Official Orion Launch Thread - 12-4-14

Tux

all heat-shields for re-entry are ablative not soak ;p And Deadly-ReEntry simulates this

Either way, impressive test flight and even more impressive landing ;) Now only thing left for a Mars or Moon mission is the Space Launch System... Seems to be going up in space-exploration again.. lots of fancy new tech being developed.. and so rare to see a mission happen with literally zero problems or even internal warnings ;p

IRRC they obliteratively (spell?) cool the heat shield at times. It burns/breaks off taking the heat with it. :P

You mean ablatively. And he's talking about making an aerobraking pass before final re-entry. In between passes there's no ablation because there's no more heating. Only radiative cooling while waiting for the ultimate re-entry.

Well done USA-lians. NASA and Lockheed know their stuff.

anyone else notice, in mission control they had a model of the Delta heavy to start with. now there's a little Orion model next to it. so cute!

I noticed that too! So cool.

Well, not the Shuttle ones, and on Orion, not the side walls, here just the large front sheild ablates.

Anyway, it was incredible, and it seemed to go off all without any problem. Hopefully, that shall be indicative of things to come.

You mean ablatively. And he's talking about making an aerobraking pass before final re-entry. In between passes there's no ablation because there's no more heating. Only radiative cooling while waiting for the ultimate re-entry.

I would guess there is a maximum ablation rate which if it is the case would make it more sensible to use a single entry. Try it in DR, if you do a few slowdown passes you end up with less heatshield left and you can burn up on the last one whereas if you do it in one burn you slow down before the shield is gone. It`s more G-force but less ablating.

all heat-shields for re-entry are ablative not soak ;p And Deadly-ReEntry simulates this

Either way, impressive test flight and even more impressive landing ;) Now only thing left for a Mars or Moon mission is the Space Launch System... Seems to be going up in space-exploration again.. lots of fancy new tech being developed.. and so rare to see a mission happen with literally zero problems or even internal warnings ;p

Well, to be honest... there was an issue with one of the cameras inside Orion not performing as well as they expected, and they had to power cycle it.

But if that's the worst problem upon going through the logged data, that's awesome. And they almost nailed the predicted landing spot. A beautiful flight.

All of them? What about the space shuttle's? The TPS tiles are a heat shield, aren't they?

Mhh yes.. but the Space Shuttle doesn't fly anymore... ;p

I wonder though, do you call the shuttles TPS tiles a heat-shield? Terminology wise you could argue that only ablative is shielding because you "reflect" the heat away, while with soak you absorb the heat and then hope you don't blow up until it radiates away. Not what I call a shield.

Either way, I should have said "currently used" heat shields ;P

So I guess that NASA or NAVY helicopter capturing that "Powerpoint Slideshow" framerate footage (EDIT: I just heard the proper term used for this: "sequential still video") of the capsule on the water isn't equipped with the same technology that the CIA/NSW/DEVGRU used to live stream the Abbottabad compound raid to let the white house see the Bin Ladin assault in real time? If true, then the military/intelligence community still gets the better toys, probably.

Regarding the slow and choppy nature of NASA TV, I am going to say that now, with less than 4000 people streaming it (according to the number at the bottom), my connection, is still slow, and choppy.

But anyway, it is better that they spend their time on building good spaceships, and doing good science; it would have been unfortunate if the coverage were clean and smooth, only to show the massive fireball and explosions. I am happy to see it at all, in colour, even. Who cares if it is poor coverage.

Congragulations to NASA and to the Orion teams!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.