

Click the zoom scale indicator in the center of the top menu of the zoom map to re-sync everything (there's a tooltip for it, if you've turned them off). You can also right-click on the big map somewhere to open the map again; there is a bug in that though, it won't reset the resources.

The slope colors should persistent through anything that involves saving, they work basically the same as biome colors.

As for the transparent colors, Unity doesn't understand non-square textures, at least as far as I know, so when you click somewhere outside of the wheel, but within the texture you'll get transparent colors. I might put some kind of gray background just to make it clear what's going on there.

Oh you're supposed to click on the zoom indicator numbers, I thought we were supposed to click the -/+ magnifying glasses. Sorry for the total misunderstanding there.

Also, don't get me wrong, I think this mod is awesome, I'm just trying to help with the bugs.

I'll just save the slope colors to config I guess.

Oh you're supposed to click on the zoom indicator numbers, I thought we were supposed to click the -/+ magnifying glasses. Sorry for the total misunderstanding there.

Also, don't get me wrong, I think this mod is awesome, I'm just trying to help with the bugs.

That's what I want. :kiss:

I intentionally leave some of this stuff a little vague and don't have the detailed descriptions and tutorials that the release thread has because I want to know what needs explaining (and because the gifs take forever to make...).

Welcome, lol :D

Also, the slope color is still reverting to the ugly pee-yellow scheme on craft or scene change even though I set the default in the config. The resource colors stay on the new colors that I put them on, even without setting them in the config, why can't the slope color stay persistent like that?

Also, when it reverts to that old color scheme, it shows the old color as a light grey (exact center of the color wheel I think) for all four color slots.

Edited by smjjames

Welcome, lol :D

Also, the slope color is still reverting to the ugly pee-yellow scheme on craft or scene change even though I set the default in the config. The resource colors stay on the new colors that I put them on, even without setting them in the config, why can't the slope color stay persistent like that?

I see what the problem is. I'll hold off a bit to see if anything else comes up, but it's an easy fix; it's affecting biome colors too.

Okay.

is the fact that Duna is bone dry (drier than that even) a bug though? I thought it was coded to always have some water? Although I think I recall seeing the sensor showing some atmospheric water, but there's no way of actually extracting it from the atmosphere.

Its not that huge a deal as it might seem since I can just distill it out of karbonite.

A minor fix is up on GitHub.

Slope and biome color selections are now persistent, these will complain in the debug log and reset to defaults upon the first load.

The zoom map properly resets when opening again from the big map.

any chance of ever being able to see craft orbits without being in the Flight scene? Like, in the tracking center with the map open selecting a vessel and seeing its track on the map?

That should be doable in the tracking station. Doing so in the Space Center raises the problem of not having any simple way to select a vessel to show, and displaying multiple orbits is not really feasible.

That should be doable in the tracking station. Doing so in the Space Center raises the problem of not having any simple way to select a vessel to show, and displaying multiple orbits is not really feasible.

Cool, I that's exactly what I figured. In your own time then :)

I'm having a problem with the MechJeb landing targets not showing up on the big map or zoom map. The target point should be showing up in the middle of that spot of substrate, but it's not there.

screenshot123_zpsricgeogo.png

Also, I thought you said that I can select a landing spot by selecting the big map or maybe the zoom map, but I can't for either one.