NASA Orion launch used the Jumbo-64?

davidpsummers

Heh. The orange is actually a spray-on insulation. Used on the Space Shuttle Tanks, and on the Saturn V tanks (Though there's a shell covering up the actual tanks themselves on the Saturn V)

40736898.014879_web.jpg

On the very first Space Shuttle launch, they actually painted the orange tank. But they removed the paint because of how much it weighs. I predict they will actually do the same for the Space Launch System.

Note: If I'm wrong, please politely correct me

Maybe this time they just made the foam insulation have different colors instead of painting it?

After all, you can get styrofoam in a bunch of different colors. I know they aren't using styrofoam, but there's no reason you can't make the foam they are using different colors with a similar method. Of course if that changes the mechanical or thermal properties of the foam then it won't work because it would require a bunch of new studies to make sure the new foam won't get knocked off of the rocket by aerodynamic loads or ice impacts.

Or maybe they haven't even considered what color to make the rocket yet. After all, everything we've seen of the SLS so far has been computer generated.

On topic, I think the Delta-IV tanks look more like the long un-painted 2m and 3m tanks from KW.

Of course that might be because those tanks were made to look like the Delta-IV, but I don't know if that's imitation or coincidence.

Edited by SciMan

Maybe this time they just made the foam insulation have different colors instead of painting it?

After all, you can get styrofoam in a bunch of different colors. I know they aren't using styrofoam, but there's no reason you can't make the foam they are using different colors with a similar method. Of course if that changes the mechanical or thermal properties of the foam then it won't work because it would require a bunch of new studies to make sure the new foam won't get knocked off of the rocket by aerodynamic loads or ice impacts.

Or maybe they haven't even considered what color to make the rocket yet. After all, everything we've seen of the SLS so far has been computer generated.

On topic, I think the Delta-IV tanks look more like the long un-painted 2m and 3m tanks from KW.

Of course that might be because those tanks were made to look like the Delta-IV, but I don't know if that's imitation or coincidence.

Or maybe the color is used to identify the type of foam.

On the very first Space Shuttle launch, they actually painted the orange tank. But they removed the paint because of how much it weighs. I predict they will actually do the same for the Space Launch System.

Note: If I'm wrong, please politely correct me

Only thing wrong is that they SLS will probably never be painted -- the artists' impressions showing the Saturn V style paint are for publicity. SLS' core stage will be orange from the start as far as I'm aware. Of course, it's still possible that they do paint the first one. They should have plenty of mass margin and it would be great for publicity -- throwback to the Saturn V! I doubt it'll happen, but it could.

When I was looking for the launch lifestream, I first stumed across that ksp orion video :P kinda weired how popular ksp has become compared to the public's continuously low interest in space agencies...

but the orange tanks reminded me of ksp aswell

Guess: AutoCAD and Mathmatica? Or some kind of USA (United Space Alliance) opensource/in-house versions of those??

I bet they used Blender. I mean, JPL used Blender for their "Seven Minutes of Terror" video of Curiosity.

Only thing wrong is that they SLS will probably never be painted -- the artists' impressions showing the Saturn V style paint are for publicity. SLS' core stage will be orange from the start as far as I'm aware. Of course, it's still possible that they do paint the first one. They should have plenty of mass margin and it would be great for publicity -- throwback to the Saturn V! I doubt it'll happen, but it could.

What's wrong with orange?!

I wonder if they could just tint the foam for the proper Saturn-Esque colors :P

Why are Saturn-esque colors important?

Personally I would rather have a grey-white-red style, like STS-1 but with some red in there somewhere.

BTW, Saturn tanks didn't have the same insulation as the External Tank, the orange foam was actually an EPA-approved insulation that was made a requirement (even though the SRBs are MUCH worse for the environment, but who cares?).

Better PR.

Having rockets and space vehicles that simply look cool are rather important if you want to garner the public's attention and care.

PR is a secondary goal for a rocket. The primary goal is getting to orbit. If an unpainted tank offers better performance, the PR folks' job is to explain why it's orange and not white.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.