Wall Plaques

kerbiloid

Wall Plaque.

Currently there are two common problems with KSP mods:

1) Mod textures eat RAM too much, that makes either to limit mods usage, or to use almost similar models for different parts. (For example: USI MKS parts distinct mostly in inscriptions on their walls).

2) To edit a cfg file and to attach an existing 3d model is much easier than to create a 3d model from scratch. Especially without any artistic talent.

So, looks like a special (detail+plugin) mod would be useful: a Wall Plaque.

I.e. like a flag, but a plaque.

Basically

A simple 3d-model and a popup window where you can edit description text and maybe (and would be cool) select an image or texture  as Procedural Parts textures).

Placing in VAB/SPH (but maybe also with KAS  no matter).

Editing content as a flag text or a procedural texture is being edited.

Hovering it with a mouse you can see a tooltip with description.

Looking from aside you see either image/texture, or text, or at least a color  and can quickly distinguish them.

Purpose

1. Distinguish similar modules.

"A long, long time ago there were three little piglets: Jeb, Bill and Bob. And they had built three cabins".

So, you build three similar cabins, placing a plaque on each of them, then write "Jeb", "Bill", "Bob" and select some image or color.

You can see by image, text or color which cabin belongs to which piglet.

2.Creating custom modules

Say, you use USI and its really useful converter plugins.

You want to add some ingenious technology. For example, convert Biomass to Whiskey, and then convert Whiskey to LqdFuel. Or to convert Compost into PlasticBricks.

No problem adding a Whiskey resource. Conversion also is no problem: you can add Roverdude's modules in cfg.

But your hands are too wry (as mine are) to create 3d model.

So, instead of asking: "please, make me a Biomass-to-Whiskey plant model", "please, make me a Whiskey-to-LqdFuel plant model" you just:

- Create cfg files for any part you need;

- Write a path to, say, a stock ScienceLab model  so no additional textures used;

- Write into cfg all (conversion) plugin modules you want;

- Invoke you part in VAB/SPH;

- Place a plaque on its wall and describe there, what this station module is: "Whiskey plant", "Compost bricketing facility", etc. And select some visual sign as an image/texture or at least a color.

So, you have added to stock just a plaque model & textures, but your station has gotten a wide set of technological modules.

Ugly? No, a standard. Compare this to, say, USI MKS/OKS design.

As I can see, there used almost the same way: one basic model&texture + wall plaques integrated as textures.

But whit such mod that would be also customizable.

Edited by kerbiloid

Yes, on Sunday I have done a test. All looks great.

I have created several toy facilities using Roverdude's plugin and a "Hydro-Gro" detail from "UDK Lethal Dose" mod (the same for all of them) as a test 3rd party model.

They were well distinguished visually due to these decals and working fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.