How do you keep kerbals in the Landers & keep them out of Command Pods?

It's a small inconvenience, but if I couldn't revert, this would be a deal breaker.

I set up a rocket with a Remote Guidance Unit, then, add a lander can to rescue kerbals in space. Every time I load this rocket, Jeb can't keep his ass out of the chair. I have to remove him every time I launch, so I have an empty lander can.

Also, I have a science ship I'm trying to launch (with way too many reverts due to poor designs). Well, every time I revert to the VAB, all of my kerbals jump ship. I have to click on that tab and make sure there are two in the Lander Can, and 4 in the Hitch Hiker thing. EVERY time. Or else, because there's a RC-L01 in the build, I can launch without any kerbals if I'm not paying attention.

How do you save the state of manning? If I put a kerbal in a pod, I want one in there every time I load the ship. If I save a ship without any kerbals, how do I keep them from sneaking in when the ship loads?

It's a small annoyance because I can just revert, but it's annoying to have to go back, especially with a difficult launch, and you finally get the ship in orbit to find your kerbal is either there when you want it empty, or empty when you want kerbals in it.

Am I nuts? Am I the only one with this issue?

Edited by giddonah

I think that's just how the game works, for now. You always have to remove kerbals in the VAB or on the pad.

My first rescue mission I had to rescue a kerbal orbiting in his spacesuit, I was so happy to pull off the rendevous then I couldn't get him in the MK1 because it was occupied.

I didn't think to just kick him out and leave him drifting.

I think the devs have said crew allocations will stick in the updated editor in the next release. Pretty much everyone has the problem of Jeb trying to sneak onboard every launch. For now, sort out the crew allocation last thing before launch or try that mod.

Also, I have a science ship I'm trying to launch (with way too many reverts due to poor designs). Well, every time I revert to the VAB, all of my kerbals jump ship

Well can you blame them for jumping out of a poorly designed ship? More seriously, it's been said that the crew should stay how you set them after the next update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.