Squadcast Summary (Updated 2014-12-13 - the 0.90 features video edition!)

BudgetHedgehog

VABs gotta limit something, yo. I'm no coder, but I think part limit was easier to code than physical size limit and is a very rough workaround for it - excluding tiny science stuff, antennas and RCS blocks etc (I did say it was rough), the main parts you'll be adding are fuel tanks, engines, SRBs.. big bulky stuff, basically. 40 fuel tanks, 5 engines, a command pod and a couple SRBs are going to take up a lot of space anyway.. why code a phsyical size limit when you can code a part limit and get the same result?

Granted, this doesn't take into account the tiny radial stuff I mentioned and the fact part clipping is allowed now, but yeah, it's rough. Honestly and seriously though, if anyone can show Squad a way to code physical size limits into the editors, I'm sure (or rather, I hope) they'd listen. Myself, I can live with part count limits (I apply handwavium + the first paragraph), but I can live with size limits as well and they seem to be more popular...

EDIT: Personally, I think people are getting a bit Chicken Little about this whole thing.. It's been mentioned that the first upgrades for the buildings are so cheap, you already have enough money to buy them when you start a new career, the fact that you'll likely hit the weight limit before the part count limit to begin with, and the fact that you can make an orbit capable rocket with level 1 tech with less than 50 parts anyway. That will get you enough money to upgrade the VAB and it won't be a problem any more.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

EDIT: Personally, I think people are getting a bit Chicken Little about this whole thing.. It's been mentioned that the first upgrades for the buildings are so cheap, you already have enough money to buy them when you start a new career, the fact that you'll likely hit the weight limit before the part count limit to begin with, and the fact that you can make an orbit capable rocket with level 1 tech with less than 50 parts anyway. That will get you enough money to upgrade the VAB and it won't be a problem any more.

I agree. If the tier-1 stuff can be purchased so easily, then it isn't anything more than eyecandy for lets plays.

If I were king of KSP it would be impossible to get to orbit with tier-1 material, mostly because I'd eliminate tank stacking and incease Kerbin's size. That would make the early models something more then eyecandy.

Thanks for keeping this updated, ObsessedWithKSP. Much appreciated. :)

-Biome maps are available to view ingame, but only available in the debug menu. They're open to feedback on this though - if a large majority of players want that as an unlockable feature, it's doable.

Absolutely, let's have biome maps integrated into the game! Even at the lowest level it would be great to have text display which biome you're currently in/over. The current system of constant EVA's to check whether you're in a new biome yet is tedious and boring.

They get XP based on achievements and what they do - a trip to Mun awards X amount of XP, a trip to Eeloo awards way way more.

Hmm, is the XP awarded upon landing on the object or upon return to Kerbin?

I wonder if you can get XP from the same object more than once? If not, it will be important to have some system of "checking off" objects so you know which will give XP and which won't. Once I have dozens of Kerbals on active missions, I can't always keep track of who's been where.

(Really I'd like achievements recorded on a per-Kerbal basis regardless of the XP system for my own entertainment. :) )

Scientists will increase science output by a certain % which grows with each level the kerbal gets ("I don't believe they stack, but I could be wrong" says Max).

Would be good to clarify this before release. If it isn't, guess it'll be one of the first things I check in the game.

The fact that they would hide this in the debug menu to start with makes me wonder about their vision for a final UI, which as it is is quite limited and unsatisfactory

I'm thinking that they "hid" it for a reason.

They have some surprises they don't want to spoil. I'm guessing that they're integrating biome scanning sensors into the game. If not in this release, then forthcoming.

Best,

-Slashy

Hmm, is the XP awarded upon landing on the object or upon return to Kerbin?

I wonder if you can get XP from the same object more than once? If not, it will be important to have some system of "checking off" objects so you know which will give XP and which won't. Once I have dozens of Kerbals on active missions, I can't always keep track of who's been where.

Purely guessing here, but I think it's awarded on both. The internal progress tracking keeps itself up to date with whatever you do, so I'm guessing KXP either hooks into that or uses something similar. Also, again, guessing, but I'd imagine you get KXP every time a kerbal does something, no matter if it's been KXP'd before. Otherwise, you'd eventually end up with literally no way to train your new kerbals up as everywhere had already been visited before.

Purely guessing here, but I think it's awarded on both. The internal progress tracking keeps itself up to date with whatever you do, so I'm guessing KXP either hooks into that or uses something similar. Also, again, guessing, but I'd imagine you get KXP every time a kerbal does something, no matter if it's been KXP'd before. Otherwise, you'd eventually end up with literally no way to train your new kerbals up as everywhere had already been visited before.

Oh yeah, I figured that each new Kerbal got a fresh chance to get XP on every body. What I meant was for a particular Kerbal - e.g. Jeb - can I get 10x the XP by visiting the Mun 10x? Or will it cap at 1x?

If it doesn't cap, what counts as a "new visit" in terms of XP? Taking off from the Mun and landing back in the same biome? A different biome? Exiting the Mun's SOI and entering again? Landing on another body before landing on the Mun again?

-Biome maps are available to view ingame, but only available in the debug menu. They're open to feedback on this though - if a large majority of players want that as an unlockable feature, it's doable.

That's a definitive "YES! HELL YES!" from me. in-game biome maps should definitely be unlockable.

Great to see we can use them in the debug menu till then :)

That's a huge "ABSOLUTELY, YES!" from me too. I think having an unlock of some kind would be great. It would even be a fun aspect of mission planning if it were a science instrument (like a LIDAR system or something), perhaps with a contract-like set of requirements (such as: establish an orbit with AP and PE both within a certain altitude range, and turn it on, and *POOF*, map unlocked). It doesn't need to be as complex or robust as SCANsat, but I'd rather have something with mission requirements rather than just spend science points on it, or turn it on via a UI button without doing something, etc.

Edited by NecroBones

I think dividing parts into those that count and those that don't is harder to implement than make a simple weight threshold. It will also make it harder for modders.

The game already uses a bunch of variables in the part.cfg file that have default values if a modder leaves them out; some are simple Booleans, some have a limited set of text value possibilities, and others are floats. Some of these are VERY obscure, only used for a few specific parts; ever see a part with NoCrossFeedNodeKey set? This sort of division would just add one more variable to that list, so if modders didn't want to account for it they could just ignore it and their parts would count towards the part limit as normal. Really, it's no more complex than the old mass exception for landing gear.

There's still the rest of the entire day to go, I wouldn't write it off just yet.

That's true. I think last time, the media team was unshackled on a Sunday too. And that was for a Thursday release? Something like that. I can't keep it all straight anymore. :)

For me, the surest way to know the update is just around the corner are the youtubers that usually do the feature videos with access to experimental builds: when they fall silent like they have this weekend, you can be sure something is brewing. I don't know if it'll be this Tuesday, but next one tops.

Rune. Those channels need new content added!

For me, the surest way to know the update is just around the corner are the youtubers that usually do the feature videos with access to experimental builds: when they fall silent like they have this weekend, you can be sure something is brewing. I don't know if it'll be this Tuesday, but next one tops.

Rune. Those channels need new content added!

good one rune the manly just uploaded the 0.90 preview