BeachBall of Death

Which information should your support request have?

• KSP version:

Kerbal Space Program - 0.25.0.642 (OSXPlayer)

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4)

RAM: 16384

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 OpenGL Engine (579MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 INTEL-8.24.16])

RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

• A detailed explanation of what happened and what you were trying to accomplish

Basic thing that is common is if I go full screen and play, some times it will freeze the screen and lock up KSP. I can Command-Tab over to the other screen and force quit.

All the while my system can be doing other things and the max temp i have noticed was 195F I think. But again, everything else is running, but KSP is locked up.

In this last go I was trying to do the RT10 booster / splashdown test. But it has locked up on other flights as well.

Simply making Squad aware of an issue i'm seeing.

• A screenshot of your craft or any relevant screens

Sorry, Full screen KSP locks up and the cursor turns to the Spinning Beachball of death.

• A .craft file or save files if relevant

I don't think a save file will help, but I can upload one if that is needed.

• The ouput_log.txt or player.log file KSP creates when it launches and, if applicable, the crash log KSP has generated when the program crashed

KSP.LOG: http://pastebin.com/WHMpDKL0

Player.log: http://pastebin.com/huS7XENL

• A detailed list of system specifications: At the top of post.

Thank you.

There's nothing in the log that indicates a hang. I've had intermittent hangs with KSP recently, but most of them resolve within ~10s – how long did you let it run?

The most common cause is running out of RAM, so try reducing texture quality in the Graphics settings or installing Active Texture Managment.

I'll give it another go.. I don't know how long I left it. maybe 30 seconds.. Maybe more or less. But when I get into the Force Quit box, it shows "not responding"

I'll search out Active Texture management. I already tried turning off a few of the graphics settings.

Try running KSP with the lowest of the low graphics settings. You only have a integrated HD 300 GPU which, lets face it, isn't very powerful. If your running a Sandy or Ivy bridge, than it might be better, but I have not looked at your CPU model yet. And the highest temperature you have had is 195F? That is not right. If your temperature is that high, your problem is overheating. The components in your laptop cannot run at their full speeds when under heat like that, and I'm surprised that the laptop is still ON and actually FUNCTIONING at that sort of heat.

Hope this helps,

ToTheMun

I don't think its the RAM or Graphics, I have an iMac with a 3.4 GHz i5 (QC), 16 GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M with 4096 MB, and I get these freezes a lot. Using Yosemite 10.10.

Happens anywhere. Recently happening a lot when building rockets; also when parachuting to a landing. Sometimes I get a kernel process spun off taking all the CPU, sometimes just the "SBBoD". Only ever happens when KSP is up. Making it hard to play as I rarely get more than a couple of hours without it happening. Used to happen in 24.2, but much more frequent in 25. There is something in KSP doing this, not sure what but it would be great to have it fixed.

I have a mac Mini.. and yes I know the integrated video is not great. But I have SMC Fan control running and I get the same temp's playing minecraft with No issues. While I understand its easy to say temp, My computer is functional in every other way. I'll turn the graphics down.. But keep in mind.. This only happens when I go full screen. IF I take up the full screen in a window, it does not lock up.. that sounds like a programatic problem to me.

But keep in mind.. This only happens when I go full screen. IF I take up the full screen in a window, it does not lock up.. that sounds like a programatic problem to me.

Yes, I would agree, however, it is very much more likely to be a Unity player issue than a KSP one. Hopefully 0.90 will use an updated version of Unity and this will fix lots of the Unity related issues...

Note: I'm not saying that issues like this shouldn't be reported, on the contrary, they should be, both so that others with similar problems can see they are not alone, and so there is a record of the issue that can be referred to when an update is released...

I've had this a lot as well and have found it worst when:-

- in atmosphere

- when ground is in shot

If I keep the view below the craft looking up in to space I can generally avoid the beach ball.

My problem exactly. Landing on a planet sometimes takes four or five restarts to get through without a crash. If I can keep the planet out of view it won't crash but as soon as the surface slide into the screen, bam! spinning beach ball.

I'm using a radeon 280x and have 28GB's of RAM. Even at the lowest texture settings the crash happens a lot. At high graphics textures it happens instantly.

Still crashes...

Make sure you hit the send report button on the crash report.

Other software developers have made a point of how useful this information is for them so I assume there is no reason Squad wouldn't get the reports.

To follow back around.. I lowered my graphic settings to min.....and I have not yet crashed again...

so, at least its somewhere in the graphics system.. perhaps?

I've had the exact same problem as you, on a rMBP 15in mid 2012 with a 650m - Upon my upgrade to Yosemite, I get the beach ball. It worked fine on very high settings and high resolution right before the upgrade.

If I delete the settings file, and boot it up - it boots in a windowed 800x600 or so. If I go to change resolution settings and hit apply - the screen begins flickering and any number of bad things, and the game locks up.

I also notice that the available resolutions do NOT match the options that were available before...so maybe thats part of it.

Logs will be incoming in a few after another test...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.