[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

I'm having a problem with the MechJeb landing targets not showing up on the big map or zoom map. The target point should be showing up in the middle of that spot of substrate, but it's not there.

What version of MechJeb are you using? It's entirely possible that this won't work with the dev builds.

That should be doable in the tracking station. Doing so in the Space Center raises the problem of not having any simple way to select a vessel to show, and displaying multiple orbits is not really feasible.

Did you create a GitHub issue for this? If not I will submit one

What version of MechJeb are you using? It's entirely possible that this won't work with the dev builds.

Dev build 429 (which has been the latest for a week now), and actually, the targeting cross and the zoom window button for it was showing up in an earlier SCANsat version back here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96859-0-90-SCANsat-v11-0rc4-Dev-version-Apr-18?p=1845024&viewfull=1#post1845024

So, it actually was working three days ago and I was using the same MJ dev build then.

Did you create a GitHub issue for this? If not I will submit one

It's added to the list.

Dev build 429 (which has been the latest for a week now), and actually, the targeting cross and the zoom window button for it was showing up in an earlier SCANsat version back here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96859-0-90-SCANsat-v11-0rc4-Dev-version-Apr-18?p=1845024&viewfull=1#post1845024

So, it actually was working three days ago and I was using the same MJ dev build then.

Nothing changed from the previous version for MechJeb targeting.

Is this a sandbox game? If not there might be something wrong with the way I'm checking to see if the Landing Guidance module has been unlocked. Does it work with a new vessel, or after saving and loading?

It's added to the list.

Nothing changed from the previous version for MechJeb targeting.

Is this a sandbox game? If not there might be something wrong with the way I'm checking to see if the Landing Guidance module has been unlocked. Does it work with a new vessel, or after saving and loading?

Same science mode as the game from earlier.

I can try with a new save, but can't right now.

I acdtually tried exiting and reloading when I found out that problem earlier and I tried with other crafts that were en-route to Duna and nope, same thing.

:confused:

I guess that's what I get for trying to maintain strict version control over this sort of thing. I forgot to update the hard-coded version number used at startup to check if a valid SCANsat version is installed...

I'll see about fixing that, and maybe adding in the tracking station orbits and a stand-alone landing target system that can be used instead of the MechJeb system.

just wanted to say a HUGE thanks to whomever is helping develop this mod as it is quintessential to the style in which I choose to play ksp without this mod my game would be allot less fun for me

big up and ps AWSOME revamp LOVE ....LOVE the ability to change colors also love the crappy scanner first then the better scanner (reason to upgrade is awesome)

please keep up the awesome work

.... small question is there hope of

1) integrating a ore scanner and

2) a map x planet of moon contract

into this package as that would just knock this up to no 1 mod to have along with k.E.R

yours in gratitude

the hawk

I've fixed the broken MechJeb targeting. I've also gone ahead and added a targeting system that works independently of MechJeb. You can toggle MechJeb targeting in the settings menu if you have it installed.

The standard targeting works the same as MechJeb landing guidance targeting, just open the zoom map, select the targeting icon and pick a site on the map. You can clear any existing targets by clicking outside of the map, but inside of the zoom map window (somewhere along the top or bottom for instance). Landing sites are persistent, each planet can have one site saved that will show up like regular waypoints.

I've also borrowed MechJeb's map overlay drawing method. I used a different color and a four arrow target to help differentiate the two overlays if you are using both separately.

I added Tracking Station orbit viewing as well, it was a simple change.

You can see the different map overlay and the different landing icons used for SCANsat targeting.

tOHbdwa.png

And MechJeb landing guidance targeting here:

WJMds8W.png

Version 11rc5 is up on GitHub.

It fixes the problems with MechJeb integration.

It also adds a MechJeb-independent landing site selection system as described above, along with orbits viewable in the tracking station.

I'm hoping to make this the last update before version 1 is released. So please let me know if there are any bugs or unexpected behavior.

Will do. Downloading to start checking now.

Quick question and sorry if I have missed this somewhere in earlier posts...

Is there any way to dump / export the scanned anomaly positions into a file? And maybe one step further, a file that could be read by a waypoint manager?????

of course, a simple file with anomaly coordinates would be a great start...

Many thanks for everything DMagic... Really great work.

Version 11rc5 is up on GitHub.

It fixes the problems with MechJeb integration.

It also adds a MechJeb-independent landing site selection system as described above, along with orbits viewable in the tracking station.

I'm hoping to make this the last update before version 1 is released. So please let me know if there are any bugs or unexpected behavior.

Thanks SOOOO much for the targeting system! Will make it so much easier to select a landing site when flipping back and forth between resources in the map!

DMagic did you tweak part mass at all? I have a craft that is slightly heavier than it used to be and it has two scanners on it. I didn't see anything in the change log about mass tweaking but this and kOS are the only two mods I've installed since I last checked my vehicle mass

DMagic did you tweak part mass at all? I have a craft that is slightly heavier than it used to be and it has two scanners on it. I didn't see anything in the change log about mass tweaking but this and kOS are the only two mods I've installed since I last checked my vehicle mass

I think there were some minor adjustments to the parts around version 6 or so. But there haven't been any further changes that I can remember, certainly in not in this release.

Edit: That does remind me that I've been meaning to tweak the parts forever.

I converted everything to DDS, reduced all of the main textures, 6 of them, to 512X512 (they were 1k before), and switched everything to MODEL nodes, which means that the useless MapTraq part no longer needs its own texture as it can point at the BTDT texture (which was reduced from 512 to 128X128).

This takes the part memory footprint from around 25MB to around 6MB. There is a slight drop in texture quality, but you have to be really close to the part to notice it. If you run with ATM (if it works with DDS?) there might be a more noticeable drop in quality, but that's what happens.

Edited by DMagic

Would you guys consider overriding the resource insta scan mechanic in 1.0? Or maybe you already have something in the works regarding that? Roverdude just told me in twitch chat that this is the right place to ask for this.

Quick word of appreciation: Your work is enhancing the living crap out of KSP. Thank you!

DMagic, Yup this mod is really great.

Any chance in future that you might be able to add;

a) zoom map 'move' buttons. Something like little arrows that would move the center of the zoom up, down, left, right, or corner directions by something like 25% of current zoom?

B) AutoFollow, where when selected the zoomed map would continuously stay centered on the 'active' craft. Especially for the BTDT sensor... Would be great to have it stay centered as cruising around.

just some early Christmas wish list stuff.

Again, great stuff and well done.

Would you guys consider overriding the resource insta scan mechanic in 1.0? Or maybe you already have something in the works regarding that? Roverdude just told me in twitch chat that this is the right place to ask for this.

Quick word of appreciation: Your work is enhancing the living crap out of KSP. Thank you!

Stay tuned.

DMagic, Yup this mod is really great.

Any chance in future that you might be able to add;

a) zoom map 'move' buttons. Something like little arrows that would move the center of the zoom up, down, left, right, or corner directions by something like 25% of current zoom?

B) AutoFollow, where when selected the zoomed map would continuously stay centered on the 'active' craft. Especially for the BTDT sensor... Would be great to have it stay centered as cruising around.

just some early Christmas wish list stuff.

Again, great stuff and well done.

a is a possibility, though the middle-click or Alt+right-click serves basically the same purpose. Maybe some kind of arrows that appear when you mouse-over the edges of the map, so that extra buttons along the sides wouldn't be needed as I want to keep the zoom map as small as possible.

I don't really like b though. For one thing this would require some kind of interface to activate and deactivate this, as you wouldn't want the zoom map to always follow the vessel.

But more importantly it isn't really feasible because of the performance hit of constantly updating the map. Both the big map and the small map cache the elevation data, since they show the entire planet. This isn't possible with the zoom map because the zoom scale can change and the center of the map can change. Updating this data is very slow, so it won't really work.

The version 1.0 update is mostly working. The actual map-breaking bugs have been fixed and are relatively minor.

Resource integration is fairly simple and seems to be working ok. Map overlays are working the same as before, though I'd like to get to the point where I can override the stock planet overlay so that easy-mode scanning can be disabled.

One immediate issue that I've noticed is that not all overlay types actually seem to match up. Only the dot grid overlay seems to actually be accurate.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The poles have very high Ore density, but they don't show anything using the line or blob overlay. There are other differences visible as well when switching between the different modes, but the dot grid seems to be consistently more accurate.

The SCANsat map overlay is working the same as before.

tYJbXof.png

Regular SCANsat functions also seem to be OK (a minor tech node adjustment is needed) and MechJeb integration works with 2.5.

Hopefully I'll have something ready by the weekend.