Will I lose my progress when upgrading to paid version?

serolrom

Hi.

I have just downloaded the demo version, just to check it briefly. I don't need much more to get the paid version, but I will probably do it on Monday for convenience.In the mean time I'd like to know if whatever stuff I do/create/achieve will be lost if I upgrade to the paid version. In that case I'd go ahead and buy it today, but only if necessary.

See you up there.

Hi.

I have just downloaded the demo version, just to check it briefly. I don't need much more to get the paid version, but I will probably do it on Monday for convenience.In the mean time I'd like to know if whatever stuff I do/create/achieve will be lost if I upgrade to the paid version. In that case I'd go ahead and buy it today, but only if necessary.

See you up there.

Well, deal with the demo is that there is only a sandbox mode, with only the Kerbin system, and only a handful of parts. There's not really much you could lose: I suppose if you built a giant Mun colony in the demo, you'd lose that, but otherwise, all you would lose are a handful of rocket designs which you'd probably replace anyways with much greater part selection.

The demo doesn't allow mods, so I think you might have a chance at continuing. There were some save file format changes in about 0.21 or so, but the game might still be able to convert them. Give it a go.

If you're on windows, and have a KSP shortcut on the desktop, right click and choose 'open file location'. Go into those files until you find, "saves", then, copy the folder of the save you want to keep. Put this in the equivalent place in the full version's folders, after you've downloaded it.

Some of your craft may not look, or work quite right, some landed things might explode due to terrain changes, but others should be fine.

Wait, what progress are we talking about losing? I thought the demo was all sandbox (since it's 0.18), so there's no tech progress, funds, contracts, etc to carry over.

You probably could import saves from the demo, but really, why bother. If you're playing sandbox only, you're missing about half the game. Just start a new easy-mode career or science save when get the full game.

Wait, what progress are we talking about losing? I thought the demo was all sandbox (since it's 0.18), so there's no tech progress, funds, contracts, etc to carry over.

You probably could import saves from the demo, but really, why bother. If you're playing sandbox only, you're missing about half the game. Just start a new easy-mode career or science save when get the full game.

You can probably use your ships that you have created in 0.25 Sandbox. I have done so in 0.23. Doubtful about a full save. But, given the improved performance and large number of additional parts, just start your space program over in the paid version. You won't have a limit to the number of flights active or be restricted to flying to one moon.

Once more I find myself echoing the general consensus - there is so much more in the full version and so many changes have been made since the (0.18) demo version that you will want to start again anyway. To put it another way, while the demo will give you a taste of what you can do, it won't be the way you want to do it in the full version.

That said, the manoeuvre techniques and rocket science you can try in demo are the same :-) Take the experience you gain with you into the full version, leave the ships behind.

Once more I find myself echoing the general consensus - there is so much more in the full version and so many changes have been made since the (0.18) demo version that you will want to start again anyway. To put it another way, while the demo will give you a taste of what you can do, it won't be the way you want to do it in the full version.

That said, the manoeuvre techniques and rocket science you can try in demo are the same :-) Take the experience you gain with you into the full version, leave the ships behind.

Finally this has pretty much been the short version of what I did.

Made a couple of flights, messed a bit creating ships, bought the full version. Be careful, guys, there's now yet another danger-in-a-rocket nearby. Watch your six :)

Another good thing about all your comments is that they might be useful for someone else like me.

Jeez, you (OP) scared me for a moment. I thought this was another one of those should-I-or-shouldn't-I-convert-from-Pirated-KSP thread, and those never end well.

Nah, nothing worth much, in my opinion. :D You have much more fun in the full version, even in Sandbox mode, because of the enhanced freedom of more parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.