Hello, I'm another noob looking for basic answers.

Hey this is my first post here, and I am sure I will be posting around here a lot because I am in love with this game and AstroPhysics in general. So, recently I developed a very deep interest for AstroPhysics after watching the film Interstellar a few weeks ago (don't hate me) and I've pretty much been infatuated with space, astrophysics and astronomy ever since. Now, I came into KSP knowing relatively no physics or maths and just built a rocket to see what happens. After failure after failure I decided to check on reddit for answers and the general consensus was to watch Scott Manley, but I would prefer a more hands-on approach to learning about things, with more theory involved.

Yesterday I managed to get into my first low orbit around kerbin which I was extremely happy about, but I learnt how a lack of calculations can end, which to say the least, is badly. So, now I have a ship stranded in orbit, and Jeb is dead (I admitted defeat and jetpacked back into Kerbin, I surprisingly survived the atmosphere heat change, but died on impact with the ocean). So, now after playing for about an hour today trying to get into a lunar orbit, I realised that I need to learn about build structures and deltaV calculations more. I just downloaded Kerbal Engineer Redux, which kind of tells you the deltaV each part gives you, and I looked at a deltaV map, but I'm still pretty lost when it comes to calculating it all.

So that's my first problem. My second problem is that I really have no idea about building efficient rockets that have correct stages, house enough fuel for my voyages, rockets that are controllable (i.e not too tall, as I figured it is really hard to control tall rockets), and also how to understand TWR, and how to get it up/down.

I realise that all of these questions are probably really stupid, the same things are posted every single day, and I probably shouldn't be playing this game, but I am extremely interested in Astrophysics and I think it's something I may look at doing at college/university, so if anyone can recommend any books for me to read as well, that would be greatly appreciated because all I want to do right now is learn learn learn! :D

Thanks for reading guys.

Hey there, AstroLuke, welcome to the KSP forums.

I don't have time for an extensive posting right now, otherwise I'd get into your concerns in depth. For now, I'll point you to the KSP Wiki, specifically the Tutorial section marked Rocket and Probe Design. Start with the Basic Rocket Design and the article entitled "What's with all the math?", and maybe take a gander at the Cheat Sheet - the last of which, incidentally, contains the level of math you're asking about. I'll be back when I have more time to see what other advice you've received.

Edited by capi3101

After failure after failure I decided to check on reddit for answers and the general consensus was to watch Scott Manley, but I would prefer a more hands-on approach to learning about things, with more theory involved.

I just downloaded Kerbal Engineer Redux, which kind of tells you the deltaV each part gives you, and I looked at a deltaV map, but I'm still pretty lost when it comes to calculating it all.

So that's my first problem. My second problem is that I really have no idea about building efficient rockets that have correct stages, house enough fuel for my voyages, rockets that are controllable (i.e not too tall, as I figured it is really hard to control tall rockets), and also how to understand TWR, and how to get it up/down.

Thanks for reading guys.

I'm going to tackle this in bits. I've isolated the three main issues for brevity

Capi has the right Idea going to the wiki, lot's of good, if outdated, tutorials there. The other options is to experiment, see what works, what doesn't and go from there. The Pre-built crafts are good for this. (specifically the Kerbal-X I would remove the landing legs though)

Issue #2: Reading a dV (delta-V) map. This one isn't really that hard, just a bit un-intuitive. You look at where you are and where you want to go and add all the numbers plus about 5% (safety margin), this will be the amount of dV you need to get there. Not back, just there. I wouldn't worry about going outside Kerbins' SoI (Sphere of Influence) for the moment, lots to do inside there. You already have Kerbal Engineer which is good, means you have a dV/TWR readout in the editor so I won't bore you with the rocket equation.

Building controllable rockets is something that's a tad tricky. Just because your rocket is tall doesn't mean it's uncontrollable, however, you can do better by planning a little. My typical beginner rockets start with a capsule and a small bit of fuel, just enough to de-orbit myself when I'm done. Then I need to get that stage into orbit, I know I need about 5000m/s of dV to go from sea level to orbit, but I'm not going to build a single stage to do that.

Instead I want my orbital insertion stage to have about 500m/s of dV, just enough to circularize and a little bit extra just in case. Then my center lift stage will have about 1500m/s, this is where the power is. After that it's all about boosters. I typically use 4 boosters feeding fuel into the center, this gives me enough oomph (TWR) off of the pad, while keeping enough fuel in the center tank to get me most of the way to orbit. Between the boosters I typically add winglets to help control the rocket during atmospheric flight.

Now then, to "control" your TWR (thrust-to-weight Ratio) you can either change the weight of your rocket, or how much thrust you are outputting. If you right click the engine in the VAB you can adjust the maximum amount of thrust of that engine. You want to aim for a TWR of about 1.5 to 2.0 on the pad, it will only go up as your rocket burns fuel.

I think that covers everything, I will have a picture of an example rocket here soonish.

Euf4UF8.png
Edited by Taki117

I was in your shoes, still kind of am. There are plenty of tutorials (as mentioned) and videos to check out. I like hands-on and tinkering with things however, and sometimes that's the best way to learn - trial and error. I think that's what part of this game is about, just experiment, make notes, learn from others examples. Most importantly though - have fun. :)Welcome to the forums.

KER does give you delta V, I've heard there are some innacuracies but it's worked for me. You can build your rocket so that the total delta V is what you need to get to where you want to go, from the map. When you're ready to land on the Mun allow plenty of margin for the landing phase as a careful landing uses a lot more fuel.

KER also gives TWR. You want it about 1.4-1.7 for your first stage, once you're higher it doesn't matter as much. To land and take off from Mun or minumus your lander has to have TWR greater than 1, but, don't forget to change the reference body in KER, a TWR of 1.5 on Kerbin will be like 6 or 7 on the Mun.

To adjust TWR, the easiest thing is to adjust throttle, although of course then you don't know exactly what TWR while you're flying (actually does KER change TWR in flight based on throttle? Never tried it.) You can also change staging. Classic example is a liquid booster with 2 SRB on the side. Initially it will have all 3 engines firing together in stage 1. This may give you a TWR of say 3. So what you do then is move the liquid engine to stage 2, so the SRB fire first, then when they're done the liquid engine goes. KER will show you what happens to the TWR after you make the change. Also, you can actually right click on a SRB in the VAB and decrease the throttle. Once you launch you can't adjust throttle but you can ahead of time. Your SRB will burn at less thrust and will burn longer. Fiddle with this setting (called a "tweakable") in the VAB until you get the TWR you want (KER will update the TWR as you adjust.) You can also do this for liquid engines, it's called limiter. Then you can just set throttle to full when you launch. And leave it alone.

A few others, you probably know this but landing on Minimus is way easier than the Mun. Start with small simple 1 or 2 stage rockets, a little 2 stager can easily make orbit and come back. And keep plugging away, it's amazing how quickly it comes together. I remember when docking seemed so hard but after a few days of reading tutorials and playing the game I got it and now I can't remember why I ever thought it was hard.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Edited by DrD

I realise that all of these questions are probably really stupid ...

Yes, they are, but that's OK! The first step in learning about a complex topic is even trying to figure out how to articulate the questions to be asked. As far as Rocket Science is concerned - it's Rocket Science, but not that hard. The stupidest questions are the ones that aren't asked, at all.

, the same things are posted every single day,

They are posted a lot - but it's because we love talking about it.

and I probably shouldn't be playing this game,

Why not? This game was meant for people just like you. Who are curious and want to play a game that helps them learn about how the real world actually works.

but I am extremely interested in Astrophysics and I think it's something I may look at doing at college/university,

Good! If this is so, KSP has done its job!

so if anyone can recommend any books for me to read as well, that would be greatly appreciated because all I want to do right now is learn learn learn! :D

Get REALLY familiar with Kepler's Three Laws of Planetary Motion. It turns out (as Newton discovered) that all of Kepler's Laws pertain to Rockets, too, and can help you solve a lot of problems before they even start (e.g. When to leave Kerbin to reach Duna).

Hey, welcome aboard!

Now, I'm going to say some things that may seem like BOLD STATEMENTs, but trust me when I say the mathematics support these conclusions (and my experience in KSP has born them out over and over):

1. It all comes down to Delta-V, in the end!

2. If you want to maximize your Delta-V, minimize all the extra stuff you bring. Any unessential thing (other than fuel) attached to your rocket lowers your Delta-V.

4. Don't get your Thrust to Weight ratios too high, i.e. don't have too much thrust for your mass. Doing so lowers your effective Delta-V.

5. Don't build your Thrust to Weight ratios too low! Doing so also lowers your effective Delta-V.

6. Maximize Delta-V by using frequent, but reasonable staging. Any time you can shed mass that is no longer useful, you'll end up with more Delta-V.

Edited by EtherDragon

I recently put a lot of stuff together (approx 1 month ago or so) cause i got the same feelings like you.

I won't post everything agoain cause it's a whole lot of stuff and i recognized my calc of the dvDrag is not acceptable correct.

But if you want to get a little bit into it check out this thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97801-I-need-help-making-a-delta-v-map

There might be stuff you can use.

To your questions, as many mentioned -> Tutorials, Wiki page!

Use Asparagus Staging -> efficient and good controllable

On staging keep in mind that every lower stage gets the upper stages as payload

e.g. Stage 1 : (Lander 5T / 0T Payload) | Stage 2: (Upper Atmosphere to Orbit and Transfer 39T / 5 T Payload) ships 41T | Stage 3 : (Lift Stage 84T / 41T Payload) ships 123T and so on...

TWR : Thrust/(Massfull*Gravity)

TWR lowers on less Thrust, rises on less mass (basically)

Hope some of that helps you :)

Welcome to the forums AstroLuke, may I suggest a different approach as the others proposed?

Leave away all the math for now. Seriously. Try to build stuff, blow it up, see how far it goes.

You already made it to orbit, which is the first big step. With plenty more to follow, I'm sure.

Try to create your own rules of tumb that you can easily remember. A few examples:

- each lower stage should be bigger than the next upper stage, lets say twice the fuel/engines

- go straight up to 10km, then start turning slowly towards 90° (to the right). See where you end up. Remember, in order to get into an orbit, you need to go sideways instead of upwards.

- in order to approach Mun: go to orbit (you can already do that, with a better vessel you will have fuel left to go further). In map view, rotate it so Mun is at the top (12 o'clock). Place a manover node at 3 o'clock and burn prograde (straight ahead) until you cross Mun's orbit.

- bring a parachute

Just take it easy, see how things go, try to find out what went wrong in the last mission and improve.

Once you had your share of exploding rockets, failed landings, lost Kerbals, you can still go with all the helper tools (KER, MechJeb, ...). But really, nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment of a 1st Mun landing or orbital docking of two vessels, especially if you did it manually.

At least this is how I learned to "KSP". The first few month without any tools and I never regretted any second of it, none of the 600+ hours I have spent with Kerbals.

I still think that a bit of reading will provide a steeper learning curve ascent as compared with trial and error.

Basics are

1) in order to get somewhere (or even change your orbit) you'll need dV (KER calculates that for you)

2) you also need thrust to weight > 1 if you want to lift off any celestial body (KER calculates this too - just remember that TWR of an engine is different depending on where you are)

3) braking is as important as accelerating (probably more)

4) atmospheric drag and gravity can slow you down (and save fuel)

5) big thrust is not always good

6) gravity pull can also slow you down, but it can also accelerate you (using gravity sling maneuver)

7) planning everything before launch helps a lot

8) don't forget parachutes

9) don't forget batteries

10) don't forget solar panels

Hi, I think you already had your fair share of tips, if I may add my bit is that learning how the maneuver nodes work can give you a edge while in space. If you know where you are going and you know how to change that your kerbals are never lost.

And just play as ppl above said.

Next time you are stranded in orbit you might try to "push" your ship with the jet pack and come back in to land instead of diving. ;)

First of all:

There aren't stupid questions, only stupid answers. Don't hesitate to ask a question, if you are uncertain about something.

Aaand: Everyone was a noob as a newbie, without exeption!

The "cheat sheet" provides you already an dv-map, witch you can use. You have to read it from the bottom to the top. The values provide you with a rough estimate how mutch dv your rocket should have to reach a certain goal.

For example (all values in m/s as dv):

• Liftoff and go to LKO (Low Kerbin Orbit (about 70-100km)) is about 4550 m/s dv (delta velocity (the change of velocity your rocket must be capable of))
  • Mun intercept (you are going into mun's SOI (Sphere of influence) is about 860 m/s. You reach the AP (Apoapsis=highest point of your Orbit) of your high eccentrical high Orbit arround Kerbin at the same time as the mun. For that use in LKO a manouver node witch you manipulate until the projected course fit your needs.
  • low mun orbit (30 km) is about 210 m/s
  • Mun is about 640 m/s, you are landed on mun

When you add all those values (4550 + 860 + 210 + 640 = 6260) you have the dv needed for a rocket witch lifts off at KSC (Kerbal Space Center) and is landing on Mun.

And for going back the same values in the other direction? Not quite. Because you need:

• to LMO (Low Mun Orbit) 640 m/s

now it will be different:

• ejection course (retrograde (against the direction of movement) to Muns orbit) about 250 m/s estimated. Now you are in a projected excentrical high orbit around Kerbin again. Burn retrograde unless you have an PE (Perapsis) of 30 km.

And that's it for the return. You will have an aerocapture at Kerbin and hopefully an successful splashdown in an ocean. By adding this values to that of before (6260 + 640 + 250 = 7150) you have the dv requirements for an rocket that will be capable of landing on mun and return to Kerbin.

Mounting an part of Kerbal Engineer to your rocket shows you the dv your rocket have in the different stages.

Oh, and the stages on the right side of the editior you have to read from the bottom to the top too. You can shift the parts into an other stage, e.g. a rocket engine into the stage with the decoupler for that engine. Or creating a new one by klicking on the "+" button (is valid for every stage after the stage labeled 1st (even if it is the last))

I would suggest small rockets for your start with the game, because for getting to orbit, test docking, fly to mun or minmus doesn't require huge rockets. And these will be more controllable. Speaking of this: The shorter and "not so wide" a rocket is, the better it turns in space without using the engines. Don't forget a power source (solar panel, thermoelectric genrator) and batteries, otherwise your spaceship "dies". And if something is wobbeling -> strutify these parts!

You will find that there is plenty of room for trial and error, a key part of KSP. ;)

Because spaceships in KSP acting not exactly as in the reality and have some "features" you will find out. E.g. that:

• spacships can rotate in space without using RCS.
  • rockets with a center stage and a few boosters around it will tend to rotate after liftoff when the gimbaling of the outer engines is engaged.
  • the athmosphere is bit basic (four layers), with restrictions of speed in them and so on.

At the same time KSP provides you with soloutions witch are thought of but not used in reality yet like e.g. an "asparagus" system (one outer tank feed into the next outer tank and this into the core tank (with symmetry of course)). Each of them (up to 3 pairs, if the outer tanks have the same diameter as the center tank) is jettsioned with it's engine after it is emptied. That's really exiting, isn't it?

Therefore:

Develop a functioning simple orbiter

[table=width: 400]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td]Stage[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mk16 parachute[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mk1 capsule/pod[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]TR18_a decopler[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]T_400 tank with three solar panels on it[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]LV_909 engine[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]TR18_a decopler[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2x T_300 tank[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]LV_T45 engine[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

. Then alter the design (e.g. With boosters (liquid/solid)). Maybe it's more stable, uses less fuel or looks simply better. Each variation may have it's advantages witch you will find out.

The best craft for you alter into a craft with docking capabilitys (maybe many trial and error at first, so mount a fairly large ammout of RCS fuel on your craft) or witch can do an mun flyby. If you have done a mun flyby expand your craft that it is able to land on mun.

BTW: The trial and error method is the reason why everyone have a "design catalouge" for her-/himself and every construction looks a bit different, because everybody have other prioritys.

So: Happy "craft"ing (even when KSP isn't Minecraft) and lot's of kerballike explosions for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.