[0.90] Regolith - an open ISRU and Resource framework [0.1.7 - 2015.02.26]

RoverDude

Hey guys! I just got bounced here from the great folks at karbonite for help with my idea of Kalladium, a virtually useless material that, because of its inherent shininess, is super valuable. The idea hinges around whether or not I can make this, and I have no idea where to start looking for help on adding a new resource! So I ask you guys if you have any tutorials on how to add a resource to this mod! For starters, where to literally start would be great, but if you know of a better thread for me to pester/bother/seek advice from, then I'll hitchhike over there

I some questions about planet resource distribution. If SCANSAT shows that a spot has 1% water, what does that mean in terms of how many units of water can be expected there?

And how large (area) are resource deposits? If I take everything from one spot, how far away is the next potential deposit?

Edited by Czerky

Hi Rover!

Two questions for you today:

1) What is the smallest amount the module REGO_ModuleResourceConverter can handle? Say: will 0.0000000804863 be treated as is or as 0.00000008 or 0.0000001 or with even lower precision?

2) Is there a switch to have the converter run at 100% or not at all instead of adapting to the actual needs while still respecting the no-overflow flag?

Bonus question you don't have to answer: I hope you already have a good plan for proper (really unfocused, no 'catching up') on-rails conversion for stock-resources?

The backgroundprocessing mod from jamespiscone can probably do it, but with your hands in the stock code this is a one-time opportunity to do it efficiently without workarounds! And it's such an important part of the game...

Hey guys! I just got bounced here from the great folks at karbonite for help with my idea of Kalladium, a virtually useless material that, because of its inherent shininess, is super valuable. The idea hinges around whether or not I can make this, and I have no idea where to start looking for help on adding a new resource! So I ask you guys if you have any tutorials on how to add a resource to this mod! For starters, where to literally start would be great, but if you know of a better thread for me to pester/bother/seek advice from, then I'll hitchhike over there

Pretty easy actually. Probably the easiest thing to do is to look at the CRP and Karbonite parts as examples as the entire thing is config based, so you should already be comfy with editing configs and know what a part module is :) Beyond that, this is the right thread to ask specific questions.

I some questions about planet resource distribution. If SCANSAT shows that a spot has 1% water, what does that mean in terms of how many units of water can be expected there?

And how large (area) are resource deposits? If I take everything from one spot, how far away is the next potential deposit?

Regolith is pretty different from Kethane in that regard. By default, deposites are non-depletable. they can be configured for depletion (but this depletion is more a gradual reduction in abundance), but I am not aware of any mods lighting up this feature yet. That probably also answers most of your second question, though if you do turn on depletion, it is very localized (generally your next spot will be within a few KM, based on what planet/moon you are on).

Hi Rover!

Two questions for you today:

1) What is the smallest amount the module REGO_ModuleResourceConverter can handle? Say: will 0.0000000804863 be treated as is or as 0.00000008 or 0.0000001 or with even lower precision?

2) Is there a switch to have the converter run at 100% or not at all instead of adapting to the actual needs while still respecting the no-overflow flag?

Bonus question you don't have to answer: I hope you already have a good plan for proper (really unfocused, no 'catching up') on-rails conversion for stock-resources?

The backgroundprocessing mod from jamespiscone can probably do it, but with your hands in the stock code this is a one-time opportunity to do it efficiently without workarounds! And it's such an important part of the game...

1. Unsure, but take a look at some of the numbers for nuclear reactors :P The limitation is floating point math.

2. Nope, not an option. What's the use case?

1. Unsure, but take a look at some of the numbers for nuclear reactors :P The limitation is floating point math.

If we are talking double all is good. So you figured out a way around the limitations we had with USI_Conv and friends some months ago - nice!

2. Nope, not an option. What's the use case?

Not too important, will simply use overflow which makes more sense anyway.

Alright, I have it and am having some issues with the excavator, namely everything attached to it is disappearing on loading into it after switching to the space center. I see it's now part of the AMT mod, but that one doesn't have a forum thread does it?

Hi, how is everyone?

I've got a modded KSP install and i'm trying to get resources in regolith & scansat except nomatter what i do it always comes up with 0.0%...

So, i've stripped it back to just water on kerban and still 0.0%

I found a PDF for regolith API that doesn't seem to explain the configs properly (maybe its an old copy?)

I'd be delighted if someone could link me to the most up-to-date version of the API doc and perhaps take a look at my config and tell me where i've gone wrong?

Thanks

http://pastebin.com/x3Q7c8t0

Regolith is just the framework... you need something that actually handles giving you resources. Karbonite and MKS/OKS both bundle the Community Resource Pack which includes a ton of standardized Regolith configs. Or you could just grab CRP and make your own stuff... but assuming you also want drills, tanks, etc. Karbonite is a decent starting point (or roll your own)

RoverDue, Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I feel that you have miss-understood my question (maybe due to a failure on my part) and as such, I feel your reply was not helpfull to me.

My question was in relation to a config error that I have now corrected (would help if I could copy and past properly) for which I am now successfully mining water (ice) from kerbans poles with only regolith and scansat.

I felt it necessary to start with something simple (water on kerban), my next step is oxygen and nitrogen.

Thank you for your time and effort regardless.

0.1.6 is up!

Fixed bug with exospheric resources

Fixed nullReference in base converter

Fixed an edge case with DeltaTime doing insta-conversions

This will need to be dropped into any USI mod with a Regolith dependency, as I am deprecating the pre-bundle of Regolith.

Whats the pre-bundle and what's the exospheric bug you're talking about?

Meaning I am not going to include a copy of Regolith in my various packages. It will still be a dependency, but you will need to download it separately.

The exospheric bug related to interplanetary abundances not having correct cuttoffs/displaying correctly (so mostly a K+ issue)

Also, since I'm not aware of any of the USI mods (the ones I have anyway) which have regolith inside the mod folders, is it fine to just drop the new regolith folder into Gamedata or are you saying that we need to put regolith into each USI mod folder? Just a bit confused by your wording.

Hey, got a question wrt. the Regolith API. I'm looking to define a resource based on biome, but Karbonite doesn't seem to have any examples - or at least none I can find. So here I am, asking dumb questions. :)

A) Is it possible to define e.g. ice for only the ice caps of Duna? B) How do it do it?

Hey, got a question wrt. the Regolith API. I'm looking to define a resource based on biome, but Karbonite doesn't seem to have any examples - or at least none I can find. So here I am, asking dumb questions. :)

A) Is it possible to define e.g. ice for only the ice caps of Duna? B) How do it do it?

The documentation is often buried and sometimes out-of-date. REGOLITH_BIOME_RESOURCE nodes as described in https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19908938/CopyofRegolithAPI.pdf should work for what you're trying to do.

Does anybody know whether the other resources besides Karbonite on Kerbin are supposed to be limited to under 1%? Or is that just Karbonite? Because I thought the same applied to all resources.

why is there different mining parts for different resources/ orbital bodies? wouldnt it be simpler if there was just one miner module that collects all resources, both on asteroids and planets? maybe just 2 miner types, one for planets and one for asteroids? it doesent make sense that there is 2 mining drills, which look identical with same model and i assume same weight, except one can only mine some resources where the other can only mine other resources.

why is there different mining parts for different resources/ orbital bodies? wouldnt it be simpler if there was just one miner module that collects all resources, both on asteroids and planets? maybe just 2 miner types, one for planets and one for asteroids? it doesent make sense that there is 2 mining drills, which look identical with same model and i assume same weight, except one can only mine some resources where the other can only mine other resources.

Not really appropriate to this thread, as it is just a resource framework. Drills and other extractors would be part of mods that use this, such as Karbonite etc. But generally I would imagine it is a balance/gameplay issue to avoid the One drill to rule them all scenario. One could argue it could just get too easy that way.