Compatibility Popup Blocker

Khatharr

I don't use firespitter, but I do have some mods that use the dll. AFAIK there's an up-to-date dll for it, because I'm not getting warnings from it. I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, right. snjo has it on the firespitter github. It's kind of a pain in the butt, but if you go here:

https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter

On the lower-right there's a 'download' link. It will download the whole 40mb thing because github.

The updated dll is in the "For release/Firespitter/Plugins" folder once you unzip the downloaded file.

Note that I have no clue whether or not it will work correctly with the release version of firespitter, but it works correctly for other stuff like Nothke's service compartments or infernal robotics, etc.

Or, if you go to the Firespitter thread, immediately under the KerbalStuff link, there's a link to this:

http://snjo.github.io/

Middle button in the top row is "Download Plugin" to save the larger download and having to prune out parts and such.

Oh, and -force_opengl doesn't fix everything on a 32bit, and it'll kill your performance when using RSS due to huge textures (not to mention it messes up LoD, which is nice for speeding up loading and reducing part memory usage). I'd rather use 64bit, it at least has a chance of working.

Just a thought - have you tried Linux x64? Very stable, no mods are locked on it and apparently pretty easy to dual-boot in Windows.

Please review the popup blocker 1.0.2 behavior and let me know what you think.

For me this can be a good enough middle ground. Personally I'd like to see it come up some times even if you tell it not to show again (say, every 20 or something restarts), but I can live with the current version. Glad to see this :)

P.S: unfortunately I don't think that it will find a very warm welcome, but we are miles away from the initial "block everything at all" release.

Also this. Consider the time you invested in this, Khatharr.

Heh... Just an aside, but back when CC was released, a similar principle to that which the XKCD comic is describing was what sprung to my mind. It was announced that the reason for CC's development was to minimise the amount of time spent by modders responding to ghost bug reports based on outdated versions.

I choose not to code publicly, so can't quantify the time spent on this activity (although personally, I'd just ignore bad reports on general principle), but this reasoning always struck me as odd because it was almost inevitable that the dubious bug reports would be replaced with questions/complaints about compatability checker's behaviour and how to circumvent it or recompile.

I can't say for certain whether the questions around the appropriateness of using CC exceed or match the time spent reading crappy bug reports, but the fact that it's escalated to this point makes me suspect that the Y-axis gains of CC might be a little overstated.

Interesting thread, nonetheless. Hope to see it reach a sensible conclusion.

For me this can be a good enough middle ground. Personally I'd like to see it come up some times even if you tell it not to show again (say, every 20 or something restarts), but I can live with the current version. Glad to see this :)

P.S: unfortunately I don't think that it will find a very warm welcome, but we are miles away from the initial "block everything at all" release.

The code is licensed in such a way as to allow usage in order anyone to implement that kind of solution if it's what they prefer. If, for instance, you were to change the _version to 5, then write in your mod-checking methods, then write in the 20-starts behavior, you could use that as a CC fork with your desired behavior implemented. Most probably users will be far less bothered by the popup in that case, and they won't see any need to look for a blocker.

My preferred solution is one where no one feels the need for this mod. Any method that makes that happen is 100% good with me. Does that make sense?

If you're okay with it, I can write up the 20-run method and send it to you to do with as you please.

I can't say for certain whether the questions around the appropriateness of using CC exceed or match the time spent reading crappy bug reports, but the fact that it's escalated to this point makes me suspect that the Y-axis gains of CC might be a little overstated.

My honest estimation is that popup blocker will actually reduce the number of reports.

When people see the warning, they look for a new version. If there isn't a new version available they won't feel compelled to post in the thread asking how to disable the popup.

Edited by Khatharr

• 6 months later...
As far as the "I'm tired of supporting noobs that run old versions" argument is concerned, it's really, really simple. Post bug reporting guidelines in your forum thread. If the guidelines are not followed, them IGNORE THE DAMN POST. It's quite obvious to me that if a poster cannot follow guidelines set forth by the mod author in a particular thread, then there will most likely be nothing to gain from said bug report in the first place. If you wish to continue beating you're head on the wall with bug reports that don't even start by posting a log, the who's the real idiot? When people see pop ups in game. it tends to .... them off. As a result, we see the mod posted here.

I...Love...YOU!! You could not have said it any better and if modders would really do this we might have a working win64 KSP right now!!