KOSMOS 3/14/2015 RD-170 Family Released!

Holy. Sheet. That was beautiful, without a doubt the most detailed part I've ever seen in KSP.

Why thank you. That is what happens when you plan an engine for like 3 years.

In other news. I've decided that Zenit and proton rockets (scaling to 2.5m as URM-1) are rounded to 3.25m. URM-2 (Angara 2nd stage) would be 3m in this scale. So Just going to jump to 3.25m instead and call it all URM-2. The visual difference is very slight. Any issue with this? Of course! RD-172 and RD-175 looks slightly too small for that now.

Luckily (because of the way the engines are made) with minimal changes and UV stretching I should be able to push the nozzles outward to make them fit 3.25 like they where made to fit 3m stages. EDIT: Already finished. It took less than an hour lol.

That said UR-700 looked to use 4.1m stages which scale close to 3.5 Meter based off 2.5 meter. So I think I'll just round up to 3.75 meter to meet stocks 3.75 meter stages and because atop angara KVTK would be that size.

I wish that KSP fuels followed LOX and RP-1 volumes and ratios.

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

I wish that KSP fuels followed LOX and RP-1 volumes and ratios.

If I were you, I would design the tanks (visually) to fit those ratios regardless so that when innevitably, a RealFuels config comes around (which I love to play with) it will look like it actually fits that 2.56:1 LOX:RP1 ratio :D

Well everything I do is based off KSP fuels look wise. I prefer to keep stock like fuel ratios for now. Unless no one cares in which case I could do RP-1 LOX.

What does the community thing? real ratios or same as URM-1 ratios (stock)

IMO, the fuel ratio of the engines should be 0.9:1.1 as it is in stock, but I wouldn't mind if the tanks looked like they had another ratio.

I'd use the stock behaviour. If you pimp it, the stuff becomes cheating.

Plan on sticking with the Stock even if they change ratios. The main issue is physically speaking the fuels only take up 15% the volume the tank needs proves per unit. As if there was not the extra rom it would compress and explode or something haha.

Also, been dwelling on the RD-270. Since it was a very old engine i'd imagine a good bit of it would be changes visually in an overhaul (much like F-1 to F-1B). So i would probably follow this example and make it alittle more visually stimulating.

Currently just need to update the RD-8SS to the new gimbal system before next release. I am being lazy aobut that though. Not touched the model in over a year.

RD-170 family is Complete and flying. Donate now to get early Release.

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

I believe the tanks in stock fit pretty well with the amount of fuel in them. The "fact" that only 15 % of tanks are fuelled stems from the misconseption that the units are in liters, which they most likely are not.

say... the balka panel sun tracking doesn't seem to be working properly, it's not giving hardly any range of motion... it actually seems to be going paralell to the direction towards the sun, rather than facing the panels to the sun

ZAiV1uQ.png

edit: seems to have fixed itself after a restart

Edited by Commissar

say... i've had the balka panels break randomly whilst folded... twice... there's noting that should have broken them, but it's just out of the blue...

http://www.twitch.tv/commissar0617/c/5794231

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx5t6w3yodbfnbk/output_log.txt?dl=0

(ignore the out of memory)

Edited by Commissar

Well those are completely stock so nothing I can do about it. Realy all that cna be done is to make a plugin for our own solar panels and I am not exactly talented at that. Sort of the reason I stick to engines and tanks :/

i wasn't aware of that... methinks it's a stock bug then? cause solar panels should not spontaneously bork... in fact, it's gotta be something with the .90 update, as they didn't have problems previously. i could maybe do it, but i wouldn't know where to start...

For URM1 does anyone use the different LOX and re-pressure lines? Or do you generally just use what comes with the tank?

Generally speaking I use the big lines with big engines, while I switch to the thin ones with upper stages.

For URM1 does anyone use the different LOX and re-pressure lines? Or do you generally just use what comes with the tank?

Same as Sage - I use the smaller lines for the RD-0146 upper stages.

So then i'll develop several different options for each. So Far there is Angara/AtlasV style external Ox pipe. Internal central (like Zenit and Falcon 9) This determines the top and bottoms for each stage as they have unique needs. Other than that theat leaves optiosn for covers and uncovered pre pressure lines and the wiring harness.

For URm 2 and 3 i don;t intend to have the options for Tussed interstages as that will more be for upper stage tank packages. Should I vouid the need for upper stage style locks lines then as well?

Tried to use this mod, ive installed all the required mods, and the mod itself properly and it still says im missing parts

more specificity

mechjebkso

hc.launchcam

iss canadarm2

Any help?

did you install both the KOSMOS mods? might try that first

Tried to use this mod, ive installed all the required mods, and the mod itself properly and it still says im missing parts

more specificity

mechjebkso

hc.launchcam

iss canadarm2

Any help?

All the parts that you list are from non-KOSMOS mods, namely KSO, HullCam and the ISS Community Project (and probably Lazor's Robot Arm), not sure what this would have to do with KOSMOS? Are you trying to load a specific craft file from some mod?