Question to do with RAM

Right: firstly, I have varying reports on how much RAM a 32bit application can use (4gb was the highest amount I have seen mentioned). I run a 64bit OS, with 12gb RAM. I would assume this means that ksp will be able to use its full amount of RAM, because it won't have to compete with the OS?

Firstly, KSP can only use about 2-3 GB of RAM on the stable 32-bit application, and the 64-bit crashes too often to run many mods on it.

Secondly, there is no secondly, don't use firstly when there is no secondly!

Why did I use firstly? I have no idea! Just now KSP was running at around 3.5gb then it crashed when reverting to the VAB. I assume that was because it ran out of memory it could use, rather than other programs over-rode it for RAM use?

On a 32-bit system, applications can usually use around 2GB of RAM. The entire system as a whole will be sharing about 3.5GB of RAM, and KSP can only use so much when the OS and other programs need to use memory as well. On a 64-bit system with more than 4GB of RAM, KSP should be able to use around 3.5GB of RAM, sometimes nearing almost 4GB.

So, yes, your guess is correct.

If you're feeling up to dual-booting with Linux, the 64 bit Linux client is much more stable than the 64 bit Windows client. More info about playing in Linux can be found in these two threads - The Linux Thread and The Other Linux Thread. It made a huge difference on my system with how many mods I can use, and I'm only running with 6GB total of RAM.

32-bit applications can address up to 3.5gbs of RAM. If you run KSP in 64-bit mode it'll be able to use all the RAM you have that isn't already reserved/used by something else.

I'm able to run KSP in 64-bit mode on Windows 8.1 with no apparent problems, but your mileage will vary there. A lot of people can't really get it working. Also certain mods, including some very popular mods, are disabled in 64-bit mode (much to my annoyance...) so there's that to consider as well.

If you're feeling up to dual-booting with Linux, the 64 bit Linux client is much more stable than the 64 bit Windows client. More info about playing in Linux can be found in these two threads - The Linux Thread and The Other Linux Thread. It made a huge difference on my system with how many mods I can use, and I'm only running with 6GB total of RAM.

The Linux 64-bit version works, but the game runs significantly worse in OpenGL than it does in DirectX.

The Linux 64-bit version works, but the game runs significantly worse in OpenGL than it does in DirectX.

That is true - there is a lot more lag. I suppose it's a trade-off - either you can have lots of mods and a slow game, or a fast game and few mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.