[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I`m fed up with just not having a useable addon. I`m going back to 3.3.4 which worked fine for me except that the default image that was overwritten by the map data was the "No mapping data" image. I`d rather have an old working version athan a new shiny non functional version.

On a completely fresh install of 20.2 mapsat causes a new craft to crash the game when going to the launchpad. It can`t be the artifacts and it can`t be an old install. I have the usual mod suspects (kethane, mechjeb, alarm clock kspx etc)

Also my main machine is often not connected to the internet. If those SOHO images are forced then that may be it.

Personally I don`t want images of Sol when I look at Kerbol (or the sun). I especially don`t want any plugins to access the internet while I play, it always messes stuff up for me.

Finally worked out a method of using MapSat with multiple probes on a carrier that reduces hair loss to reasonable levels. :)

1. Edit the part.cfgs for both ISA_GPS and ISA_MapSat parts, changing "module = ISA_MapSat" to "module = Part". That renders the parts completely inert. Delete the plugin DLL itself, it won't be working anyway.
  2. Assemble ship as normal, placing as many dishes on it as you like - at the moment, they're merely decorative parts. Launch it, get it to the destination.
  3. When the dishes are all separated and in place, and at least 2.3km away from each other, THEN you save, and replace the plugin DLL where it belongs and change the parts back.
  4. Voila, upon loading, you have ships with active dishes and no more than one dish on them, which, grudgingly, work without making you tear hair out too soon.

This is incredibly cumbersome, but at least it's sufficiently effective.

Edited by Mihara

Hopefully, a future update can add the ability to right click and disable the modules or something to help with that. Maybe even move over to the newer module method too, to allow MapSat functionality on other parts.

Hopefully, a future update can add the ability to right click and disable the modules or something to help with that.

If the actual problem isn't located and fixed -- and I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of infinite loop there that only manifests in certain conditions -- such a disable switch won't do a thing, because you never actually see the modules to rightclick them before it freezes for good.

That infinite loop is beside the problems caused apparently by not sharing data in memory between multiple dishes and keeping more maps in memory than needed.

When i use this devbuild it messes up my game. my kerbonauts faces dont show up, they are just blank boxes. also text in other mods such as MechJeb does not show up properly. maybe im doing something stupid, but i dont know what. does anyone else have this problem, and how did you fix it?

I can't even launch a satellite with a single dish. I made a Kethane scanner/ISA Mapper satellite. If I try and launch it the game either crashes, or the launch scene never loads. Removing the MAPSAT dish fixes the issue. I'm not seeing any unusual RAM usage. I have yet to test with no other mods installed, but that's irrelevant because I'm never going to be using just MAPSAT. I'm going to run a few more tests, but right now it seems like the problem is MAPSAT-specific. To be expected with a dev version :P.

I get what I think may be the same issue, here is what I saw both times. Scenario is launching a simple satellite with two dishes. Altitude reaches about 4km, about 200 m/s and the game crashed twice in a row at almost the exact same point. I reduced all the display settings down to bare bones for this and repeated it twice in a row. Admittedly, this is an antique system by some standards with only 2G RAM but runs stock beautifully:

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

(0x007D3AF6) (KSP): (filename not available): Unity::Component::CalculateSupportedMessages + 0x61bf6
(0x007BF7DE) (KSP): (filename not available): Unity::Component::CalculateSupportedMessages + 0x4d8de
(0x007BDE65) (KSP): (filename not available): Unity::Component::CalculateSupportedMessages + 0x4bf65
(0x0057C4A4) (KSP): (filename not available): RemapPPtrTransfer::TransferTypelessData + 0xfac4
(0x00585A70) (KSP): (filename not available): MemLabelId::operator== + 0x1730
(0x006EFB59) (KSP): (filename not available): RegisterModule_Navigation + 0x23239
(0x5BE031CC) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:EncodeToPNG () + 0x2c (5BE031A0 5BE03209) [02BE4E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x5BE0301A) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): ISA_MapSat:saveCurrentMap () + 0xd2 (5BE02F48 5BE03193) [02BE4E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x5BDE75DE) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): ISA_MapSat:onPartUpdate () + 0x4ee (5BDE70F0 5BDE7DFB) [02BE4E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x07FDF541) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Part:Update () + 0xc1 (07FDF480 07FDF588) [02BE4E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x030CE629) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) + 0x41 (030CE5E8 030CE67D) [02BE4E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x100EFF9C) (mono): (filename not available): mono_set_defaults + 0x22b8
(0x1005EBBE) (mono): (filename not available): mono_runtime_invoke + 0x51
(0x00618638) (KSP): (filename not available): RaiseNullExceptionObject + 0xa288
(0x00618326) (KSP): (filename not available): RaiseNullExceptionObject + 0x9f76
(0x00617F05) (KSP): (filename not available): RaiseNullExceptionObject + 0x9b55
(0x0060D698) (KSP): (filename not available): GetMonoBehaviourInConstructor + 0x1788
(0x0060D701) (KSP): (filename not available): GetMonoBehaviourInConstructor + 0x17f1
(0x0060D717) (KSP): (filename not available): GetMonoBehaviourInConstructor + 0x1807
(0x005E11F5) (KSP): (filename not available): QuaternionToEuler + 0x2aa85
(0x00679C9D) (KSP): (filename not available): PlayerMainWndProc + 0x5ad
(0x0067B3CB) (KSP): (filename not available): PlayerWinMain + 0x96b
(0x007A8648) (KSP): (filename not available): Unity::Component::CalculateSupportedMessages + 0x36748
(0x007D9D50) (KSP): (filename not available): Unity::Component::CalculateSupportedMessages + 0x67e50
(0x7C81776F) (kernel32): (filename not available): RegisterWaitForInputIdle + 0x49

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

I am imagining it is happening at the step/s just before the "runtime_invoke_void_this_" call.

Edited by darisd

If the actual problem isn't located and fixed -- and I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of infinite loop there that only manifests in certain conditions -- such a disable switch won't do a thing, because you never actually see the modules to rightclick them before it freezes for good.

That infinite loop is beside the problems caused apparently by not sharing data in memory between multiple dishes and keeping more maps in memory than needed.

Yes, although if there was a way to activate and deactivate individual modules, it's easy enough to start them all out already deactivated. Assuming the problem itself isn't found or fixed.

I've been using your dev release since it came out. I am very impressed and have not had any of the problems listed. So far I have mapped Kerbin, Mun, Duna, part of Dres, Tylo, Bop, and Vall so I have run it lot. The picture of the newer interface you posted at the top looks great. As for my wish list:

1. Automatically center on ship position.

2. The ability to re-size the entire map display. My eyes aren't so good anymore so I would like to be able to make it bigger when needed.

3. The ability to change the color gradients.

4. Choice of units for coordinates.

5. Ability to paste to MechJeb

6. A tool to allow me to add notes to locations. I see that would make this more than a mapping utility in that it I would use it like a log of what I have explored and would have it when I decide to go back to those places in force.

All those are just wishes because this is very impressive as it stands. Very good work and thank you.

I've been using your dev release since it came out. I am very impressed and have not had any of the problems listed. So far I have mapped Kerbin, Mun, Duna, part of Dres, Tylo, Bop, and Vall so I have run it lot. The picture of the newer interface you posted at the top looks great. As for my wish list:

1. Automatically center on ship position.

2. The ability to re-size the entire map display. My eyes aren't so good anymore so I would like to be able to make it bigger when needed.

3. The ability to change the color gradients.

4. Choice of units for coordinates.

5. Ability to paste to MechJeb

6. A tool to allow me to add notes to locations. I see that would make this more than a mapping utility in that it I would use it like a log of what I have explored and would have it when I decide to go back to those places in force.

All those are just wishes because this is very impressive as it stands. Very good work and thank you.

I only started using MapSat since 0.20, so I've only used version X4r1. I've also not run into any of the problems other folks have had, though I have not tried launching anything with more than 1 satellite dish installed. Since I started using MapSat, I've mapped Kerbin, the Mun, Minmus, Ike, Duna, Eve and Gilly without any issues. That said, I hope that the developer is able to fix whatever is causing the issues that some folks are having, so they can enjoy this mod as much as I've been enjoying it.

As to Rod4Rodger's suggestions (wish list), I agree with everything on it, and would love to see those features implemented in a future version! On my main pc, I play on 3 screens in nVidia Surround mode, so I keep my mechjeb windows open on the right-hand screen, and my map open on the left-hand screen. I would LOVE to be able to display the map there in a much larger size! The ability to make notes right on the map would be phenomenal! But I would like to see the notes saved on a separate "layer" that's overlaid over the actual map. That way, the text doesn't become part of the image (and could be toggled on and off, and could easily be cleared/changed without affecting the actual map image.)

-George

Every time I add the dev version of the satellite or the GPS, the game freezes at the launchpad.

Anybody know a solution to this? This is my favorite mod but hasn't been able to work since .20 for me :\

Just to complicate things, it appears there is a fundamental issue with the way some (all?) files are read in .20+ that manifests for some people but not others:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/32897-Excessive-start-up-loading-times

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29176

That could be messing with this here, tl;dr as far as I can tell the way files are loaded has changed so that in the end it uses the windows web fetching calls so things like anti-spyware and firewalls and IE proxy settings/plugins could be mucking with things but there is more to the issue then just that and gets into realms like yielding processor time in a multi-threaded environment.

tl;dr of the post + tl;dr there are a lot of people looking at it including Squad and I am not sure if they are any closer to figuring out what is going on ;) But since it involves loading data from files, it could very well be having an impact on what people are seeing and it seems to be different for different people - just like this issue.

Hello everyone!

I have been a fan since ISA Mapsat first came out. I love this mod!

I recently updated yesterday to the most recent KSP version (I think it is 0.20.2). I tried installing ISA Mapsat the way I would prior to the new game data structure. When I load up the game, the parts are there and seem normal but when I begin to load my craft, there is no interface at all on the screen relating to ISA Mapsat. I tried right clicking on the parts and I got nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, has anyone figured out what is wrong?

I tried Versions 3.31 and the 4.0 Dev Build as well but I keep getting the same problem. I have a fresh KSP_Win folder with no mods in it that I am trying to get this to work with. Any help is much appreciated :)

Regardless, this is of no help. I've changed the resolution back and forth and it's still faded horribly if I scan even at 50x, where the old ISA mapsat used to scan maximum and without issue.

This is a problem making it absurdly time consuming to scan a planet.

Have you tried scanning from higher orbits? I made a great map from a 427 km Orbit (at 10x timewarp) and recorded some 700 MB of CSV data in the process. This took just one night. I think in the old version, the map would have been still quite patchy at this altitude, and certainly not usable for the higher default resolution in the new version. This was with a scan resolution of 250. Also, the 500 km limit apparently doesn't exist anymore, so you can try even higher orbits. I was actually thinking I should complain that the new scanning technology made it to easy to scan a planet.

Edit, to clarify: With the new version, scanning the whole planet took about 15 hours mission time, while you'd need plan with about 39 hours and an ~82 km orbit in the old version to fill a 2048 x 1024 map.

Edited by Lexif
corrected orbit altitude

Hello everyone!

I have been a fan since ISA Mapsat first came out. I love this mod!

I recently updated yesterday to the most recent KSP version (I think it is 0.20.2). I tried installing ISA Mapsat the way I would prior to the new game data structure. When I load up the game, the parts are there and seem normal but when I begin to load my craft, there is no interface at all on the screen relating to ISA Mapsat. I tried right clicking on the parts and I got nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, has anyone figured out what is wrong?

I tried Versions 3.31 and the 4.0 Dev Build as well but I keep getting the same problem. I have a fresh KSP_Win folder with no mods in it that I am trying to get this to work with. Any help is much appreciated :)

your installing it wrong. you have to use the dev build from the blog page and you have to install it using the new 0.20+ method. unzip and then drop the ISA folder into game data. Most mods are changing over to using this method, if your still unsure there is a post in support forum detailing how to properly put stuff into gamedata folder

I can't find where to download this... on the frist page I find the 3.3.1 version. Where do I find the new one?

It's available to download through the developer's blog. Here's the posting, the link for the dev version is below the CODE box.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update

Look for the button with a drafting compass on it. Should be in the lower left corner of your screen, by the attitude needles.

After you install it, you'll need to add either a MapSat GPS (just for viewing maps) or a MapSat Satellite Dish (for both making and viewing maps) on your ship. When you leave the VAB and go to the Launchpad, there should be a small button on the bottom left side of the screen that looks like a compass (the kind you draw circles with, not a magnetic compass.) When you click on that, it should bring up the MapSat interface. Remember that this mod has to be installed the "new" way (into the GameData folder). When installed the new way, you should wind up with an "Innsewerants Space Agency" folder inside your GameData folder. Good luck! :)

-George

Look for the button with a drafting compass on it. Should be in the lower left corner of your screen, by the attitude needles.

Ain't there, that's the problem.

The parts are working. The dish is turning towards targets and anything, but as I don't have that button...

Mapsat (4.0 Beta 1) works great for me around Kerbin and the Mun, but on Minmus it lags like nobody's business when I place some sats in a 50K orbit. Is this a known issue?

your installing it wrong. you have to use the dev build from the blog page and you have to install it using the new 0.20+ method. unzip and then drop the ISA folder into game data. Most mods are changing over to using this method, if your still unsure there is a post in support forum detailing how to properly put stuff into gamedata folder

That's not true at all. You do not HAVE to use the dev version at all. And, in fact, if you have (or intend to add) a lot of highly-textured parts as add-ons as well (e.g. Novapunch or KW Rocketry or BobCat's packs), diggydax, I'd strongly suggest that you NOT install the dev version, as you're highly likely to run into memory problems if you do.

Verson 3.3.4 -- available here -- works perfectly fine in 0.20.2, using the "legacy" file structure for installation. Parts go in the top level "Parts" folder, the plugin .dll goes in the "Plugins" folder, and the "isa_mapsat" folder goes in the "PluginData" folder. Note that if you're using a brand new clean install, you have to create the "PluginData" folder yourself -- and make sure you spell it exactly that way -- in the top level of your KSP install if you haven't yet run the newly-installed program. (I believe KSP.exe will create the folder on its first run, but I'm not 100% sure of that.)

diggydax, if you've done all that and still have issues, let us know....

I can confirm that this has happened to me as well. The dev version freezes on start up for me, but the 3.31 version functions just like yours: No GUI or "compass" in the corner of the screen.