Procedural Engines? One way to make it happen...

Briefmoment

So I have been thinking for a while. I have always had a singular problem with Kerbal Space Program--and some add-ons--. I have always had the idea of procedural engines, just like there is procedural fairings and wings. This is a time of low memory and the strive for efficiency. So why not turn all those bulky engines from numerous part packs into on modular one? Here, I have a method I hope could solve that problem.

The hopeful lust of more memory.

So, what if you can use a asset from Procedural Parts mod? I have been thinking if you could re-arrange the Procedural SRB, and effectively turn it into a modular engine nozzle. The way I have been devising it (As well as testing it [Will post pictures at a later time]), you could change the fuel types, thrust curves, et-cetera. I have only briefly tested this in KSP, with my RO install mind you, until it crashed. So I will install a fresh directory and test from there. I hope this could lead to some decree of reducing RAM on 32bit KSP games. I know this has been a subject for a while, and has been attempted before--and may be in development right now, I am a moron, so I would not know XD--.

A Little Disclaimer:

Yes I may be using an asset of a mod and publicly modifying it. I will not however release any milestone of that part in respect for the mod-author until I get permission, ect. Also, I am almost positively sure this had came up before in the world of add-ons for KSP. I have yet to find any release of a mod of the kind, as it is very difficult to do, yes I realize that. :P

PS- This thread is subject to change in the future.

If the RAM economy is the only purpose, you would just choose some lovely engine and clone its *.cfg file (new file name don't matter).

Then change "name" parameter to be unique.

To change size change "rescaleFactor".

Set any thrust/ISP/mass you wish.

Some trouble will be with "node_stack_top", "node_stack_bottom" and other "node_...". They define color balls where the parts are being attached in the in-game editor.

Of course, it is cheating. But if you don't say anybody, nobody knows.

Other parameters are almost clear.

I always wanted to see modular/procedural/adjustable engine components. Choose your combustion chamber, then adjust for fuel type and desired thrust. Adjust exhaust bell length for best Isp either at sea level or vacuum. Adjust gimbaling mechanism for desired range. Adjust engine mount structure to support the desired total weight; also have options for multiple chambers and exhaust bells on a single engine assembly. I figured the fuel pump mechanism would automatically adjust to match the fuel type and combustion chamber options, unless somebody wanted to get creative with throttle range restrictions and/or limited ignitions. And all these options directly affecting the engine's mass, of course.

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.