When Female Kerbals are added, be sure to make at least one an orange-suit.

Do the white suits not actually respawn in non-permadeath, because I am pretty sure that is just a myth that the white suits don't respawn. So I don't see whatt the point is unless you are going to use it to attract attention to her. Though I guess I would be fine with it.

Agreed: here are some potential name suggestions: (insert "Kerman" as you will)

- Valentina - First woman in space (USSR)

- Sally - First American woman in space

- Mae - First African American woman in space

- Chiaki - First Japanese woman in space

- Claudie - First French woman in space

- Liu Yang - First Chinese woman in space

- Roberta - First Canadian female astronaut

Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_astronauts

Edited by CaptainShark

Why? The orange suits are effectively an homage to an earlyer state of the game. They are special because they are the first that there ever was in the game.

but muh equality!

I agree there is no need for it...but since it will probably happen anyway i propose Asteria, after the Titan goddess of nocturnal oracles and falling stars

Edited by r4pt0r

Why? The orange suits are effectively an homage to an earlyer state of the game. They are special because they are the first that there ever was in the game.

^This. It's not about equality, it's simply a reference to the early game. Just like the Mk1 pod memorial statue on the back of the VAB.

Agreed: here are some potential name suggestions: (insert "Kerman" as you will)

- Valentina - First woman in space (USSR)

- Sally - First American woman in space

- Mae - First African American woman in space

- Chiaki - First Japanese woman in space

- Claudie - First French woman in space

- Liu - First Chinese woman in space

- Roberta - First Canadian female astronaut

Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_astronauts

Yelena Serova - arguably the hottest women to go to space.

Removed by the Moderation Team

There was some blog post some day, a scan from the notebook where Harvester(?) and his brother(??) kept track of their results while playing rockets. Their imaginary Astronauts were named Jebediah and Bill and Bob. This is a prime example of standard everyday sexism if you will, but to everyone in the know, it's also a reminder of how KSP has its roots in the dreams of a boy.

Edited by sal_vager

- Liu - First Chinese woman in space

Liu is her family name, so Yang would be more appropriate. Still, the orange suit team weren't named for famous people, so I feel like the same should be true for any special female Kerbonaut group.

Why not make a new special 3? Maybe blue suits or something like that for the female Kerbals.

Agreed.

This is a prime example of standard everyday sexism if you will, but to everyone in the know, it's also a reminder of how KSP has its roots in the dreams of a boy.

Exactly. No need to demote those three – they do represent the KSP's origins. Instead, just nudge anyone who plays the game so that their imaginary astronaut corps includes men and women.

Threads like these are pointless and always devolve into ridiculous arguments. Squad already said they are going to do this just let them do it and stop arguing about things you have no input or control over. The thread is going to end up getting locked like every single other one about the SAME EXACT subject over and over.

There's something to be said for two teams, but there's also something to be said for (a) mixed team(s). The former has the advantage of continuity, but it has the disadvantage of segregation.

I'm very glad that while KSP is grounded in the dreams of a boy, the KSP community is a very big, very diverse family, and I'm glad Squad is very cognizant of that.

Ugh... really? We're going to have THIS discussion?

Someone literally said "hey, these guys respawn, it'd be cool to have female ones who do too".

Could there be a discussion anywhere onn the internet about integrating female characters that doesn't devolve into "No! They have cooties!" replies?

As long as there is no talk of removing jeb, bill or bob then all`s fine. We should have another three female kerbals with orange suits that also have folksy names with slight humour.

I`m not so into having them be all serious, give them names that are as much tongue in cheek as jeb, bill and bob are for male astronauts.

Let`s face it, they sound like farmers.

EDIT :

Not wanting to descend into `that thread` but phrasing your statement in terms of male and female make your statement sexist and by implication sexism. People do not have to earn basic rights, not being excluded due to gender (it seems the S word is filtered) or colour is one for example. The thing males did to earn the special thing was to be in a privileged place, which is no real reason at all.

EDIT 2:

There was some blog post some day, a scan from the notebook where Harvester(?) and his brother(??) kept track of their results while playing rockets. Their imaginary Astronauts were named Jebediah and Bill and Bob. This is a prime example of standard everyday sexism if you will, but to everyone in the know, it's also a reminder of how KSP has its roots in the dreams of a boy.

If you mean the scribbled page of test rockets, when I looked at it I saw an astronauts called Kirk, Kurt, johnny, Kelly and Sara Kerman...

Looks like even the dreams of a boy can avoid excluding women...

KSP_LOG001.jpg

Edited by sal_vager
unfiltering

Really? What would females have to do to earn the right to be represented in a game they play? What did males do to earn the right to be the sole gender represented in KSP?

Edited by sal_vager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.