Ideal Mod Choices?

WhiteWeasel

Now that I'm burned out of Space engineers I have room to cycle in KSP again, and well I want to fire up a new save. And pure stock alike has had it's run. What mods should pick? I'm looking at 10-12 mods at most. I don't want super huge mods like B9 or KSPI. And would prefer UI mods. So far I have a few mods that I'm interested in. Also how taxing are mods like Environmental Visual Enhancements? Would these be good mods to start career mode in?

UI/utility mods I'm looking at:

-Editor-Extensions

-Docking-Port-Alignment-Indicator

-RasterPropMonitor

-KAS

-Mechjeb

Physics mods:

-NEAR, Maybe?

-Does alternis kerbol still work (or other mods like it?)

Part mods:

-Universal-Storage

-Service-Compartment-Tubes

-Stockalike-Station-Parts-Expansion

-CactEye-Orbital-Telescope

-Taurus-HCV-3-75-m-Stock-ish-Crew-Pod

Edited by WhiteWeasel

NEAR is much, much harder than FAR with reentry.

As for how to use them:

For FAR/NEAR, design planes that look like planes, and rockets that look like rockets. Don't overspeed (use sane TWRs) and don't deviate much from the prograde indicator (high AoA or sideslip is bad)

For DRE, enter at a shallow-ish angle, so maybe a periapsis of 30km?

For TACLS, bring enough life support.

NEAR is much, much harder than FAR with reentry.

As for how to use them:

For FAR/NEAR, design planes that look like planes, and rockets that look like rockets. Don't overspeed (use sane TWRs) and don't deviate much from the prograde indicator (high AoA or sideslip is bad)

For DRE, enter at a shallow-ish angle, so maybe a periapsis of 30km?

For TACLS, bring enough life support.

Planes that look like planes and rockets that look like rockets. Elaborate.

NEAR is a stripped down version of FAR, how is it harder with DRE? Also the OP says it does not support KSP .25.

As for life support just slap on as many as you can? Is there a way to plot out how much you need for X kerbals for Y duration?

NEAR is *simplified* FAR. Simple does not always mean easier. When simple is "removed mach effects" that makes reentry (where mach effects make reentry easier, by giving lots of drag early on) quite a bit harder. From UmbralRaptor's signature, ferram4 on NEAR:

The benevolent answer is that people constantly say "I want something better than stock, but easier than FAR" and so I gave them an extra data point. The malevolent answer is that I gave people exactly what they asked for, and it still has the same difficulty bump as FAR. The interesting answer is that it's a social experiment to see how people react to something that is harder, but that they think is easier.

By that I mean "if you're building a high-performance jet, make it look like real high-performance jets" and "if you're building a rocket, make it look like a real rocket, i.e. faired payload, aerodynamic needle shape, possibly with fins at the base, low initial TWR."

Wait, the OP of which thread says it doesn't support 0.25? FAR, NEAR, DRE, and TACLS all support .25.

For TACLS, there's a GUI visible in the VAB/SPH that will tell you how long your life support supplies will last with current occupancy and with maximum possible occupancy.

If you're using blizzy's toolbar, you'll need to click the downarrow to configure the toolbar and add the TACLS button. If you're not, not sure where the button is.

:rolleyes: NVM, I though it was it's own life support mod, that was compatible balanced based of of tac, but it actually runs in tandem with it.

Now that I'm burned out of Space engineers I have room to cycle in KSP again, and well I want to fire up a new save. And pure stock alike has had it's run. What mods should pick? I'm looking at 10-12 mods at most. I don't want super huge mods like B9 or KSPI. And would prefer UI mods. So far I have a few mods that I'm interested in. Also how taxing are mods like Environmental Visual Enhancements? Would these be good mods to start career mode in?

UI/utility mods I'm looking at:

-Editor-Extensions

-Docking-Port-Alignment-Indicator

-RasterPropMonitor

-KAS

-Mechjeb

Physics mods:

-NEAR, Maybe?

-Does alternis kerbol still work (or other mods like it?)

Part mods:

-Universal-Storage

-Service-Compartment-Tubes

-Stockalike-Station-Parts-Expansion

-CactEye-Orbital-Telescope

-Taurus-HCV-3-75-m-Stock-ish-Crew-Pod

It's a good list already, but I'd add a couple.

Fine Print. Absolutely essential for a good career game; it massively expands the depth and variety of the contracts system. Due to be integrated into stock in the next update.

Kerbal Construction Time. Not quite as essential as Fine Print, but close. It makes both construction and research take time; no more pumping out twenty rockets in a day. If you want to hit that launch window, you'd better start building your launcher a month in advance and cross your fingers against launch failures (or build a back-up launcher as well, or use the "simulation mode" to test it out before the real launch...).

Scansat. Orbital radar mapping and anomaly hunting. Lots of fun, and combines exceptionally well with RPM. Send up a mapping probe in advance to scout out good landing sites while you build your Munlander.

--

Agreed with Nathan on NEAR/FAR, BTW. The one legitimately difficult thing about FAR was the hair-triggered aerodynamic failures. With the new tweakable wing strength, that's no longer an issue.

So far here is what I have gone with:

KAS

KW rocketry (stripped out everything but the fairings)

Joolian discovery (Stripped out everything but the cool cockpit it had)

Mechjeb

TAC lifesupport

NEAR

DRE

Universal storage + TAC and KAS add-ons

Near future Solar and Space craft

Cacteye Orbital Telescopes

Kerbal alarm Clock

Raster Propmonitor

DMagic Orbital science

Editor extensions

Nav Hud

Station parts expansion

Taurus HCV

Texture Replacer

Universe Replacer

Transfer Window planner

Trajectories Calculator

Though I think I will drop scansat onto that list. So far I have been liking my modded career mode. Universal storage is one of my favorites.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.