Ubuntu

montyben101

Now I have two hard drives for my computer, one was being used by windows and the other was mostly empty. I decided to put Ubuntu on the spare one (well my friend did it actually (not that im blaming him I did some of it as well)). Now Windows is displaying the "Boot MGR missing" error....

So now until I can get my computer fixed I'm stuck with using Ubuntu. It runs KSP at about 3FPS, dosen't run TF2 or minecraft or in fact any game I have bothered to try on Ubuntu. I'm now faced with reinstalling windows and basically starting my computer from scratch.

The only upside is that I can backup all my files though Ubuntu onto an external hard drive...

Sorry Ubuntu isn't working out for you. If you'd post a little more information about your computer we might be able to help you get KSP working better (and Minecraft runs totally fine on Ubuntu by the way). Are you trying to launch Windows through GRUB? I think your best bet is to find your friend as he will be able to troubleshoot your issue much faster then we can here.

It is never advised to install Ubuntu together with Windows on the same machine. They have a high risk of conflicting each other. Every computer geek knows that.

This one apparently doesn't, what 'conflicts' might those be then?

My initial thought is that a Windows Recover disc will fix your problem... boot it, let it find your Win install and repair the boot manager. Then, if you want, you can try reinstalling Ubuntu the proper way, by letting it know you want a dual-boot option but with the Ubuntu system residing on that 2nd drive.

*edit*

Oh, and, do you actually have 2 physical drives? Or is it one drive with 2 logical partitions?

Word of warning: Windows boot repair (or install for that matter) will overwrite the MBR on the first disk in the machine without prompting. If you have a non-MS OS on another disk, unplug it before doing a Windows boot 'repair'.

The situation you are in now is probably fairly straightfoward to fix without reinstalling anything, but need to know disk/partition layout & where your bootloaders are/are supposed to be.

Edited by steve_v

Word of warning: Windows boot repair (or install for that matter) will overwrite the MBR on the first disk in the machine without prompting. If you have a non-MS OS on another disk, unplug it before doing a Windows 'boot repair'.

The situation you are in now is probably fairly straightfoward to fix without reinstalling anything, but need to know disk/partition layout & where your bootloaders are/are supposed to be.

I was thinking that, being he just installed Ubuntu, it wouldn't matter... he's not done anything with it yet (created data etc). But, yea that ^

What I'm thinking is that if you installed Linux second, it tends to overwrite the MBR with a new one. If it's not bringing up a proper boot menu, try switching the default boot drive to the Linux one instead; it may have your windows boot data in that MBR as well.

The windows boot manager is of absolutely no use when you want dual boot systems with Linux. It will only recognize itself. Did you install windows after you installed Ubuntu? Generally, you should do the opposite - installing Ubuntu after Windows - and the Ubuntu boot manager - GRUB - can detect any system, not just Linuxes.

So, to fix the problem: Boot Ubuntu (or any variety of distros) from a usb drive of liveCD. Then follow these instructions: http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, ill just reinstall windows. Its taught me a VERY VERY good lesson though :P

You DONT have to reinstall windows. That's quite a drastic measure for something quite simply. Just fix GRUB per last post.

The best solution for me was to install an extra hard drive. After first disconnecting the Windows drive, I then installed Kubuntu and got everything running. Then I reconnected the windows drive. Now all I have to do is tap to enter Bios on start-up and choose which hard disk to boot from. This way I didn't have to worry about any boot-loader conflicts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.