• NavUtilities
    • NRAP
    • ProbeControlRoom
    • Procedural Fairings
    • RPM
    • SCANSat
    • Toolbar
    • VesselViewer

Well, question is are you crashing to desktop due to running out of memory, or are you getting really bad slowdown/crashes while flying etc...

(and others) - Good point, the problem I'm getting is as Wanderfound suggests; after switching scenes/ships a few times I'll just get an 'oops' and have to re-start. That's always happened to an extent, of course, but with 0.25 and those mods it's down to around 7 changes and exit gracefully while I have the chance.

As said, my system spec doesn't meet the requirements, but neither is this machine a complete write-off yet:

AMD Athlon 64x2, 4GB RAM, Win 7 x86, nVidia GT 610 (1GB)

KSP is at quarter-res (yes, it looks awful) and ATM aggressive beating-up everything. MJ is partless, added to all pods/cores by MM (I forgot to mention MM!).

OpenGL doesn't work well for me and DirectX is at version 11.

Last time I checked KSP sits at around 2.7GB and the whole system only reporting ~70% memory usage but I've recently done some PC spring-cleaning to see whether that made much difference (it didn't, obviously) so I'll check again once I've finished with the internet for a while. Gah! Those figures were with the mods I used to have - KSP about 1.5GB, 55% of CPU, memory used (total) 59%. I haven't converted textures to another format - good suggestion John FX. In general, I'm an ex-PC software developer and quite happy to get my hands dirty with this stuff so all is possible. Looks like more trolling through task manager followed by a conversion to DDS (I see my favourite file-utility supports it and .MBM so shouldn't be too awful a job).

Thanks all

Edited by Pecan

What mostly takes memory is the textures for the parts. So you can remove parts you aren't using, and save memory that way. MechJeb, for example, you can remove the parts and add the module directly into your probe cores and cockpits.

Can you please tell me how or guide me towards where it gives info?

Can you please tell me how or guide me towards where it gives info? [About using MJ without parts]

You will need the Module Manager (MM) mod, which is used by a lot of other mods and changes 'things' at load time. It's a good one to have around anyway.

Save the text below as a text file in KSP\GameData with the extension .cfg. MM will read this file and add MJ functionality to all command pods and probe cores.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
MODULE
}

You can then simply delete the 'parts' folder from within KSP\GameData\MechJeb2

I personally have found VesselViewer can cause a significant drop in framerate for me when it's on (though messing with some of the settings for it when in IVA can restore some performance) so I ended up taking it out, it's a nice addon for RPM but didn't prove as useful / necessary for me as I'd hoped. Also if you keep RPM you could try using the built in docking port camera (assuming it's still there, hadn't docked since 0.24) instead of the Navball Docking indicator mod, it made IVA docking a lot of fun for me using the camera / monitor to do the precision adjustments and final docking.

I would imagine that dropping RPM, VesselViewer, ProbeControlRoom, Procedural Fairings and SCANSat would get you the best results though given the textures and such (though I could be wrong).

The best thing you could do is delete the Squad parts, NASA mission and Spaceplane Plus parts, and install B9, KW rocketry and a few other mods to replace the parts.

seriously.

The squad folder alone is 763Mb on disk, i deleted almost all of the parts and now it's 91.9Mb.

I deleted all of the ugly stock fuel tanks and engines, + the NASA mission folder and replaced them with KW rocketry (only 200Mb on disk).

Deleted all of the stock wings, landing gear and the Spaceplane Plus folder, and replaced them with B9 Aerospace (only 105Mb on disk).

Deleted all of the lander cans & capsules (and their ugly, large Mb internals) and replaced it with the ALCOR pod (only 26.5Mb on disk)

KW and B9 also have batteries, lights, structural panels, ladders, seperatrons, decouplers, SAS, RCS etc that can replace the stock versions.

Procedural parts is also excellent to replace stock and save space on disk.

Keep doing this for other parts - delete the stock parachutes and install realchutes, change the stock launch clamp for FASA launch clamps etc.

also cherry-pick parts from different mods to replace the stock ones - AIES for probe cores and experiments, Near future for solar panels, batteries, ions, RTG's etc etc.

You will almost always find that the mod parts look better and have a smaller file size.

In the end you can free up a lot of space in your GameData folder, or at least have double the amount of better looking parts for the same memory footprint.

Oh and delete Mechjeb and replace it with Engineer - you will learn how to play the game :P

All the mod listed are mostly pure code and won't free much memory. ProbeControlRoom & Procedural Fairings are most likely those that uses the more since they have textures. I would not remove Procedural Fairings since it's so useful and way more aesthetic than some seems to think.

I highly doubt that removing RPM has any meaningful effect on your game stability.

You have too much parts and as other said you need to look into lowering the texture memory impact with ATM/DDSLoader/OpenGL/Half-Size

And it is quite funny to see that most of the answers where based on some kind of random choice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.