[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Can you make cargo bays for 3.75m, 5m and 7.5m? I want to build russian dolls with rockets :D

I'd say it's highly likely, but not in the initial release. It's definitely on my list though! :) (but we'll see. Sometimes it's worth putting the parts together so that the initial release is pretty complete)

-------

Apparently I was blind, and totally missed why my surface attachment was broken. But it's straightened out now, so the new P1 engines will be able to be truly "stick anywhere" engines. I'm tempted to go back and add this capability to the K1, M1, and R1 engines as well. But that may come later.

In the screenshots, I turned off the cowling with the tweakable, surface attached them on the bottom of the tank, and then used the VAB gizmos to recess them slightly up into the tank's structure.

KSP%202015-08-31%2014-03-05-10.jpg

KSP%202015-08-31%2014-10-54-23.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

... And I ended up doing some mild reworking on the larger Penguin engines. It was starting to bother me that by compressing the single engine, that it was now implying a lot of empty space in the attachment bases for the clusters. So I hollowed them out and pushed the engines up a bit. You can still see all the detail, but it looks more like a protective enclosure now.

KSP%202015-09-01%2009-15-19-52.jpg

And, let me introduce a new heavy lift engine, the Emu. It has a 3.75m base, which can be switched to a narrower, cylindrical profile for surface attachment. The 7.5m variant will be a cluster of four of these.

I'm still playing with the paint job. But it's already looking better than the first pass.

KSP%202015-09-01%2018-12-47-19.jpg

And, let me introduce a new heavy lift engine, the Emu. It has a 3.75m base, which can be switched to a narrower, cylindrical profile for surface attachment. The 7.5m variant will be a cluster of four of these.

Sweet Kesus! 4 x 6000 = direct ejection from the kalaxy, never mind the kerbolar system….

Sweet Kesus! 4 x 6000 = direct ejection from the kalaxy, never mind the kerbolar system….

Hehe, well, you will end up paying for it in terms of funds, overall mass, and low ISP. But it's pretty powerful, for sure.

I'm basing the increase in thrust over what "height" of tanks can be lifted, compared to the prior diameters. They're not increasing with the cube of the linear dimensions, so there's a "diminishing returns" sort of thing going on, which I think keeps things fair.

I played around with the colors a little bit, and got some more screenshots. This shows the surface attach mode, and both casing configurations.

KSP%202015-09-01%2023-22-25-45.jpg

KSP%202015-09-01%2023-21-06-92.jpg

KSP%202015-09-01%2023-21-19-14.jpg

KSP%202015-09-01%2023-21-24-50.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

I'm still playing with the paint job. But it's already looking better than the first pass.

http://ksp.necrobones.com/screenshots/2015-09/KSP%202015-09-01%2018-12-47-19.jpg

Is that an F-1 nozzle I see? :P

Is that an F-1 nozzle I see? :P

Heheh, funny you should say that. The size, thrust, and ISP are in the right ballpark. ;) (not that I was keeping track of that or anything... oh no.. not at all) :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. That nozzle looks like it was a PITA to model. lol

Nicely done!

Thanks! Yeah, some parts of that required some careful use of a few tricks. Heh. :)

Necrobones, if you ever make that 7.5m Sea Dragon style engine, don't name it after a bird. Instead, to reflect its power, call it the Novakiim: powered by the shouts of dragons.

LOL, I like it. :)

And now, here's the Quad Emu. I managed to sneak a small 2.5m attachment point underneath in the middle. :) (third screenshot shows a Ratite R1 stuck in there)

KSP%202015-09-02%2011-49-21-60.jpg

KSP%202015-09-02%2011-49-44-79.jpg

KSP%202015-09-02%2011-50-08-69.jpg

With this new engine being surface attachable, I think you've finally made a flingotron suitable for Whackjob.

lol :)

Test vehicle. It scares me a little. :)

KSP%202015-09-02%2012-01-47-31.jpg

KSP%202015-09-02%2012-01-54-28.jpg

If you run out of Ratite names (I don't think you've used 'Ostrich' yet), you can always use other living and extinct flightless birds.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too. I figured I'd save Ostrich for an even bigger engine, when/if it comes along. Also, something like "O4" looks like the "O" could be either a letter or a number, so I avoided that for the time being.

Something that was cool was that Penguins are flgihtless, but not Ratites, so I used that one for the vacuum engines instead of the lifters.

Technically this is in a pretty releasable state now. I'm just trying to decide what's worth adding before getting the first test release out.

I might save cargo/service bays for later. But as we discussed earlier, something that could be useful is both monoprop and LFO variants of RCS blocks, and single-nozzle vernor/vernier style RCS thrusters as well. SpaceY does have some larger RCS options already, but not as LFO, and the most versatile ones have monoprop engines built in. Some single-nozzles and a 5-way LFO RCS block might be a good starting point?

- - - Updated - - -

Update to the mainline SpaceY:

1.0.3 (2015-09-02) - Tweaks.
- Increased joint breaking strength on 3.75m and 5m thrust plates.
- More file preparation to support the "SpaceY Expanded" dependency.
- Added spotlights to the docking ports.
- R1 ratite engine moved up to Very Heavy Rocketry tech node.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratite Of the ratites, only the Tinamous can actually fly, and poorly at that.

What I meant is that Penguins are not Ratites. It would have been more clear had I said "and are not Ratites" instead of "but not Ratites".

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I figured I'd go ahead and let everyone start playing with SpaceY Expanded, so I can get some feedback. This is an alpha release, version 0.1, and has its own thread now:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133301

You say the engines are "surface attachable" ... does that mean I can just stick them anywhere now? They don't have to be on a specific node at the end of a tank?

I don't know if you can stick them on the side of a tank, but you can definitely put engines everywhere at the bottom of a tank, so no adapters needed to make clusters.

EDIT: I think only the new engines available here are surface attachable

Right, the single (non-cluster) engines added in SpaceY Expanded are surface attachable. I want to add that capability here too, for the K1, M1, and R1 at some point, but that's not done yet.

It does make them "attach anywhere", effectively. You can stick them on the bottom of a tank without adapters. Or you can attach them radially, but that will require turning them to face the correct direction, and the attachment point will place them half-way clipped into the tank.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.