Community Mun Base 2.0

It\'s pretty difficult to get to, as is requires a plane change, but also when landing you need to land at almost exactly the middle or you slide down the sides. It\'s probably easier now that I have my main ship there to reference against, though.

Also, my ship is really quite big (21.5 fuel tanks and 11 engines, including the return stage), so it makes a good base center.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9656.0;attach=17893;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9656.0;attach=17895;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9656.0;attach=17897;image

Thank you Mr_orion.

Believe it or not, I actually seriously considered! An originally intended to start Landing Zone Alpha at that site, but due to a confussion an lack of fuel on my part, I set up camp where I did!

PS: Really liked your lander design! Lots of legs.

Landing Zone Alpha:

Please suggest what landing zone youd like:

1. South Pole Crator.

2. Mr_Orion LZ @

That is a very nice LZ. I noticed that myself, and considered we could set up base there. I even came up with a name for it.

Jeb\'s Crack :P Lol I tried landing there, with limited success, but with a bit more trial and error should be fine. Oh, and the name for it. Kinda got inspired by a video on youtube called \'Jeb Corliss 'grinding the crack'\' It is truly an awesome video. You must watch it. No exceptions. Just go find and watch it. The guy is called Jeb. He\'s just as mad as the KSP Jeb.

Thank you Mr_orion.

Believe it or not, I actually seriously considered! An originally intended to start Landing Zone Alpha at that site, but due to a confussion an lack of fuel on my part, I set up camp where I did!

Landing Zone Alpha:

1. South Pole Crator.

2. Mr_Orion LZ @

My vote\'s for the South Pole crater.

Looks like at a brief, there is interest in both sites.

I\'d like too open both, however there is the fear that pilots, will start randomly landing at all 3 Landing Zones, making this a little confussing for new members.

I am seriously considering the following:

1. Landing Zone Alpha - Bill\'s Plateau

(Present LZ: OPEN - However Restricting Landings too 10 (Presently 6), due too Potential Lag Crashing for Laptop users)

2. Landing Zone Bravo - Jeb\'s Crack*

(Proposed LZ by Mr_Orion: OPEN - Easy alternative to LZ Alpha)

* Thanks Apotheosist - For hilarious name.

3. Landing Zone Charlie - Bob\'s Bottom

(Proposed South Pole Crators by Seanoog: OPEN - Hard alternative to LZ Alpha, Limited Landing/Maneuvering Space, in each crator)

What do members think?

I vote for continuing with the current sight..

I wouldn\'t refuse a Persistance file, however I make the decision to open more Landing Zones, only so every community member can access the file.

Not every one has a PC capable of handling 500+ Parts, which it LZ Alpha soon will have.

Causing Lag crash\'s.

Even though they can\'t fly, they\'ll be able to live there for years.

Gojira, do you wish too rebook another flight on the Stock Mun Base?

Thanks about the compliments with the lander! I ran out of rcs fuel just before landing though, due to being a bit impatient with turning while in orbit.

Actually, I\'m not 100% sure but I think that\'s actually my old lander design. My new one is a little lighter and has the ability to leave the older stage behind on the mun\'s surface due to using a stack decoupler instead of 3 radial decouplers.

I wouldn\'t mind having a south pole crator base, but I\'m a little afraid the crator may be patched out (as well at the sharp hills at the north pole) since it\'s apparently a problem with the current terrain generator.

If the votes for the South Pole crators overall, I\'d happily re-fly there (I have enough fuel, after all!).

Otherwise, we could challenge ourselves and attempt to land at the north pole, though that\'d be so difficult it probably isn\'t worth the effort and it would help in fixing the lag issue because most people would go to Alpha anyways.

The problem with the poles is that they require a lot more Delta-v to reach, so it\'s still easier to land at Alpha. We might need another equatorial base for the newer players.

I don\'t mind what area is chosen, I\'m happy just to see the base develop :)

But really, anywhere more than 200m away will avoid the major slowdown when ships come off rails, and it\'d be somewhat cool to be able to see the other base in the distance.

Thanks about the compliments with the lander! I ran out of rcs fuel just before landing though, due to being a bit impatient with turning while in orbit.

Actually, I\'m not 100% sure but I think that\'s actually my old lander design. My new one is a little lighter and has the ability to leave the older stage behind on the mun\'s surface due to using a stack decoupler instead of 3 radial decouplers.

I wouldn\'t mind having a south pole crator base, but I\'m a little afraid the crator may be patched out (as well at the sharp hills at the north pole) since it\'s apparently a problem with the current terrain generator.

If the votes for the South Pole crators overall, I\'d happily re-fly there (I have enough fuel, after all!).

Otherwise, we could challenge ourselves and attempt to land at the north pole, though that\'d be so difficult it probably isn\'t worth the effort and it would help in fixing the lag issue because most people would go to Alpha anyways.

The problem with the poles is that they require a lot more Delta-v to reach, so it\'s still easier to land at Alpha. We might need another equatorial base for the newer players.

I found that out at my cost... Tried landing your design an no RCS on landing... Didn\'t end too well. The lived, but cant get home. :D

Landing Zone Bravo, is still easy to reach, so should continue to entice new members, with limited piloting skills.

The Landing Zone Charlie, is for advanced/experianced pilots.

Been browsing this thread @ http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9344.0

Tring to understand, an Setup a Kessler server locally on my PC too Host.

This would allow regular flights, from all members very quickly. Not waiting days.

Can any members here had any luck with servers, it\'s the one area of computer I HATE.

Any help understanding, setting up would be great...

It\'s pretty easy to actually land without RCS, as long as you take your time. The craft has more than enough fuel to hover and make tiny adjustments, so you just need to remember not to try and land too quickly. I\'m pretty surprised that you managed to destroy it in such a way that they lived, but can\'t get home!

The return stage has more than enough fuel to get back... you must\'ve landed really awkwardly to damage the return stage!

It\'s pretty easy to actually land without RCS, as long as you take your time. The craft has more than enough fuel to hover and make tiny adjustments, so you just need to remember not to try and land too quickly. I\'m pretty surprised that you managed to destroy it in such a way that they lived, but can\'t get home!

The return stage has more than enough fuel to get back... you must\'ve landed really awkwardly to damage the return stage!

Hard enough to land, when you usually relay on RCA assisted landings.

Then when engaging RCS discovered you shafted. :D

Still lovely craft, an it\'s design will inspire my next large Mun lander design.

So if we do go with a new landing site will it be multiple persistence files or just one but different zones.

Valid question.

Thankfully the Persistance files are very flexible.

An the only reason I am considering other landing spots is to reduce lag crashes, an low FPS for laptop users.

So to sneaker you question, a single Persistance file for all Three LZ\'s. No need to split it further, as all proposed sites are far enough away.

Yeah keep them all in one file, the lag is only really bad when you get to 200m of the other craft and they come off rails.

KSP deliberately doesn\'t load distant vessels so as to keep the game playable on slower computers.

Yeah keep them all in one file, the lag is only really bad when you get to 200m of the other craft and they come off rails.

KSP deliberately doesn\'t load distant vessels so as to keep the game playable on slower computers.

I intend to.

As for lag spike, when I get above 2Km, when ships are loaded into memory + constructed.

Then another spike, taking all craft off rails.

But landing, with all the craft, is lag free due too my pc power.

Just, my experience but I must consider the whole community.

God - any progress?

I really don\'t want too cut you off this flight, it\'s been over 4 days. Consideration given for your hardware problem.

Original Post updated -

Now its Seanoog\'s Go...

Any Members, who missed the launch window are welcome to book another flight.

I\'d like to join the stock Mun base queue, seems great!

Thank you for your compliment, an you have been added to the flight list.

Please be patient, as the list is long.

No problem, I\'m taking this lander out for testing, which was a good idea since it couldn\'t launch anymore, and the landing gear was a bit weak. Right now it got twice as much gear, but it broke itself because they hit eachother :(

I was scouting out south polar landing sites... It really is quite rugged down there, but I landed on a ledge overlooking the crater I think you were talking about?

q5o3E.jpg

Minimal lander, designed to leave three stable tanks behind on landing legs when it returns. This\'ll be my next ship.

The view with the camera positioned exactly at the south pole:

8G28k.jpg

xgzzT.png

I was scouting out south polar landing sites... It really is quite rugged down there, but I landed on a ledge overlooking the crater I think you were talking about?

q5o3E.jpg

Minimal lander, designed to leave three stable tanks behind on landing legs when it returns. This\'ll be my next ship.

The view with the camera positioned exactly at the south pole:

8G28k.jpg

xgzzT.png

Thanks, but I noticed there is Four Large craters (Roughly 150M x 100M x 80M) surrounded by a strangely flat area!

I\'ll drop a lander + a flag in one of them. An call it LZ Charlie...

I must admit, when on the clock, it\'s infuriatingly difficult.

I have had too re-download, Persistance file + extract the KSP 14.4 build.

To eliminate corrupt saves, plus rebuild my APOLLO-02 ship.

Kept randomly flipping over in atmosphere...

Found 2-3 undocumented bugs, an wasn\'t even looking, typically they pop up, when trying to contribute.

Took nearly 20 launches to get to the Mun SOI, then the exploding bug broke my ship. Have up late last night

I now can appreciate why it took members some time.

More too come folks...

Yes, I\'ll try again.

Will add you now.

Yeah the latest KSP seems quite buggy, and for some reason I also crash quite a lot on it, while the previous versions didn\'t do so at all.

As a member fortunite enough to be on the Volunter Test Group, I am afraid, we rarely get more than 24-48 hours with a single Test build, which at times I feel is never enough, too get ALL the bugs.

I just wish Harvester gave us, enough time in the later/last test build, closer to a week, to trouble shoot.

However I do appreciate him not wanting to test that long, with close too 20-30 thousand players wanted to download it...

Moving on, I have made a succesful landing at Landing Zone A, also left a little surprise on a Kerbol Escape Trajectory..

An now about to officially attempt colonizing Landing Zones B + C.

Does any active members have any objects too these proposed landing sites?

(B = Jeb\'s Crack + C = Bob\'s Bottom) @

Thank you Mr_orion.

Landing Zone Alpha:

1. South Pole Crator.

2. Mr_Orion LZ @