Biome Hopper Challenge (Open for v0.90!)

Claw

this is designed to capture the science data of Jool (low and upper atmosphere,

Jools "lower" atmosphere begins as high as 120km (or maybe even 125, not sure) and you don't need to be on a suborbital trajectory. I habitually snatch it while aerobraking. Going EVA to gather the data then and there is not recommended, though -- that's why I tend to make two rounds of aerobraking.

Jools "lower" atmosphere begins as high as 120km (or maybe even 125, not sure) and you don't need to be on a suborbital trajectory. I habitually snatch it while aerobraking. Going EVA to gather the data then and there is not recommended, though -- that's why I tend to make two rounds of aerobraking.

When did it change that you didn't need to be suborbital for flying low? It wasn't that way when I did my grand tour :-(

Everyone is going to the other planets while I'm just here visiting the Mun.

I just finished the main Kerbin Diaspora mission and got me (as of now) 200 science points, I'll post mission pics later.

I'm working in a low science (nothing more than 90) Munar mission, right now the lander is waiting for the TMI in kerbin low orbit.

1024x576.resizedimage

It has some problems though. No solar panels so batteries must last all mission, forgot the fuel lines so I have to transfer fuel manually from the drop tanks toward the main thruster, and no lights so I won't be able to land easily in dark areas so range will go down. It can -theoretically- visit at most six biomes while getting all the science possible (thermometer is highest researched science for this program).

given all the things to be released in the coming updates and full release, and the current demands on my time, I think I'm going to pull out of this race until the game is in a slightly lower state of flux. with all the changes to aerodynamics and now resources, by the time I would finish my grand tour, my design will be very much not optimal. this is a phenomenal challenge, just for me, a little ahead of its time.

I just finished the main Kerbin Diaspora mission and got me (as of now) 200 science points, I'll post mission pics later.

Looking good. I look forward to seeing your finished mission. :D

... I think I'm going to pull out of this race until the game is in a slightly lower state of flux...

I'm sad to hear that Jake, but I do understand. I was looking forward to a grand tour, but perhaps I will have to wait a bit longer. :P

Cheers,

~Claw

I was looking forward to a grand tour, but perhaps I will have to wait a bit longer.

Maybe I can step in. Kinda. Sort of. I only planned a Jool-5 style mission, but found myself with two full orange tanks left; that will suffice for Eeloo and Dres, and maybe even Duna and/or Ike. One problem is that I became fed up with biome hopping, so the mission is currently stuck at Eeloo; the other, that I'm not exactly looking forward to creating (and hosting!) a 300-picture gallery. That alone would be two days' work.

I'm sad to hear that Jake, but I do understand. I was looking forward to a grand tour, but perhaps I will have to wait a bit longer. :P

Cheers,

~Claw

I don't really have all that much time to play, so by the time I would finish the game would probably be at that stage anyways, and I'd be hating my design for any of a hundred reasons, whether it was burning up or not flying in the atmosphere due to the new aerodynamics, whether it was because I was lugging a boatload of fuel I no longer needed, or any other of a number of things. Don't worry, the work on the ship is ongoing, it's just not at the rate I originally intended. There's plenty of work to be done, and designs to consider, flight plans to draw up, delta-v budgets, etc. I'm also working on getting better at ballistic capture to avoid getting burned up with the new drag system in place, won't be able to aerobrake at 8km on Duna any more :P

In my continued quest to find something my Nomad VTOL can't do, I decided to take it on a tour of all the land Biomes on Kerbin:

Craft Name: Nomad E2

Stock / Non-Stock Entry: FAR, stock parts

Celestial Body: Kerbin

Number of Biomes: 8

http://imgur.com/a/rl6X8#0

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieb9l69js4p64oa/Nomad%20E2.craft?dl=0

It also seems like I'm an idiot who can't get an imgur album to embed :mad: (fixed it for you.... ~Claw)

Edited by Claw

In my continued quest to find something my Nomad VTOL can't do, I decided to take it on a tour of all the land Biomes on Kerbin:

Very nice. I do like how the bay looks. :D And yeah, looks like that little patch of tundra helped you out, heh.

Excellent job, you have been added to the achievement board!

Cheers,

~Claw

• 1 month later...

Claw,

I've got another airplane/ rover combo I'd like to try out, but they don't want to mate together in the VAB due to the docking ports.

Would it be okay if I mate them on the tarmac out in front of the VAB and then launch from the runway?

KerbilabII_zpsjtwkyokm.jpg

KerbilabII1_zps981cxfhv.jpg

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Claw,

I've got another airplane/ rover combo I'd like to try out, but they don't want to mate together in the VAB due to the docking ports.

Would it be okay if I mate them on the tarmac out in front of the VAB and then launch from the runway?

Best,

-Slashy

Sure, that would be okay. The rule is there to prevent the typical orbital behemoth construction, not to impose editor restrictions.

Good luck!

~Claw

We're ready to get this party started!

Day zero. This slideshow shows how everything works and introduces the characters.

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KerbiLab/Kerbilab1

Our objective is to conduct complete scientific workups in every biome on Kerbin, and then return all the data to the KSC.

Day 1:

-Refueling the Kerbilab after a grueling series of field trials.

-Photo ops

-Flight crew boarding

-Science crew stowing the Beagle

-Science crew boarding

-Flight plan

-Taxi & Departure

KerbiLab116_zpso4melsqf.jpg

Best,

-Slashy

Day 2 (actually day 3)

We spent an extra day at the first stop. I was caught off- guard by the electrical requirements of processing all that data.

We made it to the antarctic site without any problems and then nearly ruined the entire mission by getting the rover trapped under the KerbiLab with dead batteries.

Thankfully, we were able to drift Beagle out into the sunlight. Unfortunately, this means spending the night out on the ice sheet, and Anrim was very adamant about getting out of there...

5 of 8 biomes covered.

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KerbiLab/Kerbilab3

Best,

-Slashy

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KerbiLab/Kerbilab4

Day 4:

After staying overnight at the polar zone, we hit up the mountains.

After doing workups in the mountains, highlands, and badlands, it was time to say goodbye to the Beagle.

In truth, we probably had plenty of fuel to bring it back as well, but that is how the mission was designed.

A triumphant return to KSC with all the science!

8/8 biomes covered and safe return to KSC.

KerbiLab416_zpszkq70ixw.jpg

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Dude, this is awesome! I will update the achievement board tomorrow (it's getting late).

And I love the look of that plane. Reminds me of one of those weird cargo lifter helicopters (Russian I think?).

Cheers!

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.