Beginners Gilly probe

Me being a bit of a beginner myself, especially when compared to someone like Scott Manley, I have been wondering about how to get to Gilly, Eve's only moon.

I'm really doing this as a compensation for not being able to post a mission today, but I have put together an experimental Gilly probe for beginners. As I have said just now, it is experimental, and I'm not sure if it works as I haven't tested it yet, so feel free to report any issues.

Gilly%2Blander.png

(I'm getting a little sick of this. Can someone please tell me how to make pictures bigger without changing their dimensions?)

What we have here is a small, compact and fairly lightweight probe with landing legs (Well, it needs to land, right?)

It can, at most, produce 4.75 electric charge, so I have set the thruster limit to 40% as a safety protocol, but you may change it on your own game if you wish.

The Delta-V is about 6.88 Km/s.

It can do various science experiments. Starting small for now, but I'll find a way to fit in the Goo in the next probe I make.

It has a parachute for returning to Kerbin. On top of this, it can fit snug inside the 1.25m expanded fairings from Kw rocketry. Isn't that just cute?

Anyway, I wanted to share my probe with you guys. Here it is: http://www./download/be95h2r6zqroyve/Gilly+lander.craft

Feel free to post an improved version below (or rather above) if you find that this could use work.

Edited by Xannari Ferrows
I found the Delta-V

If you aren't afraid to part clip, you could fit a science junior and mystery goo inside of the capsule (sneaky, right?)

I'll have to try it out.

You found out my tactic to fit an R.T.G in there. It's hiding from everyone.

That's adorable. I wish I could just cuddle up with it and... Cool.

I'm pretty sure that would be a bad idea, unless you are okay with ionized xenon flying at you and giving you high doses of radiation, in which case by all means, go right ahead!

I have tested the probe in its current state and found it can indeed get to Gilly. I am in orbit right now, as you will see here:

Gilly%2Blander%2Bin%2Borbit.png

And now I will try to land this thing. I will assure you that lots of pong will be played today.

Gilly%2Blander%2Blanded.png

That was much easier than I thought it would be. I thought we'd be bouncing around all day. Anyway, I'll be collecting all the science I can from here, and next I'll work on a new Gilly lander than can do more science than this little guy. Of course, it wont be as cute, but I'll make it work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.