High-speed impact causes game to freeze

I was attempting to crash an impactor into the Mun's surface for science (Interstellar mod), and when it hit the surface (780 m/s) the game froze. I uninstalled all mods to try and isolate the cause, but the freeze still occurs on impact. I feel like I've encountered this before, but until now I never had much reason to crash. Is this a known thing?

I don't remember hearing of anything exactly the same so I can't say for sure. Either way, it would be very useful if you could work out a reliable way to repeat it (e.g. steps to follow from a particular save game) and also post the output_log.txt/player.log file that results from you repeating it in stock KSP...

Detailed instructions on where to find the necessary log file can be found in this thread.

There was no crash log, as it didn't really crash, just freeze requiring a task manager closing. The only real additional info involved is that it the craft in question is a probe using the Stayputnik core, and that it hits at a steep trajectory. The freeze doesn't seem to happen on the rare occasion when the core survives the first impact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.