[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

I gotta say it. This part of the movie always messes with me.

It was supposed to be an epic tale of humanity's first-ever voyage beyond the solar system.

Instead it turns out we already sent out 9 whole people, and the Endurance is just checking out who survived?

It was never supposed to be the first trip ever :P

Anyway it was the first trip that hoped to come back to earth (the lazarus missions were a one way trip)

Oh I get it now.

So Dr. Was supposed to be the first man to travel to gargantua with KIPP.

Dr. Mann's mission was to check out the ice planet, Dr. Miller's was to check out the water planet close to Gargantua, and Dr. Edmunds' was to check out the third earthlike planet near Gargantua.

Edited by billbobjebkirk

Got a chance to work on the ranger tonight. The external textures are passable, I have all of the parts exported and ready for unity, except for the VTOL (and docking port--still deciding whether or not to make a custom one right now), which will be done when I get the rest of the vehicle into KSP and figure out where the CoM is. Should be pretty quick from here. All the parts use the same texture, I'm aiming for a greatly reduced memory footprint. Plus control surface.

I have a regretably small amount of time as of late, but I'm hoping for a Thursday release.

Edited by Shryq

Got a chance to work on the ranger tonight. The external textures are passable, I have all of the parts exported and ready for unity, except for the VTOL (and docking port--still deciding whether or not to make a custom one right now), which will be done when I get the rest of the vehicle into KSP and figure out where the CoM is. Should be pretty quick from here. All the parts use the same texture, I'm aiming for a greatly reduced memory footprint. Plus control surface.

I have a regretably small amount of time as of late, but I'm hoping for a Thursday release.

So the rangers main engine will finally have another mode to toggle?

Hello!

This is my first time posting, and I'd just like to say - AMAZING MOD!

Interstellar is definitely my favorite film, and I am happy to say this was the first mod I installed on my new PC.

next to that I have FAR, TAC LS, KAS, USI, RPM, etc...

I have some experience with modding the game, but I don't have a clue how the FAR configs work, and as such, I can't fly the ranger with FAR enabled ;.; (the lander flies fine though - I think it's because its mostly one part)

(I made a temporary fix for the ranger by adding "ranger" to the "greeble" column in the FAR settings, but now it doesn't fly, it just falls with style)

the "advantage" of having the ranger set to greeble is that I can perform that cool landing that they did on the water planet, (except I didn't "use the ranger's aerodynamics to save fuel" :D)

so IDEALLY, somebody could make some custom FAR configs that keep the ranger's maneuverability but make it more stable, rather than flipping out!

Thanks,

Lateasusual_

That's interesting, turns out the ranger carries the Lazarus pods.

Seems whether in space or in the atmosphere the Ranger uses VASMIR engines, it just utilizes oxygen when inside the atmosphere rather than it's fuel. Perhaps rather than make an engine toggle you could just allow it to be more efficient in the atmosphere (not sure if that would be harder or easier).

That's interesting, turns out the ranger carries the Lazarus pods.

Seems whether in space or in the atmosphere the Ranger uses VASMIR engines, it just utilizes oxygen when inside the atmosphere rather than it's fuel. Perhaps rather than make an engine toggle you could just allow it to be more efficient in the atmosphere (not sure if that would be harder or easier).

Actually, from what it says on that site, its more like a hybrid of an aerospike and a VASMIR or any other sort of plasma thruster. The chemical stage can use atmospheric oxygen for combustion.

In order to power the plasma engine stage, the Ranger would need a very compact power source though. Probably fusion, since that's what also powers the Endurance.

Its actually kinda sad if you think about it, a bunch of world changing technologies like fusion reactors and AI are developed just as the Earth becomes unable to support us and humanity turns away from technology.

Edited by jfull

Do you think maybe you could include some super efficient parts for the Indian Surveillance Drone? I was thinking some solar wings, an Intake body+battery, a probe core+battery, an electric ducted fan engine, and various winglets and control surfaces. Just enough to allow it to fly at high altitude all day and night.

Edited by billbobjebkirk

Do you think maybe you could include some super efficient parts for the Indian Surveillance Drone? I was thinking some solar wings, an Intake body+battery, a probe core+battery, an electric ducted fan engine, and various winglets and control surfaces. Just enough to allow it to fly at high altitude all day and night.

I really like that idea. I'm thinking about it.

Something I'd like to see is aerodynamic lift for the small Ranger. The Ranger is a lifting body, and I've been simply dying to fly around in the atmosphere with it.

It has lift. Are you talking about with FAR? Cuz yeah that doesn't work yet.

Maybe I didn't understand the issue. What was the problem you were having?

I never did have a problem in the first place. I just made the request that the Ranger would produce lift the way a lifting body does. However, you corrected me by saying it already does produce lift, which meant that I simply hadn't noticed it. Then I thanked you letting me know.

Hey guys! Are you guys going to make a Ranger decoupler? I was just wondering because I can see that people will start complaining about the Ranger not being launched from the Launchpad like it was in Interstellar. Are those in the plans? Thanks!

Hey guys! Are you guys going to make a Ranger decoupler? I was just wondering because I can see that people will start complaining about the Ranger not being launched from the Launchpad like it was in Interstellar. Are those in the plans? Thanks!

In the current version of ksp u can rotate a regular decoupler

We need support for deadly reentry. Freaking rangers exploding with jebediah Kerman dying.

Just up the max temp values in the cfg. IRL is killing me right now D: I'd love to be able to do more, but... yah know.

Yes.

Hi there, I used to play KSP all the time but I have forgotten most of what I learned, and I have only recently got back into it. For some reason, when I download this mod, only the Ranger parts show up in my VAB and hangar. What is the correct and proper way to move the files into my KSP folders so that I may use the Endurance and Landers as well? I use a mac if that changes anything.

Thanks, I absolutely love using the Ranger and Interstellar was easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Also, another question, is there a hot-key enabled to toggle the lift engine? It seems a bit hard for me to right click and disengage engines one by one, especially when trying to land somewhere...it leads to very bad things :( RIP kerbals :'(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.