[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Hi all,

I wanted to remind you to back up your csv files before updating ksp when 0.15 rolls in.

Just in case something breaks, the data gathering for example.

Some updates on what I\'ve been doing during my long bouts of forum silence.

-Working on in game gui to view small maps and planetary information, live data view etc.

(sneak development preview, note the interface has had 0 attention until I figure out which of all my idea\'s are doable and which aren\'t, the 2 artefacts are just test values. screenshot1, screenshot2

The windows will likely shrink, the planet information is a separate window you can toggle on/off.

-Controlling mapgen from ksp (on windows)

(Won\'t allow you to use a window exe (mapgen) with mac, but you will get the ingame map and the texture will be saved, you wont have the options of mapgen though :( . I\'ve seen smitezero\'s java based viewer and it\'s coming along nicely, I am hoping this will provide a solution to mac users for rendering big maps.

-Yet another new code for the beam, it shouldn\'t become an infinite resolution minibeam at the poles, my bad.

This is a big feature update, my code has grown to 4 times the length of the current dll so this may be a while before it\'s out and well lets just hope 0.15 doesn\'t break everything.

I still need to work my experimentations into a usable gui, currently it doesn\'t keep artefacts on kerbin and mun separate for example and the gui itself needs some layout-ing love.

congrats corax if no duplicates you are about 1/3rd to a full set lol

congrats corax if no duplicates you are about 1/3rd to a full set lol

I\'d reckon there are quite a few duplicates in there, I haven\'t done any cleanup yet. Also I\'m using the telemetry plugin, so no extra-wide scan paths. I\'ve put up a map there, I\'m still gathering more data to refine the map resolution.

I\'d reckon there are quite a few duplicates in there, I haven\'t done any cleanup yet. Also I\'m using the telemetry plugin, so no extra-wide scan paths. I\'ve put up a map there, I\'m still gathering more data to refine the map resolution.

How do you mean use telemetry? The last version I checked doesn\'t actually get you terrain elevation or any numbers that you can calculate into actual terrain elevation or my mod would have never started, telemetry was what i checked first before getting the idea to make a mod myself.

I must admit that I couldn\'t understand the point of this plug-in when I first saw it. Like, why would I want to spend my time mapping a fictional planet? Similar to how playing flight simulator to ship cargo from New York to London seems pretty pointless (unless you really love shipping cargo).

But, having let it run for the past 24 hours (and no orbit mishaps), it\'s fascinating. The geometry is amazing. And it\'s fun seeing how different altitudes and inclinations impact what gets output. And now the perfectionist in me wants to try and create the most perfectly formed orbital map ever.

Ha, thanks! I stayed up way past my bedtime, but managed to get an almost perfectly circular orbit. 5 meters difference between Ap and Pe. It doesn\'t seem to stay that low for long - it goes back to being around 20 meters difference. I\'m going to be a zombie in the morning. ???

How do you mean use telemetry? The last version I checked doesn\'t actually get you terrain elevation or any numbers that you can calculate into actual terrain elevation or my mod would have never started, telemetry was what i checked first before getting the idea to make a mod myself.

With the last released version (2012-04-08), you can get ASL and AGL, from which you can calculate terrain elevation, as long as you stay low enough. The current version (waiting for 0.15 to release) will use giucam\'s method of getting terrain elevation and so will work (is working) from higher altitudes as well.

yeh the pqs code is recommended, the data collected with the mapper is straight from pqs, iow the raw data fed to pqs terrain as it were before it decides the lod to approximate it with.

pity you don\'t use the mapper for it though, any particular reason?

asl and agl never gave me usable terrain elevation btw nothing resembling any accuracy, afaik it\'s relative to the base sphere of the planet not terrain elevation. But as I said last I checked telemetry was before I made this.

Also if it uses anything that uses the collision mesh like raycasts your data will depend on the lod level of the terrain, the current one in the mapper is independent of current terrain lod.

tbh I\'m not sure if mapgen will process 4gb successfully, hadn\'t had the chance to test such file sizes yet. oO

ah well anyone can use the code currently in place, I think it came from mu after speaking to him yesterday but I\'m not sure. Giucam was the one who shared it with me back then though but also said he didn\'t understand why it worked (have figured it out by now though lol) , that combined with a little chat with mu yesterday makes me think it came from mu but I\'m not certain.

pity you don\'t use the mapper for it though, any particular reason?

Mainly just because I\'m busy developing and testing the telemetry plugin.

I do like your mapper and especially the nice antenna part, and I think it\'s very good to have an integrated data collection/mapping solution ;)

The telemetry module, while it can collect elevation data, is primarily meant to make available as much other flight data as possible, and requires much more effort to process the data into something useful from the user\'s perspective.

asl and agl never gave me usable terrain elevation btw nothing resembling any accuracy, afaik it\'s relative to the base sphere of the planet not terrain elevation. But as I said last I checked telemetry was before I made this.

Also if it uses anything that uses the collision mesh like raycasts your data will depend on the lod level of the terrain, the current one in the mapper is independent of current terrain lod.

[...]

ah well anyone can use the code currently in place, I think it came from mu after speaking to him yesterday but I\'m not sure. Giucam was the one who shared it with me back then though but also said he didn\'t understand why it worked (have figured it out by now though lol) , that combined with a little chat with mu yesterday makes me think it came from mu but I\'m not certain.

I\'ve mapped large parts of the Mun with ASL/AGL data; the main problem was that you basically had to orbit below the height of the highest peaks to gather any useful data. As you said, the old method was depending on LOD, but that was before PQS even existed.

I stumbled on giucam\'s code in this thread, found it worked partially, and found how to make it work properly about the same time you all figured out the solution ;)

I wasn\'t aware of Mu\'s involvement, but it seems plausible he\'d know quite a bit about how PQS works :)

tbh I\'m not sure if mapgen will process 4gb successfully, hadn\'t had the chance to test such file sizes yet. oO

Actually my data file is well over 8GB, with roughly half of it relevant to mapping data. I\'m using gnuplot to create maps, or any other data visualizations (thrust curves, atmospheric data, etc.), and while it does take its time, it hasn\'t let me down so far.

FYI, I build a Perl script to prepare data for input into QuikGrid. I was processing a 70 meg file on an old single-core 32 bit Athlon 2800+ in thirty seconds with it.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
for (<>) {
my ($lat, $lon, $alt) = split(/;/,$_);
($lon, $lat) = fix_data($lon, $lat)
if ($lon < -180 or $lon > 180 or $lat < -90 or $lat > 90);
print '$lon $lat $alt';
}

sub fix_data {
my ($lon, $lat) = @_;
$lon += 360 while ($lon < -180);
$lon -= 360 while ($lon > 180);
$lat += 180 while ($lat < -90);
$lat -= 180 while ($lat > 90);
return ($lon, $lat);
}

To use, cat your files and pipe it in on Standard I/O, then pipe the results to file.

I could probably get some minor performance gain if I tweaked a few things, but it\'s already stupidly fast. I just processed a 119M file in fifty seconds.

Awesome RD! I\'ll d/l later tonight.

grrr: file times out. Does it zip up nice and small?

Okay, got 88 meg to d/l but it\'s very large to manage. I\'ll see if I can shrink this down without affecting quality ...

Ugh. I fall for this every time. The attached csv file isn\'t really a csv file. Not RD\'s fault. Note to others - attached csv file has semi-colons instead of comma\'s!

So Ranger\'s data has some very odd numbers in them - over 360 degrees in longitude. I\'m going to shelve that and move on to SasquatchM data - but it\'s only 7 meg so that\'s also odd ...

Edit: File is good - an almost complete set of data points. Deduping and \'touching up\' the map for clarity. Will parcel file and re-attach for those that would find this handy. Thanks SAS!

Edit: I\'ve got 1.4 mill datapoints down to just under 1 million. Will post when I have something worth sharing.

Thanks to SAS we now have a usable map of Kerbin. 8)

Note locations marked on map.

The * means the name is not confirmed and you can nominate a name.

The R means the area is a region and not a single feature.

Thanks SAS. I\'ll work out a way to bundle this up.

Awesome RD! I\'ll d/l later tonight.

grrr: file times out. Does it zip up nice and small?

Okay, got 88 meg to d/l but it\'s very large to manage. I\'ll see if I can shrink this down without affecting quality ...

Whoops, didn\'t think to zip it ???.

Ugh. I fall for this every time. The attached csv file isn\'t really a csv file. Not RD\'s fault. Note to others - attached csv file has semi-colons instead of comma\'s!

Does the plugin write commas instead of semicolons now? I must have missed an update!

Open console window, then something like this

cd c:\where\ever\the\mapper\is
mapgen 1000 otherArgument otherArgument2

Correct me if wrong, typing without thinking...

...I don\'t really understand that :-[ ...

...I don\'t really understand that :-[ ...

For example

I would type out

cd C:\Users\Devin\Documents\My Games\KSP_win\isa_RAM_Mapper

Then hit enter

Then I would type out

isa_RAM_MapGen.exe Argument1 Argument2

With Argument1, Argument2, and so on being some combination of the MapGen arguments from the 1st page. Then just hit enter again and it should take a little bit for the program to run through all the data. I takes my laptop around 40 seconds to run through a 90mb file.

For example

I would type out

cd C:\Users\Devin\Documents\My Games\KSP_win\isa_RAM_Mapper

Then hit enter

Then I would type out

isa_RAM_MapGen.exe Argument1 Argument2

With Argument1, Argument2, and so on being some combination of the MapGen arguments from the 1st page. Then just hit enter again and it should take a little bit for the program to run through all the data. I takes my laptop around 40 seconds to run through a 90mb file.

Oh! Thanks RD, and Kreuzung! :D