Why we will never leave our Solar System

ping111

Well yes, but you took that quote out of context. He was talking about our internal pressure, yes, but then he went on to talk about how the gravity of the Earth counteracts it. What say you to that, sir?

Gravity does not counteract Internal pressure. External pressure counteracts Internal pressure. The external pressure may be created by the gravitational field of Earth pulling its atmosphere together, but gravity itself does not counteract internal pressure. When there is no atmosphere due to no planet\'s gravity pulling in gas, we put on a suit with its own gas inside of it, and make sure that the pressure in the suit is regulated to prevent harm. The fabrics of the suit are built tough enough to withstand the pressure difference of the vacuum and inner suit, of course. And no, the suits would not blow up like balloons. The fabric is also rigid enough to prevent that, while being flexible enough to allow movement.

In real life, you wouldn\'t even see any expanding, except for the lung area. The compressed oxygen would expand until the lungs either tore, or the air could escape.

Yes, it\'s far more likely that any expansion outside the lungs is so small that it just isn\'t noticeable.

Yeah...this is just...yeah...

Sordid, I\'m not sure what to think of you now my friend. :)

This is now how things actually work, and I can\'t prescribe to anything said in this thread as it\'s all misunderstanding, misuse, and general nonsense.

misunderstanding, misuse, and general nonsense.

AKA learning and fun through safe means. Learn it, love it, use it, PREACH IT. Everyone has their own opinions and level of learnedness, so we\'re all peacefully debating how this works.

Yeah...this is just...yeah...

Sordid, I\'m not sure what to think of you now my friend. :)

This is now how things actually work, and I can\'t prescribe to anything said in this thread as it\'s all misunderstanding, misuse, and general nonsense.

Let\'s cut ping some slack at least, his profile indicates he is only 12. When I was 12 I didn\'t have the faintest idea how this kind of stuff really worked ???.

Let\'s cut pinq some slack at least, his profile indicates he is only 12. When I was 12 I didn\'t have the faintest idea how this kind of stuff really worked ???.

However, you have no way to tell that I\'m truthful ;P

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Basicly (this has probably been said), your getting gravity and pressour of gasses mixed up. If I went to space with nothing around me, my blood would boil and I would explode, even in earth\'s gravity. This is because of the pressure of the internal gas being larger than that of the outside (which in space is very small). But if I was to seal myself in a container pressurised to the same pressure as the inside of my body, then I would be able to survive in space. Gravity has nothing to do with it.

Basicly (this has probably been said), your getting gravity and pressour of gasses mixed up. If I went to space with nothing around me, my blood would boil and I would explode, even in earth\'s gravity. This is because of the pressure of the internal gas being larger than that of the outside (which in space is very small). But if I was to seal myself in a container pressurised to the same pressure as the inside of my body, then I would be able to survive in space. Gravity has nothing to do with it.

Wouldn\'t explode unless you were made of balloon skin, but yeah, a vacuum will make you have problems in gravity or not.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Wouldn\'t explode unless you were made of balloon skin, but yeah, a vacuum will make you have problems in gravity or not.

Most likely, but he was talking about exploding, so I threw the dog a bone.

Also at the guys saying that he is only 12, well, 3 years ago (when I was twelve) I was looking into wingtip Voticies, Mental health problems and other random stuff.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

I was just backing up your point(Unless this is another case of being unable to tell tone over a screen, in which case, I am sorry).

No, I should be saying sorry to you. I couldn\'t tell what you were meaning (text is hard to take meaning from).

There is no such thing as perfect zero gravity, but there\'s a point where it becomes inconsequential - much like perfect randomness.

That really has no relevance, as balloons/fish/humans don\'t explode from a lack of gravity - they explode from a lack of pressure balance. We can create artificial gravity [centrifuges and whatnot], and we can also create a balance of pressure.

I see no problem with interstellar travel. If science fiction proves to be right and we produce 'real' artificial gravity [i.e., without centrifuges and whatnot], then the whole point becomes moot.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

There is no such thing as perfect zero gravity, but there\'s a point where it becomes inconsequential - much like perfect randomness.

That really has no relevance, as balloons/fish/humans don\'t explode from a lack of gravity - they explode from a lack of pressure balance. We can create artificial gravity [centrifuges and whatnot], and we can also create a balance of pressure.

I see no problem with interstellar travel. If science fiction proves to be right and we produce 'real' artificial gravity [i.e., without centrifuges and whatnot], then the whole point becomes moot.

Thank you.

After reading the OP, I was reminded of these quotes:

Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.

- Dr. Dionysus Lardner (1793-1859), Professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy at University College, London.

Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.

- Lord Kelvin (1824-1907), ca. 1895, British mathematician and physicist

...no possible combination of known substances, known forms of machinery, and known forms of force, can be united in a practical machine by which man shall fly long distances through the air...

- Simon Newcomb (1835-1909), astronomer, head of the U. S. Naval Observatory.

This foolish idea of shooting at the moon is an example of the absurd length to which vicious specialization will carry scientists working in thought-tight compartments. Let us critically examine the proposal. For a projectile entirely to escape the gravitation of earth, it needs a velocity of 7 miles a second. The thermal energy of a gramme at this speed is 15,180 calories... The energy of our most violent explosive--nitroglycerine--is less than 1,500 calories per gramme. Consequently, even had the explosive nothing to carry, it has only one-tenth of the energy necessary to escape the earth... Hence the proposition appears to be basically impossible.

- W. A. Bickerton, Professor of Physics and Chemistry at Canterbury College (Christchurch, New Zealand), 1926.

To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth--all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances.

- Lee deForest (1873-1961) (American radio pioneer and inventor of the vacuum tube.) Feb 25, 1957.

Computers in the future may...perhaps only weigh 1.5 tons.

- Popular Mechanics, 1949.

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.

- Kenneth Olsen, president and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.

- Albert Einstein, 1932.

And I\'ll reply with even more quotes:

I confess that in 1901 I said to my brother Orville that man would not fly for fifty years. Two years later we ourselves made flights. This demonstration of my impotence as a prophet gave me such a shock that ever since I have distrusted myself and avoided all predictions.

- Wilbur Wright (1867-1912) [in a speech to the Aero Club of France (Nov 5, 1908)

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can\'t be done.

- Peter Ustinov

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

- Robert Goddard (1882-1945)

And, to finish off with Sir Arthur C. Clarke and his three \'laws\' of prediction:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

So this isn\'t a joke?

Ok. Well... It seems you\'re describing our body popping as a balloon. In deep space, the spacecraft itself will be pressurized, as is a suit in Trans Earth Coast (Apollo\'s 15-17 CMP did spacewalks further away from Earth than anyone else). This pressure stops our body from expanding and our fluids to 'boil' in the vacuum of space. Think of it like a restraining layer in a spacesuit. The suit will continue to expand until it pops or results in the inability to move without a restraining layer, which 'compresses' all of that pressure. The atmospheric control inside a spacecraft stops our body, blood, fluids, etc from bubbling up...

Guest GroundHOG-2010

???

There is enough scientific fail in this thread to feed a thousand crocoducks,

Fortunately a few more knowledgeable members have come to the rescue.

But seriously

tumblr_lv77tsKyJB1qzmowao1_500.png

Yeh, he\'s a twelve year old that has got this off a few youtube videos and a science teachers (not speaking bad of science teachers, espectailly because we have one who has a phd in astrophysics). At the 12 year old level its a good asumption to make . But he has made one flaw, that instead of chemical bonds holding us together, its gravity (at least its not like atoms through the years. First it starts out with telling you that the electrons have specific orbits, then the next year the size, then the next year the fact that they don\'t orbit in these specific orbits, but are all over the place).

I think if you were exposed to a vacuum long enough, it COULD rupture your skin, especially in the thinner areas... I couldn\'t imagine how bad it would hurt to be subjected to space and your balls explode... lol

I think if you were exposed to a vacuum long enough, it COULD rupture your skin, especially in the thinner areas... I couldn\'t imagine how bad it would hurt to be subjected to space and your balls explode... lol

You\'d be dead before that would happen, thankfully.

Well other issues do arise through long exposure to zero-g. For example blood pressure equalises throughout the body. This could cause dangerous effects over a period of years (which would definitely be more than the time needed).