[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Thanks Emeegeemee! I assume once I map a celestial body I just need to use the GPS unit? I used Mapsat a long time ago several versions back, then I took a long break from KSP and now I just can't remember all these things for the life of me, or well, I have a vague idea of how things work just... not 100% sure, and I would like my new missions to not get screwed by a silly mistake thanks to my memory D: or lack of it.

Yep just use the GPS.

Welcome back to ksp.

There shouldn't be any lag so long as the mapsat is off

Thanks for the welcome and the tip in the quote. How do you turn the satellite dish off though? I tried right-clicking the part to stop it from mapping but didn't work.

Bottom left of the launchpad screen, you'll see a button with a drafting compass on it. Click that, then click the button on the panel that appears next marked "Map Drawing - On". That will toggle it off.

Edited by Guest

We can all read some guy heard from this other guy. There is a reason hearsay is not allowed in court; it is highly unreliable.

Point taken but I've actually talked to him last week when I sent the fix to the stuttering issue to innsewerants.

*coughs

Hello, Camacha you can be assured Emee and I really spoke with each other.

Everyone, sorry for my silence and stuff. No I'm not dead and neither is Mapsat.

See:

mapsatisntdead.png

Not dead. Just dusty :)

Analogue life just had priority for a while over my digital one.

About Mapsat, I've resumed working on my new update that I've shown on occasion before.

Atm I'm not satisfied with X4 to make it a public 4.0 yet, mainly performance balancing on the high res scanning and there are still features I would prefer to add before releasing it.

My time right now is mostly taken up by "analogue" things though. But I'm back again and I am working to finish the long due update that got halted somewhere halfway.

The current release seems to be working good enough on 19.x apart from weird "directly above ksc" lag. This is fixed in my dev build of x4.

Turning off scanning during launches should alleviate the problem, there's no valuable mapping being done while launching so turning it off during that stage shouldn't affect your mapping.

In the mean time for those who haven't replaced or let Mapsat rebuild the hilo.dat file and are having problems with new bodies you can get my "official" file here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49791830/ksp%20addons/hilo.dat

Replace the one in plugindata/isa_mapsat .

What else? em.. no I think that's it.

I haven't backtracked the whole forum thread since I last was here so if there is anything pressing you want to ask me please do so.

It's very late here, time for me to go to bed.

Will check back more frequently again.

Edited by Innsewerants

New update looks great.

Just a few ideas:

Ability to map different types of data (day/night areas, terrain color)

Ability to draw on the map your orbit and "future" orbit, similar to how MapMFD for Orbiter does.

No idea if the above is possible with plugins, but either way nice job so far :)

New update looks great.

Just a few ideas:

Ability to map different types of data (day/night areas, terrain color)

Ability to draw on the map your orbit and "future" orbit, similar to how MapMFD for Orbiter does.

No idea if the above is possible with plugins, but either way nice job so far :)

How do you mean day/night area's? those change constantly?

I've been playing with colour maps for a while but haven't found a reliable way of doing it, I haven't had the chance to dig into 19.x much though so maybe I can do it now, it's definitely something I would like to see in Mapsat.

I will check out MapMFD to see what you mean, I haven't dabbled in that because I didn't want to make Mapsat too much of a flight instrument but I'll take a look.

--

Question to everyone, since I can't currently be the most active mod dev in the world lol, would you all like me to "blog" about development whenever I worked on it? So even if things take long and or have big pauses you have a better sense of my non-deadness and what's being worked on for mapsat and other mods?

Something simple, like "hey all today I had some time to work on some performance tweaks" type updates, short and to the point.

Let me know :)

That new and improved MapSat looks great. I can't wait. :D

I believe what Deadshot means with 'day/night' is similar to what you see on the image below. The 'shadow' is an extra layer on top of the map that is moved along with the planets rotation.

glsl_shademap_large.jpg

*coughs

Hello, Camacha you can be assured Emee and I really spoke with each other. Everyone, sorry for my silence and stuff. No I'm not dead and neither is Mapsat.

You are just some guy posting on a forum saying that he made MapSat... :D Welcome back, I am glad to hear both and that my disbelieve proved unnecessary.

See:

mapsatisntdead.png

The only thing I can say is that it might be good to be careful deviating to much from the stock look. The new functions sound incredibly awesome, though I am not sure I am a big fan of the cursive used in the menu. Minor quibbles though! I also second the idea above that you'd have to earn the data from Kerbalpedia; that is entirely in keeping with MapSat and makes it a lot more fun too! It makes sending probes sensible.

Edited by Camacha

Maybe add a new part, MapSat Atmospheric Probes, that can be placed on a orbiter and can be launched into a planet's atmosphere to "Gather Relevant Data" for the Kerbalpedia. It will fill in the Atmospheric altitudes, density and makeup. and those parts could stay blank until one is launched ?

Question: I've read some way into this thread but I've not seen an answer, how does the co-ordinates of MapSat co-relate to the autoland co-ordinates of MechJeb? That is, if you mouse over the Map and see 62.1, -148.3 (chosen at random... there's nothing there... or IS there?) do you enter the .1 and .3 into the first, second or third window of MechJeb? Ideally it would be nice to have a "Click here on MapSat to click your cursor there on the main map" to allow Mechjeb and others to pick up where you'd like to aim for...

Question: I've read some way into this thread but I've not seen an answer, how does the co-ordinates of MapSat co-relate to the autoland co-ordinates of MechJeb? That is, if you mouse over the Map and see 62.1, -148.3 (chosen at random... there's nothing there... or IS there?) do you enter the .1 and .3 into the first, second or third window of MechJeb? Ideally it would be nice to have a "Click here on MapSat to click your cursor there on the main map" to allow Mechjeb and others to pick up where you'd like to aim for...

If you're using MJ 1.9.8 it has a button marked DEC click that and you can input the numbers the ISA map gives you. Per my request the MJ developers are adding that feature back into MJ 2.0 for those of us who use ISA and Kethane mods. If you're using MJ 2.07 your only current option is to see what the coordinates are on the map then click "Select Target From Map" in Mj and mouse over the planet till you find the location you want and click that spot for MJ to land on it.

remember its degree minutes seconds.

so 62

.1x60=6 so 62 06 00 N if you wind up with another decimal like 6.1 for example just take the .1 and multiply by 60 and it would wind up being 62 06 06

.3x60=18 so 148 18 00 W since its a negative number.

you can also do what gundam said except that you can click anywhere on the body. then input the numbers and it will go there. or just get the latest dev build and they fixed it where you can just put the numbers in directly and it work.

This feature is in the new version, unless r4m0n removed it from his end of the deal the next version has a feature where you click on the map and the coordinates get put into mechjeb automagically.

----

Also, blogging from now on whenever I had the chance to work on Mapsat I will do a quick update here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/300-I-m-not-dead-nor-is-Mapsat-abandoned-and-also-a-blog!