Crashing and freezing on OS X 10.10

Since upgrading to OS X 10.10, KSP has been almost unplayable due to freezes and crashes.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when they occur, and the log file has no indication that anything terrible has happened.

iMac (27 inch)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M, 1024 MB graphics card

KSP: 0.25.0.642

I think we have the same spec machine. I had these exact problems when I installed Yosemite. It then gradually became random restarts.

Reverting to Mavericks has fixed the issue for me.

I am not sure downgrading the os back to what I know previously worked is so much a fix as ignoring the problems with KSP on 10.10

I am not sure downgrading the os back to what I know previously worked is so much a fix as ignoring the problems with KSP on 10.10

To be clear, I'm of the opinion that the issue between KSP and Yosemite on my machine is on the Yosemite side. My Mac continuously rebooted and crashed regardless of whether KSP was running or not while Yosemite was installed. Reverting to Mavericks alleviated this problem. Obviously YMMV.

I have 2 concurrent installs. The first consists of KSP running on a Macbook pro running 10.10 which exhibits the normal KSP issues other are seeing. The second is on my later 2011 iMac high spec (like the OPs) running KSP on the last version of Mavericks. This second install was previously running Yosemite, which I later reverted - hence my position regarding instability of 10.10 on a specific Mac platform rather than it being a KSP issue.

To be clear, I'm of the opinion that the issue between KSP and Yosemite on my machine is on the Yosemite side. My Mac continuously rebooted and crashed regardless of whether KSP was running or not while Yosemite was installed. Reverting to Mavericks alleviated this problem. Obviously YMMV.

Ohhh.... I misunderstood. My Mac is solid as a rock; it's KSP that keep crashing. Ok. Understood. :-)

• 3 months later...

Just to note that I have had a lot of the same issues, only it is the Mac that gets borked. High CPU (Kernel Task at 350-400%). It's a late 2013 27" iMac with the Nvidia GTX 780M video card, the 3.4 Ghz i5 and 16 GB RAM. It seemed to be KSP that tipped it over but then it would reboot still in trouble.

I have uninstalled Google Soundflower, a screen capture sound add-in and that seems (for now !) to have stabilized it significantly. No crashes for nearly a week nd it was daily before that, with multiple OS reloads. So just in case you have a program that adds a third party .kext file (Kernel Extension) to start up it can be the cause of a lot of problems. KSP and Unity don't seem to have kexts, so as I seem to have found, check for any third party (non-Apple, non-NVidia if you have an Nvidia card) and try uninstalling that app/program.

Just FYI and YMMV, but it saved my KSP experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.