Would this be able to run KSP at acceptable framerates?

Rainbowtrout

It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, so you wouldn't be able to do a whole lot in terms of gaming.

The processor is okay, not the greatest but even an i3 will beat out my A10, which runs KSP great.. With a decent graphics card you could run KSP just fine on this.

It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, so you wouldn't be able to do a whole lot in terms of gaming.

The processor is okay, not the greatest but even an i3 will beat out my A10, which runs KSP great.. With a decent graphics card you could run KSP just fine on this.

What graphics card would you recommend for general gaming?

Not far, there is no dedicated GPU in it, only onboard graphics. They don't mention the motherboard, but there should be a slot to upgrade one.

The dualcore is a mixed bag. Sure, for KSP or other games that only run single-threaded it will work out, but more and more new games are now requiring 4 cores (not only on the spec-sheet, they will use them for real).

So, will it be fine for KSP? Depends...the CPU will do fine, for nicer graphics you will need to add a dedicated card.

It really depends on what you plan to play, so maybe you want to mention a few games.

EDIT: we would need to know your budget roughly to tell you what GPU. Going value/money Nvidia 970 or AMD 290. Minimum would be AMD 260x, but don't expect wonders from that.

Edited by Geneborg

It's an i3-4150 so it should have hyperthreading. Also it does have one PCIe 16x slot.

What would be your price range for a graphics card? I'd recommend something around 150 USD as much lower than that and it's hard to get a decent one.

EDIT: Here is a card under 100 pounds that would run KSP and most other games fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Express-260X-Graphics-GDDR5/dp/B00GI2EZ7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416149927&sr=8-1&keywords=r9+260x

(This card requires a 6 pin power connector, idk if the PC you're looking at has one, but it should, if not cards come with Molex to 6pin adapters usually.)

Edit #2 Green team Equivalent: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeForce-Graphics-GDDR5-Express/dp/B00AJ9XF3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416150153&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+650+2gb

(This one does not require a 6pin connector, and is slightly more powerful than the 260x)

Edited by ZedNova

How about this one? I'm on a really tight budget. About £370; but I have monitor solutions sorted.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/refurbished-pcs/advent-dt-3411-refurbished-desktop-pc-21837755-pdt.html

I'm planning to run KSP, Civ 5, Space Engineers (colossal maybe right now),mand more games along that line.

Edited by Rainbowtrout

The first one as it comes, not very. The CPU is OK but you'd need to add a decent GPU to get good visuals in games. With the power supply rated at just 300 W I'd suggest the GeForce 750 Ti, it has much lower power draw than the AMD competition. However that would be another £100-120.

The second is somewhat better. As RIC says the graphics card is on the weak side, but it's still better than the integrated graphics on the asus.

Honestly I doubt you'll find a decent gaming PC off-the-shelf for your budget. I think it is however just about enough to do your own build. Pentium G3258 processor, motherboard that supports overclocking (do your research), GTX 750 Ti graphics card, remaining parts to squeeze in-budget.

That's a tough budget. It'll be hard to squeak a decent video card in for that, the one in your linked machine is pretty anemic. You might have to suffer low graphics settings. What is your current system like?

It has an Intel Celeron, and integrated graphics. Need I say more? I'm not overly bothered about top level graphics, I just want to play a game, not view an interactive slideshow.

It has an Intel Celeron, and integrated graphics. Need I say more? I'm not overly bothered about top level graphics, I just want to play a game, not view an interactive slideshow.

The second machine you linked will give the better experience (though either will be a significant upgrade :)). As cantab mentions, you might be better served by building your own if you feel that's within your abilities. Especially if you use Linux, the prebuilt machines include a Windows license that you won't need.

To be fair to the second machine you linked, I can provide some input from running a laptop with an HD5470. The one in your link is effectively twice as good as mine, and I'm capable of running kerbal just fine, albeit not on high but medium-low. Full textures I don't need to compromise here either.

The graphics my machine is capable of, does not ruin the experience at all. I can still get my 60fps vsync on those settings. You might be able to reach high settings, but This is purely a guess based on how mine performs. I think my input could perhaps be quite valuable because my laptop also has an i3 processor. only a 2.4ghz clock speed though. The concerning pc has a 3.4ghz clock speed.

I think if you go for the second machine you will not be disappointed at all, as long as you don't get addicted to or feel the need to run everything on full with graphics mods etc, and try to get 1000fps hehe.

Good luck

Always remember to scout around for discount codes too. I managed to get £20 off of my Medion PC from just typing "Medion voucher code" into Google. Either you'll spend a little less money or you'll be able to move up to a better PC on the same budget. Some shops also give student discounts, so you might want to check that out too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.