KOSMOS 3/14/2015 RD-170 Family Released!

gosh I guess the donators have had enough time to mess with the NTRs. Hope to release them this weekend unless more donators arise :)

Oh, don't worry, it's nice to get a pre-relase for that, but you shouldn't delay too much the official relase for us ;)

That looks great, I'll try it out. :) BTW, are you going to start working on 2.5m tanks now? I'd also love to see the RD-210 someday, maybe with optional RD-214 verniers (as found on the Proton 3rd stage). You could make it a high thrust 1.25m 3rd stage engine, for when RD-0146 just won't do. It would be 1.25m without verniers and 2.5m (or even 3.75m, those things are quite spaced out) with them.

BTW, why are you still using TGA? This is a very bad idea in 0.25, they're very, very bugged. Not only do they hog twice as much memory as they should, they have a chance of not loading at all (it's rare, but it happens). MBM is a much better format (indeed, the only one that isn't bugged, since PNG mipmaps don't work).

.mbms are seriously degraded in quality and very splotchy after exportr. if i could open them in Photoshop and drop my texture in unaltered I'd be all for it.

As for RD-210 we once had one of those actually and it was pretty close to the real deal. Probably go back to it eventually now that I know a good bit more about engines. RD-275 is needing to be made more like the real thing as well. It is currently inaccurate in look and role I think. As you can see the RD-210 looks very similar to the current RD-275.

They are all engines that I like the pluming on and will need for their specific roles but after the RD-170 Family i will be most burnt out :) SO I'll be going on leave.

RD-210.png

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

Shame about the burnout. I can't wait to see the RD-170 family released. Also, I hope you'll soon find the strength to make more tank sizes. :) They should be easier than engines, and it would be really great to have more tanks that look this good. RD-170 is one thing, but it'd look best mated with an appropriately sized KOSMOS tank (preferably 3.75m, Zenit-style).

BTW, the upcoming Shuttle-style parts kind of make me wish there was a 5m KOSMOS-style Energia. That would require the RD-120 and 5m tanks, so it's likely not high up your priorities list, but one can dream...

Edited by Guest

Honestly, now I mostly want RD-170 and derivatives, plus some tanks to go with them. :) The former is already in-game, as you mentioned, and the latter should be much less work than engines. It just doesn't seem right to stick KOSMOS engines on ugly stock tanks (KW ones might be passable, for making the Atlas V). Energia is just a dream, as I said (0.90 isn't even out yet, though it'll be in a few days).

BTW, what are the sizes of those engines? I recall an old plan in which the Angara was 2.5m, Zenit/Proton 3.75m and Energia core 5m. That would make for a very odd-looking Energia, now that I think of it. On the other hand, making Zenit 2.5m would mean RD-191 would be 1.25m, and the current tanks don't resemble Angara... What are the current plans to make this all work together?

Yes you want everything. but it takes months for me to make a single thing. So. you will have to be patient lol.

lol. I kind of understand that, I happen to be working 3d industry. Movie, not gaming. There is always someone that have a briliant short move scenario, they always think it could be "simple" and "easy". No offence Dragon1, I can be that guy too. Talking about something "simple" and "easy", I would be realy pleased if, instand of new model, you could add to your universal fuel tank diameter option. "Just" that would be awesome already. Sorry...

I think I will go beg r4m0n to take a look at mechJeb compatibility with you vernier engine, they are just too awesome to be left without it.

Edit:

Damn, I almost forgot, do you plan to have a Liquid Fuel variant of your universal fuel tank?

Edited by RedParadize

Well, compared to making engines like this, everything is easy. :) It's certainly much less complex, tanks are mostly cylindrical (though KOSMOS go way beyond "simple"), with most of the detail coming from textures. No bizzare piping, no turbopumps, no animations...

I'm not sure if rescaling the existing tanks would work for RD-170 derivatives. KOSMOS tanks do include some piping that should generally match up with the engine below. So far this is the case, but if the new engines have different pipe arrangements, this could get complicated.

I also love the configurable tanks, was the plugin done just for KOSMOS? I've not seen any of it before :o
It seems that it was developed specifically for KOSMOS. Doesn't mean others can't use it. :)

MOARdv created the URMP plugin to handle the URM tanks after looking at the original MODEL{} node approach, it's great.

The parameters for the plugin are also very well documented on MOARdv's github page

While it's covered via CC-A-SA 4.0 I, a polite request directly to MOARdv about using it would probably get you far

doing Texture work on the RD-170 family and NMB is getting those nubmers straight. So far the RD-170 family is looking very nice and accurate.

Been dwelling on if we should allow full throttle from 0% to 100%. or make something to restrict them. The real deals have OFF, 70% to 100%. This would make using the full throttlable upper stage engines more useful.

In othernews Kerbla Curse keeps denying my mods so I think we will just be pulling support for Curse. SSPP they say it needs a better desciption evne though it has a huge parts pack desciption and URm is is saying "invalid archive". So whatever lol .

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

doing Texture work on the RD-170 family and NMB is getting those nubmers straight. So far the RD-170 family is looking very nice and accurate.

Been dwelling on if we should allow full throttle from 0% to 100%. or make something to restrict them. The real deals have OFF, 70% to 100%. This would make using the full throttlable upper stage engines more useful.

In othernews Kerbla Curse keeps denying my mods so I think we will just be pulling support for Curse. SSPP they say it needs a better desciption evne though it has a huge parts pack desciption and URm is is saying "invalid archive". So whatever lol .

The description you uploaded initially was: "The Space Station Parts Pack contains everything needed to construct big, beautiful space stations." , You were sent a message requesting you add more information.

You added: "The Space Station Parts Pack contains everything needed to construct big, beautiful space stations. The pack includes the Kosmos VA capsule and TKS functional cargo block, a rugged and reliable vehicle for orbital operations, trusted by Kerbalnauts everywhere. Also included are the Salyut series of space station modules, which are split into customizable segments to build any station configuration. Using Kosmos parts, you can control your station without manning it by using the Pravilo computer system, or dock to it using the androgynous APAS-69 or KCBS docking rings. "

Neither description really elaborates on what the pack does. However the second one was better and was approved.

The "invalid archive" issue is a different matter. Just to check I downloaded the files, and I can only unzip them with 7zip. All other archive programs fail to find the central directory. Which does make it an invalid archive.

Messaging the admins for clarification or help will probably get you assistance faster than posting on the forums. We are always around and always happy to help, but we do need people to let us know there is an issue. We are not psychic :(

The "invalid archive" issue is a different matter. Just to check I downloaded the files, and I can only unzip them with 7zip. All other archive programs fail to find the central directory. Which does make it an invalid archive.

That's weird, I built it using the windows file manager built in zip functionality specifically to avoid that

What should the archive parameters be to avoid this issue in the future?

That's weird, I built it using the windows file manager built in zip functionality specifically to avoid that

What should the archive parameters be to avoid this issue in the future?

That is odd. Before I say for certain its the way its archived, do you have a link where I could download the file you uploaded? Then I can see if its the original file, or if something got borked in transmission.