KSP RAM Saver

in all honesty it shouldn't really be called "RAM saver" because i could do the exact same thing and just tell people to clean out their gamedata folder once every couple weeks.

but then again maybe people want everything "just in case" (like me) then i'd suggest the plugin that makes parts/plugins be toggable ingame. (idk what it's called)

but other than that i don't see why a "donate" button is suddenly going a bit too far. if you want to donate then donate, if not then don't.

i would like to say though that it's REALLY nice if the MOD/PLUGIN MAKER puts "donate if you want to but it's just a simple little thing i made which you can get by doing this argument into ksp" or something like that.

(the toolbar plugin guy does it too but he says he doesn't really need the money he just puts it there if people want to donate. (although his plugin is more handmade than copied from somewhere else))

also ATM. it may make your textures look like blurry pieces of lego but hey. i don't really care as long as they work!

Ok Guys really the objective of this is (as I've already said) to help people, some might not get how to make the shortcut, some are scared to do, some have no idea of this, whatever, this is just to help... You guys should really chill out, we all started somewhere, you could be more kind to others (thanks for the support of those who showed it), instead of trying to burn me in a bonfire, I just was trying to show other ways to others. About the donation button and the download, I'm not forcing anyone to download nor to donate, the donations were intended to be used to buy a copy of KSP (I have to use my brother's copy and I want one for myself, also to support SQUAD even more, I'm from Venezuela and my government doesn't allow me to use my money outside my country in the way I want :) ) the rest of what people would have donated would be certainly used to donate to other modders which move this community.

With that attitude of "Kill the n00b!" "We are gods what is this peasant trying to do? Let's destroy him" you only discourage young potential. And please stop saying "I can do that easily" or "I know how to do that", some people don't, if you guys are so capable I don't see why you haven't done this before... Just be a bit more humble, remember that you started somewhere and don't try to stomp on others. And for those who showed support and input, thanks for that, it was for people like you that this was made, to help you, to learn.

If you want me to delete this thread I will and you can have your perfect world again, and maybe close new member registration, so nobody can come again and disrupt your lives.

BTW Thanks for taking it down from Kerbal Stuff, the only ones affected are those who would have find use for this. :)

Hey, I understand that you probably only use a windows computer but as an observation the program can't even be converted to macOSX using wine. I know that the linux/mac players make up the minority but it would be nice for something to happen.

Cheers mate!

Hello, nope the program is only intended to run in windows (It says so in the readme), as far as I know KSP x64 runs well in MacOS and in Linux so this really has no use there

After being told that this "It's not worth anyone's time and it's certainly not welcome on Kerbal Stuff" and being called "an attention ....." and "a selfish ....." by sweet SirCmpwn, I've decided I'll keep this, the download will be provided via a mega link, hoping that It'll be useful (I think it was for the ~90 people that downloaded it when it was on Kerbal Stuff), and I'll keep trying to find ways to contribute to the community.

Out of what reason that doesn't involve anything personal?

I've got no idea, I don't even know him. When I asked why it was deleted, he answered really upset, (when I say really it is Really upset, like I've just killed his pet or something), I got answers in the fashion of "it's ridiculous", "and it's licensed like you think it's worth something","Do not pretend that this is a selfless endeavor" ,"It's not worth anyone's time and it's certainly not welcome on Kerbal Stuff" and the thingy of "attention whor*", also he complained "And then you had the gall to ask people for donations!" he complains about that and his site's terms say "Uploaders offer Kerbal Stuff a royalty-free, worldwide license to distribute their mods upon uploading them" nom "royalty-free" that word sound delicious, and why another mod repo when SQUAD selected curse for that?. Anyways I've nothing else to say in that matter, let's leave it that way.

Sometimes we find people who doesn't know human values like cordiality, patience or humbleness among others which make the world a better place for all .

But anyways, if he wants to delete it from his site, even though I didn't break the site's terms**, so be it, don't care, I can make it available by my own means.

**(In the terms you can find "We can remove any content whenever we feel like it for any reason at all, with or without notifying the content owner." so he can do it, for any reason, so don't upset him or your contributions will be gone :S Terms)

Edited by Dennis6492

I've got no idea, I don't even know him. When I asked why it was deleted, he answered really upset, (when I say really it is Really upset, like I've just killed his pet or something), I got answers in the fashion of "it's ridiculous", "and it's licensed like you think it's worth something","Do not pretend that this is a selfless endeavor" ,"It's not worth anyone's time and it's certainly not welcome on Kerbal Stuff" and the thingy of "attention whor*", also he complained "And then you had the gall to ask people for donations!" he complains about that and his site's terms say "Uploaders offer Kerbal Stuff a royalty-free, worldwide license to distribute their mods upon uploading them" nom "royalty-free" that word sound delicious, and why another mod repo when SQUAD selected curse for that?. Anyways I've nothing else to say in that matter, let's leave it that way.

Haha, wow. Damn shame I didn't bring my popcorn earlier.

Out of what reason that doesn't involve anything personal?

The provided "program" consists of one line which replaces a 13 letter one-time launch parameter. It's also most pathetic github repo I've seen so far, so it has that going for it - which is nice.

I don't get why there is so much hate directed at this. All Dennis is doing here is making a task easier to do.

But it's so simple anyone could do it!

And now it's even simpler, catering to a wider audience so more people can benefit from it.

But it has already been done!

So? I didn't know about it earlier and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Besides, if this had been released at the same time as the original discovery it would probably have been greeted with open arms.

But why should he get money for something so simple?!

Having a donate button and asking for money is NOT the same thing. If you feel like donating, then fine, go ahead. If not, how is the presence of a button in any way making your life worse? Granted, I didn't see the page but I'm fairly sure this was the case, as it mostly is.

The provided "program" consists of one line which replaces a 13 letter one-time launch parameter. It's also most pathetic github repo I've seen so far, so it has that going for it - which is nice.

So what? I've made tons of short programs for myself to make small tasks even smaller. This is doing that exact same thing, it's making a thing that much easier to do.

To summarize:

Don't do what you don't want to do.

Don't download what you don't want to download.

Don't make things harder than they need to be.

Edited by Floppster

So what? I've made tons of short programs for myself to make small tasks even smaller. This is doing that exact same thing, it's making a thing that much easier to do.

I struggle to understand the idea behind downloading a potentially malicious program to save one copy paste operation? Best case it is MORE work. Worst case is a compromised computer.

Edited by jfx

I struggle to understand the idea behind downloading a potentially malicious program to save one copy paste operation? Best case it is MORE work. Worst case is a compromised computer.

Then maybe we go about doing things in different ways. And potentially malicious? As you said, it consists of one line which replaces a 13 letter one-time launch parameter. This got stated pretty early on in the thread so there's not really any potential left.

Anyway, from my perspective, this is as easy and quick as it gets:

1: Find out about the OpenGL thing.

2: DL .exe.

3: Place in KSP folder or whatever.

4: Doubleclick.

As compared to the following:

1: Find out about the OpenGL thing.

2: Read all the hate and go to the "real"thread.

3: Copy the parameters.

4: Go to KSP folder, open up start parameters.

5: Paste.

Edited by Floppster

None ... in the source. The Binary - who knows.

Paranoia everywhere hahahahaha, it's clean buddy I swear, run on it all the antivirus you want, or check the instruction it issues at runtime.

I think my alleged maliciousness lies in trying to make this mainstream O.o

I don't get why there is so much hate directed at this. All Dennis is doing here is making a task easier to do.

And now it's even simpler, catering to a wider audience so more people can benefit from it.

So? I didn't know about it earlier and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Besides, if this had been released at the same time as the original discovery it would probably have been greeted with open arms.

Having a donate button and asking for money is NOT the same thing. If you feel like donating, then fine, go ahead. If not, how is the presence of a button in any way making your life worse? Granted, I didn't see the page but I'm fairly sure this was the case, as it mostly is.

To summarize:

Don't do what you don't want to do.

Don't download what you don't want to download.

Don't make things harder than they need to be.

You sir deserve a medal *clap clap* that is being objective, and about the donation button, it was on kerbal stuff, and as I said was intended to get my own copy of KSP eventually check the post here --->(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98358-KSP-RAM-Saver?p=1508074&viewfull=1#post1508074) BTW glad it worked for you :)

None ... in the source. The Binary - who knows.

I decompiled it for you:

#include <stdint.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

/* -------- Function Prototypes --------- */

void ___chkstk(void);

/* ------------- Functions -------------- */

int main(int argc, char ** argv) {
// 0x401290
___chkstk();
return system("KSP.exe -force-opengl");
}

void ___chkstk(void) {
// 0x401710
return;
}

Of course does it look strange, it's never completely accurate, but there's surely nothing bad in it.

Edited by slumpie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.